Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great case as well. I have the glass window version and it's very easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Building a new machine around a i7700K/1080 (possibly Ti) and wondering can I reuse the Corsair H750HX I have currently. It was originally bought in 2010 so it's the older model here. Worth risking or should I just get something new and in warranty to go with the new rig?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

gizmo wrote: »
    Building a new machine around a i7700K/1080 (possibly Ti) and wondering can I reuse the Corsair H750HX I have currently. It was originally bought in 2010 so it's the older model here. Worth risking or should I just get something new and in warranty to go with the new rig?

Try asking on the JonnyGuru forum for more opinions :)
    But I would say you should go for a new PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Alpha8 wrote: »
    Try asking on the JonnyGuru forum for more opinions :)
    But I would say you should go for a new PSU.
    ???

Can't see a problem here, that PSU will be fine for a 1080(even Ti) and an i7-7700k

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

GSV wrote: »
    I think it's gone. A guy PM'd me. If he doesn't pick up, I'll post again.

Thank you for the case! It Will be used in a build this month :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I may have a free case going if my nephew doesn't take it. It's gathering dust so will post here as soon as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

Alpha8 wrote: »
    Thank you for the case! It Will be used in a build this month :)

You're welcome dude. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lads, how bad is this whole cryptocurrency mining thing? I was hoping to start a new build thread here in October/November. I've a credit card and am struggling to restrain myself.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads, how bad is this whole cryptocurrency mining thing? I was hoping to start a new build thread here in October/November. I've a credit card and am struggling to restrain myself.

BTC was $2000 1mo ago. Its $4200 today. The fork was going to be a make or break and its turned out to be very much make so far.

BTC up = LTC/Eth up = Mining profitability. Not great for gamers but ok for those of us holding BTC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ED E wrote: »
    BTC was $2000 1mo ago. Its $4200 today. The fork was going to be a make or break and its turned out to be very much make so far.

BTC up = LTC/Eth up = Mining profitability. Not great for gamers but ok for those of us holding BTC.

I'm just looking for a gaming rig. Don't own any BTC alas.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Just over a year ago 8GB crucial ram I had my eye on was £25 but I put it off. Same one now is £63. fml.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Does anyone know what the standard price was for a GTX 1070 before the gold diggers rolled into town?

It's priced at about 400GBP on Amazon at the moment. Is this still above and beyond?

I found this. Looks like it was steadily declining for the first half of 2017 or so until the Cryptocurrency thing happened.

H. H. Asquith

I found this. Looks like it was steadily declining for the first half of 2017 or so until the Cryptocurrency thing happened.

£303 in May. :(

Pac1Man wrote: »
    £303 in May. :(

I know. I'm waiting to sort a thing or two out before building. This looks like a bubble meaning it should burst at some point.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just posting this here because it might help someone at some stage.

My build being a Asrock Z170 Fatal1ty gaming k6 board + i5 6400. I was using the 1.80 bios which had Sky OC enabled allowing non-k overclocking on the board (at the cost of temperature monitoring).

Up until recently everything was running perfect. Stable OC at 4.1Ghz. Then windows started getting a little glitchy, clicking the start menu would cause it to flicker in a sort of epilepsy inducing manner, couldn't actually click on anything in start menu. Had to hard reboot... and upon doing so the PC wouldn't even get to BIOS.

So had a look at the debug LED... kept hanging at "4F" and restarting the cycle. Problem is that 4F isn't an error code its some DXE initialisation code, meaning the problem could be anything.

CPU wasn't on my list of suspicions, nor was the GPU. Tried removing and moving around RAM sticks and no luck. Every now and again it would get into the BIOS after god knows how many reboots, but after exiting the BIOS would go into the same reboot sequence.

Thankfully this motherboard has Dual bios chips, so I moved the jumper to select the secondary BIOS - and straight away it clears all the checkpoints on the debug LED and into the BIOS. Problem is for safety the secondary BIOS can't be updated so it's still running v1.2.

Cloned the backup BIOS onto the main BIOS, flicked the jumper over again and... voila. It works again on the main BIOS :D .

Asrock had "silently" removed the Sky OC (non-k) functionality around v2.0 of the BIOS, and the current version was v7.2... so I was hesitant about upgrading but figured it was worth it to fix any microarchitecture problems etc.

To my surprise... Non-K overclocking was silently re-added and works flawlessly in v7.2, and all my hardware temp monitoring is back working too! So now it's back at 4.1Ghz AND for the first time in 2 years, I can actually see my CPU temps :D

TL;DR: Asrock Z170 code 4F debug error might be a corrupt bios. Latest bios versions have Non-K overclocking so don't be afraid to upgrade.

OCUK have some OK prices on some 1070s now, starting at £349.

The last 1070 I bought around May from Amazon was £335.

So with the Coffee Lake reveal announced for Monday, if Intel was to announce an 8700K part which was essentially a hexacore 7700K with a new chipset, would it be worth holding off on a new build until they're available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

So with the Coffee Lake reveal announced for Monday, if Intel was to announce an 8700K part which was essentially a hexacore 7700K with a new chipset, would it be worth holding off on a new build until they're available?

Depends on what budget and requirements you have for the new build.

papu wrote: »
    Depends on what budget and requirements you have for the new build.
    Development and Gaming Machine with a ~£1500 budget. If I was building it today, it'd be with a 7700K, not with Ryzen.

The above assumption is also based on information that the new parts will be coming in at around the same price point as the existing Kaby Lake parts, give or take the premium one would expect for newly released hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

late April may was the RX580 release, so I think that's why the drop happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Development and Gaming Machine with a ~£1500 budget. If I was building it today, it'd be with a 7700K, not with Ryzen.

The above assumption is also based on information that the new parts will be coming in at around the same price point as the existing Kaby Lake parts, give or take the premium one would expect for newly released hardware.

Ryzen would be a far better option imo. You will lose very little on the gaming side and gain a lot on the development side. What kind of development?

The only scenario where the 7700k makes sense is if you have a 144Hz monitor and a 1080ti and you want to push the frames as high as possible and even then the Ryzen will have better minimum frames in some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

As things stand, current games would actually be slower on a lower clocked coffee lake chip vs the present kaby lake counterpart, since only future games will be coded to take advantage of the increased core count. Or am I wrong?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Ryzen would be a far better option imo. You will lose very little on the gaming side and gain a lot on the development side. What kind of development?

The only scenario where the 7700k makes sense is if you have a 144Hz monitor and a 1080ti and you want to push the frames as high as possible and even then the Ryzen will have better minimum frames in some games.
    Ah, I will have a 144Hz monitor (Acer Predator XB271HU to be precise) and a 1080Ti in this build as it happens. Dev wise it'll mainly be Unreal Engine 4 and to be honest, it'll probably see more usage on the gaming side of things. On the frame rate side of things, as time goes on I'd be more inclined to keep visual quality as high as possible until hitting 60fps rather than sacrificing visual quality to keep frame rates as high as possible.

I'm not entirely against Ryzen it's just that when i originally weighed up benchmarks shortly after launch, they seemed inferior to the 7700K in most test cases.
    ZeroThreat wrote: »
    As things stand, current games would actually be slower on a lower clocked coffee lake chip vs the present kaby lake counterpart, since only future games will be coded to take advantage of the increased core count. Or am I wrong?
    Hmm, you're probably correct, it appears the Base Frequency of the 8700K is said to be 3.7Ghz compared to the 4.2Ghz of the i7700K. I guess the question then becomes whether the longer term benefits of the additional two cores would be sufficient enough to overcome that in (potentially) future use cases.

Would a Ryzen 1600 with a GTX 1080 be overkill for 1080p/144Hz? I understand that the CPU would be doing the work here for the high FPS and there may be a bottleneck on the GPU. Would a GTX 1070 be a better fit?

Taking current pricing into account, would a 1080 be worth the extra £100 within this setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

A GTX 1070 would in theory be a better fit for that but the price differences between the 1070 and 1080 are close enough as the 1070 prices are high enough still. If you can afford a 1080 then its overkill but worth it as its a much more capable card than the 1070.

Then again, if you upgrade every two years then maybe the 1070 for now. Amazon has a GTX 1080 at 489 stg if you join prime. Its 550 odd euro give or take.

OCUK have GTX1080's starting at £449 and GTX1070's at £349. Haven't seen Amazon match that yet.

They also have Ryzen CPU's significantly cheaper than Amazon a week ago but they're jumped back again.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    A GTX 1070 would in theory be a better fit for that but the price differences between the 1070 and 1080 are close enough as the 1070 prices are high enough still. If you can afford a 1080 then its overkill but worth it as its a much more capable card than the 1070.

I'm not sure if my thinking is wrong but is there even a point in spending the extra 100 for a 1080? It's a better card but will it's advantages be lost on me at 1080p/144Hz?
    OCUK have GTX1080's starting at £449 and GTX1070's at £349. Haven't seen Amazon match that yet.

I see an MSI 1070 for £449 but no 1080s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Advertisement

Strange. Just yesterday they had Zotac 1070 Mini for £349 and reference blower KFA 1080 for £449, either in stock or available for pre-order. Both are gone now so obviously just sold out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement