Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

srumball wrote: »

I think the 260X makes no sense compared to the GTX750 really. They're about the same price, similar in speed, but the 260X is a power guzzling monster in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

SickBoy wrote: »

That Amazon one is the exact one I was looking at.
    Thanks for the help all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Early Christmas present win. I see some overclocking fun in my future.

3QbBd2fl.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Serephucus wrote: »
    Early Christmas present win. I see some overclocking fun in my future.

3QbBd2fl.jpg

From what I seen the Pentium is really fun to overclock with, some really high clocks too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

headtracking kit arrived in work this morning - cant wait to try it out at home (DCS a10, and prob Elite Dangerous when released)

couldnt justify the trackir5 cost with Rift due in the next year, so went cheaper PS3eye, facetracknoir+pointtracker. Will take a bit of fettling but sure thats half the craic :)

worst part of getting ****e delivered to work.. it sitting there till 5pm lookin at ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Wossack wrote: »
    headtracking kit arrived in work this morning - cant wait to try it out at home (DCS a10, and prob Elite Dangerous when released)

couldnt justify the trackir5 cost with Rift due in the next year, so went cheaper PS3eye, facetracknoir+pointtracker. Will take a bit of fettling but sure thats half the craic :)

worst part of getting ****e delivered to work.. it sitting there till 5pm lookin at ya

Open now.
    Try on.
    Post Pics.
    ?????
    PROFIT!

that'd get some looks alright lol - it aint much to look at really, 3 infrared leds on a boom, that you attach to headphones - http://www.delanengineering.com/

Ps3eye camera is modified then to only pick up IR, so just see's 3 dots. The software does the 'step 4 ?????' stuff then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Sweet lord. Dabs are a nightmare to deal with. Orders split, tracking numbers lost, incorrect addresses, shipments returned.....

:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

roast wrote: »
    Sweet lord. Dabs are a nightmare to deal with. Orders split, tracking numbers lost, incorrect addresses, shipments returned.....

:(

Never had a problem with dabs. Is there now a new option to 'ship as soon as possible when in order/multiple parcels'?

I see AMD released a bunch of new features on their new drivers, including Super Resolution, better video playback and APU optimizations etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Never had a problem with dabs. Is there now a new option to 'ship as soon as possible when in order/multiple parcels'?

Nope. What happened was that one of the items I ordered wasn't in stock in Dabs warehouse, so came directly from their supplier. For whatever reason, they couldn't give me a tracking number, or even tell me who the courier was.
    That in combination with the fact that Dabs package labeling is, shall we say, poorly structured, I didn't receive the delivery and it's been sent back.

If only the stock checker on the website was correct in the first place, I probably would have chosen a different item.

So the Pentium is up and running (under 480mm worth of thick rad, no less :P), and the last of the bubbles are making their way out of the loop now.

Sadly, I dropped two of my GTs on the floor during the swap over (and they're basically useless), so it looks like I'll be trying out EK's new Vardar fans when they show up!

Haven't done any OCing yet (tired), but initial indications are pretty good. The max temp I hit at stock was 51°C with IBT (win!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

So the Pentium is up and running (under 480mm worth of thick rad, no less :P), and the last of the bubbles are making their way out of the loop now.

Sadly, I dropped two of my GTs on the floor during the swap over (and they're basically useless), so it looks like I'll be trying out EK's new Vardar fans when they show up!

Haven't done any OCing yet (tired), but initial indications are pretty good. The max temp I hit at stock was 51°C with IBT (win!).

Sweet, dat overkill cooling :D You might be able to get 5ghz with it haha. Not sure if that would be a safe overclock though (voltage -sie for long term stability).

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Hopefully 4.8 should be doable though.

So, some more impressions:

4.4 seems stable-ish at 1.25V, which isn't the best by G3258 standards, as far as I can tell. The chip gets up to around 75°C (avg. 68) with IBT under those settings, which is fairly toasty.... but:

That's passive. :D

So it looks like I got a derp chip. 4.4Ghz needs (at least) 1.26V to remain stable, and 4.5 needs over 1.35. At that point I'm into 90+ temp ranges with the fan speeds I'm willing to tolerate. Looks like I'll be gaming with this thing until Skylake. :P

So it looks like I got a derp chip. 4.4Ghz needs (at least) 1.26V to remain stable, and 4.5 needs over 1.35. At that point I'm into 90+ temp ranges with the fan speeds I'm willing to tolerate. Looks like I'll be gaming with this thing until Skylake. :P

Meh, it's a killer bang for buck gaming chip, it virtually makes ALL AMD CPUs obsolete sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Anyone ordered from Amazon.fr before? Seems to be a slight bit cheaper than .co.uk or .de for the graphics card I'm looking at. Also comes with the never settle bundle which is even more appealing.

I'm just concerned about warranty issues, support, etc.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Anyone ordered from Amazon.fr before? Seems to be a slight bit cheaper than .co.uk or .de for the graphics card I'm looking at. Also comes with the never settle bundle which is even more appealing.

I'm just concerned about warranty issues, support, etc.
    Have some money lying around and thinking of treating myself for Christmas/bday and was looking at getting a 290. The Trix is the obvious choice but for 20 euro more I might even grab the Vapor X for the cream of the crop 290 and **** it potentiality.

What's the criteria for the Never Settle Bundle? I hadn't been considering this and it makes a potential buy even more appealing.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Have some money lying around and thinking of treating myself for Christmas/bday and was looking at getting a 290. The Trix is the obvious choice but for 20 euro more I might even grab the Vapor X for the cream of the crop 290 and **** it potentiality.

What's the criteria for the Never Settle Bundle? I hadn't been considering this and it makes a potential buy even more appealing.

Deal:
    http://amd.com/radeonrewards

Retailers:
    http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/never-settle.aspx

EDIT: I assume you mean the Tri-X by Sapphire? Funnily enough that is chepest off UK site but no bundle with it. Considering the same card (Maybe two..).

Sound, I had just informed myself of the specifics right there. Does anyone know if Hardwareversand honour Never Settle (Gold) bundles?

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    Sound, I had just informed myself of the specifics right there. Does anyone know if Hardwareversand honour Never Settle (Gold) bundles?

Don't know if you saw my edit above, but I too am considering the same card :p Maybe two of them.. :o It's cheapest off the UK site but no bundle from them unfortunately. Not that I really care about the bundle, had intended on just selling the codes to reduce the cost of the cards.

Don't know if you saw my edit above, but I too am considering the same card :p Maybe two of them.. :o It's cheapest off the UK site but no bundle from them unfortunately. Not that I really care about the bundle, had intended on just selling the codes to reduce the cost of the cards.

I saw it right now... I did in fact mean the VAPOR X 290. The Trix is really really good, the Vapor X however is a slightly superior cooling (read: slightly, it has the Vapor X chamber), it also has a custom PCB (Trix is reference), a binned chip, a sexy LED which changes color depending on heat of card, and a sweet backplate. It also has an Intelligent Fan Control which turns off two fans when card is cool.

All in all, these bonuses just make it more premium than the Trix, but in terms of performance they are VERY close. I'm just saying **** it cos I have the money and it's Christmas.

The Vapor X is too expensive in UK 222 pound TriX vs 260 pound VaporX but in Ger the Trix is 280 euro (about the same as UK price) vs 300 euro VaporX so I'm thinking I'll splash the extra cash on the Vapor X :D

Trix http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-TRI-X-Graphics-Card-PCI-E/dp/B00HFA44YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418253802&sr=8-1&keywords=trix+290

VaporX (also called the Trix VaporX) As you can say a lot more expensive compared to Trix from UK. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Vapor-X-Graphics-Express-Display/dp/B00LTOWAUO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1418253802&sr=8-5&keywords=trix+290

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Physically the Vapor-X is a savage card. The backplate is great and the whole card just screams premium.

I had one with my Tri-X but it was affected by the random black screen issue. Got a second one - also affected by the random black screen. No more Vapor-X for me after that. :(

Physically the Vapor-X is a savage card. The backplate is great and the whole card just screams premium.

I had one with my Tri-X but it was affected by the random black screen issue. Got a second one - also affected by the random black screen. No more Vapor-X for me after that. :(

Man that sucks, here's hoping I won't have that issue! Is it a fault with the card or a driver/BIOS issue do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Any opinions on the Dell UltraSharp 24" Monitor U2414H from boardsies?

Heard good things about it, but always dubious about Youtube reviews and anything by Dell.

think its quite good, but have a read of the review on tftcentral.co.uk

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

to say your man is thorough, is selling him somewhat short lol

Have a 23" Ultrasharp and it's beautiful.

I wish Dell had kept the USB ports on the side. Yay for hiding cables and all that, but on ones you use all the time? The Apple designer who decided he'd sacrifice such base functionality as even somewhat easily accessible ports for the sake of a thinner profile can jump off a cliff.

The Apple designer who decided he'd sacrifice such base functionality as even somewhat easily accessible ports for the sake of a thinner profile can jump off a cliff.

I have the argument with a co-worker nearly weekly. He seems to think Apple can do no wrong, except when Android did it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I wish Dell had kept the USB ports on the side. Yay for hiding cables and all that, but on ones you use all the time? The Apple designer who decided he'd sacrifice such base functionality as even somewhat easily accessible ports for the sake of a thinner profile can jump off a cliff.
    I have the argument with a co-worker nearly weekly. He seems to think Apple can do no wrong, except when Android did it worse.

41GoN-i7OtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

+

article-1208809-062233AF000005DC-662_468x387.jpg

I am genius *picks up design innovation award*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement