Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Build is 8 months old now, never moved since (EEB, 2P, weighs a tonne). One vertical one horizontal. Tubing could cause a pocket but I'd expect to hear that at boot is the thing.

Permeation is a thing that most AIO's seem to ignore. Are they the ones they let you fill them? If so I would pull them out, move them around a bit and then give them a distilled water top-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No such luck unfortunately.

There's problem per se at the minute as thermals are fine (must enable IPMI alerts in case that changes) so only really worried about potential leaking killing a €600 mobo.

No such luck unfortunately.

There's problem per se at the minute as thermals are fine (must enable IPMI alerts in case that changes) so only really worried about potential leaking killing a €600 mobo.

Air bubbles won't break the seals and if there was a leak you would have noticed it by now. Constant air hitting the pump will cause it to break but in your case its a odd but every couple of hours so no worry. How are the rads orientated, are the inlets/outlets on the vertial, on the bottom or the top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Pac1Man wrote: »
    For those who have moved from gaming consoles to PC, is there a 'right' time to move? I know there are no defined generations in PCs but would it be wise to see out this console generation with the hardware I have already invested in?

Trying to justify the move here! :P

My PS4 Pro is now gathering dust and i moved over to PC in April. Do it now if you can afford a good GPU. I only have a locked i5 CPU and it hasn't struggled in any game i own. DO IT NOW !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So since I installed my 1080Ti, Windows shutdown has stopped working...nothing happens at all when I hit shutdown. If I hit 'restart' it does go the restarting screen but just hangs forever. Same graphics driver as I had with my GTX1070 so at a loss....any suggestions?

I keep everything on externals so a fresh install is not a big deal but it's just irritating me that I can't work out why it's doing this. Tried killing various processes but still happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

run 'shutdown -s -t 0' and see if it shuts down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

So since I installed my 1080Ti, Windows shutdown has stopped working...nothing happens at all when I hit shutdown. If I hit 'restart' it does go the restarting screen but just hangs forever. Same graphics driver as I had with my GTX1070 so at a loss....any suggestions?

I keep everything on externals so a fresh install is not a big deal but it's just irritating me that I can't work out why it's doing this. Tried killing various processes but still happening.

try the start menu troubleshooter see if i finds anything

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12385/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My PS4 Pro is now gathering dust and i moved over to PC in April. Do it now if you can afford a good GPU. I only have a locked i5 CPU and it hasn't struggled in any game i own. DO IT NOW !!

Yes, I think I am ready to join the dark side.

However, part picking is an absolute head melt. People a lot smarter than me tell me the i7 is overkill, the i5 is a poor choice for future proofing and the Ryzen 1600 will need BIOS updates and tweaks to make it run right since it's a new CPU.

I'm certainly not expecting console level of maintenance but I would like to make the transition as pain free as possible starting off. :)

GPUs are another story!

It's fun researching and learning about it all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pac1Man wrote: »
    the i7 is overkill, the i5 is a poor choice for future proofing and the Ryzen 1600 will need BIOS updates and tweaks to make it run right since it's a new CPU.

The Ryzen 1600 is a excellent CPU. The onlything that wasn't working at launch is high speed RAM wasn't compatible but that is mostly fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Has anyone experience with water damaged keyboards?

Its not even water on mine, chocolate milk :D

Its been described as sticky, smelly and none of the keys work. Should I hold out much hope of being able to repair it?

Can't afford a new mechanical board right now :(

• Advertisement

Air bubbles won't break the seals and if there was a leak you would have noticed it by now. Constant air hitting the pump will cause it to break but in your case its a odd but every couple of hours so no worry. How are the rads orientated, are the inlets/outlets on the vertial, on the bottom or the top?

II5CkAKl.jpg

Its been described as sticky, smelly and none of the keys work. Should I hold out much hope of being able to repair it?

Pull it apart, carefully clearn the board with isopropyl alcohol. Hope for the best.

II5CkAKl.jpg

Nice system. I would guess its the bottom rad and pump combo doing it, bubbles would form in the hose kink about the cpu and then get pulled in when large enough. Just guessing though.

Its a pity you can't fill not because there are not many other options for stopping it with dual rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Are you not using any PCI-E cards? If not, you could always rear-mount that bottom AIO. Should solve your problem.

Otherwise, I don't know if there's a lot you can do; gravity's a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Back in the day our tech support used to tell people to immerse it in warm water then stick it in the airing cupboard (hot press). Advice that was stopped after some lazy so and so didn't log into the customers account and gave that advice, which was dutifully followed, by one of, the then few and far between, laptop owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Back in the day our tech support used to tell people to immerse it in warm water then stick it in the airing cupboard (hot press). Advice that was stopped after some lazy so and so didn't log into the customers account and gave that advice, which was dutifully followed, by one of, the then few and far between, laptop owners.

There's no hassle in opening the fecker up, I've dug into enough phones at this stage, I'll take a toothbrush and some isopropyl and see how it goes. If a departments answer was a quick clean that does make me feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

There's no hassle in opening the fecker up, I've dug into enough phones at this stage, I'll take a toothbrush and some isopropyl and see how it goes. If a departments answer was a quick clean that does make me feel better

It's not like a quick clean with water then IPA to remove the water then sometime in the hot press won't **** it up more than chocolate milk.
    Once it gets a chance to dry out properly it should be fine. If it's totally sunk then you have wasted nothing but some time.

fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

What would be the best brand 4TB HDD for file storage?
    WD, Seagate, or Toshiba

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

WD, Seagate, or Toshiba

if this is the Toshiba you meant to link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-X300-7200RPM-128MB-Drive/dp/B013J7HO8G/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1502060529&sr=1-6

it's a faster drive than the other two 7200rpm over the 5400rm in the WD drive and 5900rpm in the Seagate

also has double the buffer of the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

WD, Seagate, or Toshiba

Western Digital or HGST (Hitachi)
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Are you not using any PCI-E cards? If not, you could always rear-mount that bottom AIO. Should solve your problem.

Otherwise, I don't know if there's a lot you can do; gravity's a bitch.

Picture was pre GPU and SSD daughter card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Picture was pre GPU and SSD daughter card.

Maybe an option would be an AIO with longer tubes. It should allow you to have gentler curve radius' so less resistance and less chance of air getting trapped in the loop. Think the NZXT AIO's are a decent length.

There's always the Swiftech H220x2 or similar AIO kits where you can add a second block, not sure how these would work vertically though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I still have my incredibly noisy h100. I've got approved for an RMA no less than 3 times and I never go through with it because they won't send me out a replacement in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

Hey, anyone want a case? Unused, still in the box.
    It's free. You will have to collect it. Dublin.

It's a Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S Midi-Tower. It's White.
    It doesn't have a window.

CA048PT_137379_800x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Jacovs

GSV wrote: »
    Hey, anyone want a case? Unused, still in the box.
    It's free. You will have to collect it. Dublin.

It's a Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S Midi-Tower. It's White.
    It doesn't have a window.

CA048PT_137379_800x800.jpg

Would love a decent case. Whereabouts in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Very generous, I'm sure somebody here will find a good home for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

I'll take it off your hands (if you can hold it until Thursday or Friday when I'm in Dublin). If not, no bother.
    New to building complete computers (Intel NUC was the most complex so far). I'm hoping to get started soon, waiting on RX Vega release.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

Jacovs wrote: »
    Would love a decent case. Whereabouts in dublin?
    scanlant wrote: »
    I'll take it off your hands (if you can hold it until Thursday or Friday when I'm in Dublin). If not, no bother.

I think it's gone. A guy PM'd me. If he doesn't pick up, I'll post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

No bother. Someone will get a good case at least.
    It's very generous of you to give it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Jaysis thought i was quick replying a minute after. Will keep an eye out if they change their mind, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement