Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Using the AsRock Pro3 Z77 at the moment. Yes there are problems with the USB controller. However, that translates to not being able to use the inbuilt Rift Headphones as they will randomly stop working, requiring the sound device to be disabled and reenabled. Removing the headphones and using your own solves the issue.

Cheers for that. Hard to nail down any info on it online. I eneded up ordering the USB PCI card so i should be ok but if not good to know it only affects the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Lads would I be right in assuming that all stock intel coolers are the same i.e I have an i3 6100 and am thinking of getting an i7 6700 without cooler just swapping them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Joshua J wrote: »
    Lads would I be right in assuming that all stock intel coolers are the same i.e I have an i3 6100 and am thinking of getting an i7 6700 without cooler just swapping them out.

I thought the lower end coolers were just aluminium and the higher end had a copper base surrounded by aluminium, maybe a little thicker also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have a new 6100 here and the cooler is all aluminium. No copper I sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have a new 6100 here and the cooler is all aluminium. No copper I sight.

That's what I mean, the lower end coolers are designed for maybe up to 80w TDP
    The 6700 would need a better cooler.

I was just confirming so that if someone comes and says the higher end ones definitely have copper we can be sure that there's more than one type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I don't know where the line is - possibly only the K SKUs - but the higher-end chips do use copper slugs, for what that's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Serephucus wrote: »
    I don't know where the line is - possibly only the K SKUs - but the higher-end chips do use copper slugs, for what that's worth.

IIRC it's the Xeon lineup that gets them (eg my 1231v3); the K chips ship with no cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    IIRC it's the Xeon lineup that gets them (eg my 1231v3); the K chips ship with no cooler.

I'm going off my (rather old) 4790K here. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Plus the TDP is relatively low now compared to a few years ago, the i7-6700 is 65w for example, I'm using one with a €6 aluminium cooler and temps are perfectly fine. You don't need to worry about it, the one from the i3 will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Was it not the "tray" ones that shipped with no cooler

Im nearly sure all the consumer K chips of the skylake vintage didn't come with coolers - my 6700k didn't have one and it wasn't a tray chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Im nearly sure all the consumer K chips of the skylake vintage didn't come with coolers - my 6700k didn't have one and it wasn't a tray chip.

Ah fair enough, I'm going back a few generations but my 3570k shipped with a stock cooler and I remember the trays being the ones that didn't, ignore so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Cut off the metal piece in my case that's stopping me from putting in my 970....fits like a dream now and plenty of space! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cut off the metal piece in my case that's stopping me from putting in my 970....fits like a dream now and plenty of space! :D

Good stuff, hope you didnt leave any filing or anything to short the motherboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EoinHef wrote: »

Everything about that screams clickbait journalism.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Good stuff, hope you didnt leave any filing or anything to short the motherboard!

Was using a saw for a bit but wasn't doing the job... found a huge dremel tool looking thing and was done in 2 mins! Tested it with the 970 in it for a bit and it was working fine...fingers crossed it'll stay that way.

Any ideas on what to do with a 960 that black screens every so often? Would I be able to sell it for parts or easier to just dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wfound a huge dremel tool looking thing and was done in 2 mins!

?

• Advertisement

That's the one! :pac: did the job easily

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Was using a saw for a bit but wasn't doing the job... found a huge dremel tool looking thing and was done in 2 mins! Tested it with the 970 in it for a bit and it was working fine...fingers crossed it'll stay that way.

Any ideas on what to do with a 960 that black screens every so often? Would I be able to sell it for parts or easier to just dump it.

Contact the manufacturer?

Contact the manufacturer?

It's a fair bit out of warranty...id say about 2-3 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Everything about that screams clickbait journalism.

Exactly, no source for the info. Why hire a plane directly when you can just pay for air mail as well?

"Time is critical, very critical," Marco Streng, chief executive of Genesis Mining, told Quartz. "For example, we are renting entire airplanes, Boeing 747s, to ship on time. Anything else, like shipping by sea, loses so much opportunity."

Theres your source for the plane renting quote.

I cant say weather its true or not,just thought it was interesting. Looks like i was wrong:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I cant say weather its true or not,just thought it was interesting. Looks like i was wrong:(

TBH pallets of GPUs on planes is not abnormal IMHO. I doubt the recent launches where shipped via sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You're not wrong. It may well be true. I'm just a little sceptical but I guess the big players in this field are making millions per month. They could definitely afford to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

here's a question not in the right place but can't think of where to put it

I have a debian 9 vm running on hyperv

docker with a tvheadend container

It's running fine, can access webui, webui sees the 4tb share which I have mounted on debian. Meaning hopefully I've got my volumes set right in the yaml.

But when I try to add an m3u file I'm getting an error,[ ERROR] iptv: unable to open file 'media/windowsshare/test.m3u': No such file or directory

When trying to add a file from the internet it works.

google not bringing any help, lots of stuff about messing up file paths but I am fairly sure the file path is right (using file:///media/windowsshare/test.m3u ) (I've also copied the file and tried a few different places not on the share eg where tvheadend config files are etc and still no go)

What should I be looking at to sort this, is it a permissions thing? (I've done all the usual chmod 777 and then 666 to rule out everything, no good)

not sure where would be better to ask this seeing as it could be a few different things causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How are you sharing? NFS?

Can you navigate the share tree within the container?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cifs, but have tried copying the file to local locations not on the share and still can't access the m3u file in tvheadend so tending to rule out the share being the issue.

only way I've been able to see that the container has access to the share is that tvheadend shows xxx free of 4tb on the webui

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement