Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Local to the containing OS or the container?

Is there a reason for Docker if you're already under a hypervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

local to containing os but also container, in that I tried placing the file in amongst the configs generated by tvheadend if that makes any sense.

need for docker is that I'm going to be migrating it to a bare metal system once I get it all running properly so hopefully I can not have to config it multiple times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Got it working

hadn't got my aliases right at all in the docker-compose yaml

it does ospath:alias:ro/rw (read only / read write)

so I just needed to do /media/windowsshare/test.m3u:/media/windowsshare/test.m3u:ro

and it worked... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

any recommendations on where too look for some deals on mechanical keyboards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I haven't checked to see where mining currencies are going, but there are 4 RX580s put up on adverts (or possibly refreshed) in the last hour.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/desktop-hardware/494/q_rx580/sortby_best_refresh_date-desc

Could this be the start of people trying to cash in on the high graphics card prices before the market gets flooded?

• Advertisement

Tomorrow is doomsday for BTC and thus Eth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Tomorrow is doomsday for BTC and thus Eth.

Its interesting that people expect a death for ETH when Bitcoin solves its scaling issues.

Its interesting that people expect a death for ETH when Bitcoin solves its scaling issues.

Not predicting that, Im expecting a fork! Eth is tied to BTC (just like LTC), so when the market has a little panic attack itll tank too.

So did anybody jump in on the GPD Pocket laptop funding campaign?
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/
    Anybody get one? Would be interest to hear what its like from normal peopel and not reviewers who may only have it for a week or so!?

Was traveling for work recently (5 days travelling out of an 8 day total trip). Had to bring the work laptop (bloody heavy), and ended up bringing my own as well as the work laptop is all locked down. I nearly put in an offer on a GPD Win on adverts just before leaving, as would be better than lugging along my own laptop, but didn't in the end.

The GPD Pocket would ideal though for travelling, just for email, Skype, getting data (USB locked on work laptop).

Surely some one here with more money than sense got one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Lu Tze wrote: »
    The GPD Pocket would ideal though for travelling, just for email, Skype, getting data (USB locked on work laptop).

Couldn't everything you mention here be solved by something like a Chromebook or even a tablet?

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Couldn't everything you mention here be solved by something like a Chromebook or even a tablet?

I would need windows as well. Otherwise my phone would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/
    Anybody get one? Would be interest to hear what its like from normal peopel and not reviewers who may only have it for a week or so!?

Was traveling for work recently (5 days travelling out of an 8 day total trip). Had to bring the work laptop (bloody heavy), and ended up bringing my own as well as the work laptop is all locked down. I nearly put in an offer on a GPD Win on adverts just before leaving, as would be better than lugging along my own laptop, but didn't in the end.

I actually meant to but completely forgot, looks really nifty. Perfect for traveling in particular.

The GPD Win is a seriously cool little device too, although obviously for a totally different purpose. I have one and it's amazing to be able to play games like Left4Dead, COD4 and Fallout 3 on the bus or plane :)

I actually meant to but completely forgot, looks really nifty. Perfect for traveling in particular.

The GPD Win is a seriously cool little device too, although obviously for a totally different purpose. I have one and it's amazing to be able to play games like Left4Dead, COD4 and Fallout 3 on the bus or plane :)

its the same processor etc. That was also something i was considering, gate the odd game of ages of empires in, or point and click or emulators on long plane journeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I like how they compare that ****ty 4 core atom processor to dual core i5 from macbook air. Like they are trying to say it's better.

twinsen wrote: »
    I like how they compare that ****ty 4 core atom processor to dual core i5 from macbook air. Like they are trying to say it's better.

4>2 QED

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

twinsen wrote: »

It's not a million miles away either though
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2530&cmp[]=2968

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Looks interesting, and the duck at 3:40 looked amazing...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what the **** is up with Eir technical support. I ring in and they say their offices are closed but it's supposed to a 24hr service and I rang yesterday at 11pm and was speaking to someone

arggggg

Think Im hearing random bursts of bubbles in my AIOs at 59/60*C. Not often, but after hours of operation.

Normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Normal, it takes weeks for that to settle down. My pump was noisy as well for at least 2 weeks then settled. I think radiator orientation is supposed to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

For those who have moved from gaming consoles to PC, is there a 'right' time to move? I know there are no defined generations in PCs but would it be wise to see out this console generation with the hardware I have already invested in?

Trying to justify the move here! :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    For those who have moved from gaming consoles to PC, is there a 'right' time to move? I know there are no defined generations in PCs but would it be wise to see out this console generation with the hardware I have already invested in?

Never a perfect time to move, always a better gpu or processor a few months away. I say just go for it now. Amd have new cards out in the next few weeks.

Hard to get good deals on gpus at the moment due to the mining craze though, only cards easy to get hold of are the high end or low end. Mid range are out of stock in most places or way over priced

Mind you overwatch is not a demanding game and can run well on lower end cards. .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The sooner the better tbf, if you're moving to PC why bother waiting and adding to the PS4 collection, when those games could be on Steam.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For some reason I thought your post was in the overwatch thread, which is why I mentioned overwatch :o

Buy mid range, splash a bit of cash on the Case,cooler and power-supply.

In two years, buy a new gpu.

In four years, expect to fork out for a new mobo/cpu/gpu. Cycle continues every few years.

The beauty of a modern pc is that the CPU will last at least 4 years and the GPU can be upgraded with the old one sold for a hundred or two every couple of years.

Ah yee are saying everything I want to hear!
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    For some reason I thought your post was in the overwatch thread, which is why I mentioned overwatch :o

:D I was thinking "erm, OK thanks".

Buy mid range, splash a bit of cash on the Case,cooler and power-supply.

To be honest I was thinking of jumping in head first. I know if I went mid range to start with, I would regret it.

Would 4 years be the norm for CPUs? I don't know why but I thought they would be adequate for longer than that. I was thinking of going with the Ryzen 5 1600 fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've been using an i5 for about 3 years I think, if not more? And I've having no desire to upgrade it in the next 18 months.

If you get a mid-range now you can always upgrade it anyways, I'd say a 1600 is a good shout, the socket should be okay for a couple gens.

You'll get as long as you want out of it realistically, when it starts to struggle, you may have to forgo AAA games for a few months or (gasp) hold out for 30fps.

To be honest I was thinking of jumping in head first. I know if I went mid range to start with, I would regret it.

Would 4 years be the norm for CPUs? I don't know why but I thought they would be adequate for longer than that. I was thinking of going with the Ryzen 5 1600 fwiw.

A 780 ti was released 4 years ago for around 700 Euro, probably sold for a bit more then that. In reality it should be around 100-150 Euros in price today second hand because the RX580 hands down beats the 780ti by around 30-50% depending on the game. And a RX580 should cost around 250-300 Euros right now(mining bubble aside as its a blip in the radar).

If you drop 800 Euros on a 1080ti right now the last 15 years of GFX cards would imply that,
    In 2 years you will find its matched by new 400 Euro cards, meaning more then 200 Euros per year depreciation. In 4 years it will be beaten by new 200 Euro cards, slightly dropping the depreciation curve.

If you drop a reasonable amount right now on a graphics card, in 2 years you can sell for half that price and upgrade cards again. In four years time you can do it again and you have probably have spent less money and have a better system then the 1080ti owner.

Overall pc gaming becomes a affordable and pleasant experience where you dip your toe when you have a bit of spare cash rather then drop your load all at once trying for the best then and there.

You can say the same for processors in a way(there are caveats). Anybody who went out and bought a 8 core I7-5960x and mobo for 1.3-1.4k in late 2014/early 2015, two and a half years later it has a competitor that costs 400 Euros to buy in the mid range.

So basically, you get massive depreciation from high end PC gear. The price/performance ratio is pretty much always horrific to begin with and within 3-4 years it makes your current pc worthless. You can see people on this forum laughing at people with 3-4 year old systems trying to sell what probably cost them 3k to buy, thinking its still worth 2k to sell. When in realty a new 800 quid system can match if not beat it, with a warranty on the parts. While a mid end system tends to age a bit more gracefully, since you never spent stupid money on it to start with.

A good case and power supply though, they can last a decade easy, if not more, if you don't cheap out.

That's some great advice, thanks. :)

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Normal, it takes weeks for that to settle down. My pump was noisy as well for at least 2 weeks then settled. I think radiator orientation is supposed to help.

Build is 8 months old now, never moved since (EEB, 2P, weighs a tonne). One vertical one horizontal. Tubing could cause a pocket but I'd expect to hear that at boot is the thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement