Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'd need to be quick. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm not sure if my thinking is wrong but is there even a point in spending the extra 100 for a 1080? It's a better card but will it's advantages be lost on me at 1080p/144Hz?

I see an MSI 1070 for £449 but no 1080s.

Definitely worth it, will last longer. Even 1080ti won't be overkiller IMO.
    Naturally it depends on the games you want to play, CSGO will run att 300fps on rx580 but games like ghost recon barely run over 80fps on ultra on 1080ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

gizmo wrote: »

Hmm, you're probably correct, it appears the Base Frequency of the 8700K is said to be 3.7Ghz compared to the 4.2Ghz of the i7700K. I guess the question then becomes whether the longer term benefits of the additional two cores would be sufficient enough to overcome that in (potentially) future use cases.

Wait for Coffee Lake

Lots of diff leaks but it's showing a turbo of (up to) 4.7 single core, descending down to about 4.3 on all six cores

Slides have leaked showing (possible best case scenario) of 11% single thread IPC increase over 7700K and up to 51% faster in multi-thread

If it's only 30 or 40 euros more than the 7700k and there are no significant issues it could be a gaming king, plus a work-horse

Due to competition from Ryzen there is a chance that Intel won't rip us off on it. Definitely worth waiting a few days. Was in the market for 7700K (pure gaming) and have decided to wait for this, if it looks good am def pulling the trigger on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Wait for Coffee Lake

Lots of diff leaks but it's showing a turbo of (up to) 4.7 single core, descending down to about 4.3 on all six cores

Slides have leaked showing (possible best case scenario) of 11% single thread IPC increase over 7700K and up to 51% faster in multi-thread

If it's only 30 or 40 euros more than the 7700k and there are no significant issues it could be a gaming king, plus a work-horse

Due to competition from Ryzen there is a chance that Intel won't rip us off on it. Definitely worth waiting a few days. Was in the market for 7700K (pure gaming) and have decided to wait for this, if it looks good am def pulling the trigger on it

I'd believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At least it's looking likely it will be compatible with current boards. I'd be interested if that is the case, but no way I'd upgrade my board as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

At least it's looking likely it will be compatible with current boards. I'd be interested if that is the case, but no way I'd upgrade my board as well.

Didn't MSI or Asrock already say that you will need a new board for Coffee Lake?

(Even though it will still be a 1151 socket)

farna_boy wrote: »
    Didn't MSI or Asrock already say that you will need a new board for Coffee Lake?

(Even though it will still be a 1151 socket)

Yeah, but they rowed back on or withdrew that comment, so it's still possible it will work with some current chipsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, but they rowed back on or withdrew that comment, so it's still possible it will work with some current chipsets.

Standard would be a chip set change from Intel at this tock cycle. Which means they planned for chipset change years ago. Which means its incredibly unlikely it won't require a new board and socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Wait for Coffee Lake

I've decided to wait for Coffee Lake regardless, however, I've also put together a Ryzen-based build instead of the 7700K should CL not be released for a couple of months.

That's unfortunately resulted in a couple of days of combing through motherboard/RAM articles and forum postings trying to find the ideal combo, trying to find out definitively if the CL14 Samsung B-die based RAM are indeed bulletproof at their stated ratings regardless of the boards they're in and even after all that, I'm still torn over whether I really need a X370 rather than a decent B350 based board since I have no intention of going SLi, give zero ****s about on-board audio and am perfectly happy with their included USB and SATA options, merely wanting a solid board capable of OC'ing a 1700 to 3.8Ghz.

So yea, cheers for that Bloodbath. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

gizmo wrote: »
    I've decided to wait for Coffee Lake regardless, however, I've also put together a Ryzen-based build instead of the 7700K should CL not be released for a couple of months.

That's unfortunately resulted in a couple of days of combing through motherboard/RAM articles and forum postings trying to find the ideal combo, trying to find out definitively if the CL14 Samsung B-die based RAM are indeed bulletproof at their stated ratings regardless of the boards they're in and even after all that, I'm still torn over whether I really need a X370 rather than a decent B350 based board since I have no intention of going SLi, give zero ****s about on-board audio and am perfectly happy with their included USB and SATA options, merely wanting a solid board capable of OC'ing a 1700 to 3.8Ghz.

So yea, cheers for that Bloodbath. :pac:

Say what?

Yeah it's not easy picking those parts. B350 should be good enough but the b350 options aren't great. Still waiting for someone to release a feature/quality rich B350 board that doesn't look like ass for around €100.

RAM support is supposed to have improved but I don't know. A lot of people have bought that cheaper Corsair 3000Mhz here lately. I wonder did they get it running at 3000Mhz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Re: mobo. What about the Strix? Think it's about €110 on German sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

BloodBath wrote: »
    Say what?

Yeah it's not easy picking those parts. B350 should be good enough but the b350 options aren't great. Still waiting for someone to release a feature/quality rich B350 board that doesn't look like ass for around €100.

RAM support is supposed to have improved but I don't know. A lot of people have bought that cheaper Corsair 3000Mhz here lately. I wonder did they get it running at 3000Mhz?
    I had discounted Ryzen based on the initial benches I'd seen but after you suggested looking at it above, I gave it another shot and after venturing down a particularly deep dark hole I discovered that yes, you're right, things have improved a lot.

Given how well the platform scales with memory performance and the BIOS updates that have been released over the last couple of months which have improved compatibility with the current offerings of motherboards, I'd argue that the initial tests featuring 2166Mhz memory with looser timings aren't a true reflection of the platform anymore, especially in higher end gaming tests.

B350/X370 wise, the RAM compatibility issues kept pushing me higher and higher price wise until I had almost settled on the Asrock Taichi which, while a great board, is just over £200, considerably higher than the Asus Prime Z270-A I had earmarked for the 7700K build. Thankfully, it now seems that the RAM I've picked will work across the board so I can go for the Prime X370-Pro which, while still pricier than the B350, is definitely more reasonable.

Ah right. Yeah Ryzen takes a bit of fine tuning to get the most out of it but an overclock and good low timing high speed memory definitely makes a big difference.

The BIOS updates and software updates have made a significant difference as well. The whole Ryzen line up is serious value for money compared to intels offerings.

I think with good Ryzen/Threadripper adoption between developers and users will only help matters further in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Looking for a keyboard lads, and would love some help:

MX Blue/Green (or equivalent)
    TKL
    UK (ISO vs ANSI)
    Backlit (white or RGB, but not a huge concern)

Anyone know of such a thing that isn't crazy expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Serephucus wrote: »
    Looking for a keyboard lads, and would love some help:

MX Blue/Green (or equivalent)
    TKL
    UK (ISO vs ANSI)
    Backlit (white or RGB, but not a huge concern)

Anyone know of such a thing that isn't crazy expensive?

Clone: E-Element Z77 or Z88 (€38)

Romer-G:
    Logitech G410 atlas Spectrum (€77)

Cherry:
    Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S RGB (MX-Brown) (€93)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Clone: E-Element Z77 or Z88 (€38)

Romer-G:
    Logitech G410 atlas Spectrum (€77)

Cherry:
    Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S RGB (MX-Brown) (€93)

E-Element isn't ISO layout.
    Spectrum doesn't have clicky switches
    MasterKeys also isn't clicky.

You see my problem. :P

My keyboard broke the other day and I didn't have much choice other than to get a replacement that day, so I went to PC World expecting the worst. They actually have some pretty reasonable retail prices on (some) mechanical keyboards, but half out of stinginess and half curiosity, I ended up buying a brand I'd never heard of - an AFX Firefight mechanical, for €64.99, which is a really low price for a retail outlet.

Verdict - only had it a few days but seems great so far, and I actually like it more than my previous one, not sure of the model but it was a Cougar brand. I know that doesn't actually address your particular situation Serephucus but might be of interest to someone else :)

I got this about 6 months ago. It's holding up great. No fading of the keys or failing switches yet at least.

Backlit TKL for just over €40. US layout though but that's only a minor inconvenience.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolertron-Mechanical-Anti-Ghosting-Transparent-Light-permeable/dp/B010V4YK5U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503238858&sr=8-3&keywords=koolertron+mechanical

Is the US layout not a bit of a pain?

I've used US before, but I found it just enough of a pain that I didn't like it. That was on a laptop. Not sure if I'd like it on my main desktop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I don't understand how the US keyboard works. I'm missing physical keys and so if I swap to UK layout(touch typer), i'm missing an entire key for backslash or something. Doesn't seem to be an equivalent on the US board. Hasn't bothered me enough to change it though.

• Advertisement

E-Element isn't ISO layout.
    Spectrum doesn't have clicky switches
    MasterKeys also isn't clicky.

You see my problem. :P

I must've misunderstood your requirements.

How about these?
    Rapoo VPRO V500S, Kailh Blue - £60
    Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition, Green switches - £90 nvm, ANSI

All other compact boards with ISO layout & blue switches are in the £100+ range.

Is the US layout not a bit of a pain?

I've used US before, but I found it just enough of a pain that I didn't like it. That was on a laptop. Not sure if I'd like it on my main desktop too.
    Xenoronin wrote: »
    I don't understand how the US keyboard works. I'm missing physical keys and so if I swap to UK layout(touch typer), i'm missing an entire key for backslash or something. Doesn't seem to be an equivalent on the US board. Hasn't bothered me enough to change it though.

There's virtually no difference. The @ and " are in opposite positions and \ is done with ALT GR + the key over the enter key. Also # is replaced with £ on the US layout. # is the same key over the enter key that you use for the backslash.

Might be annoying if you use backslash a lot but I don't and I'm used to the minor differences now.

This is only if you want to keep using UK layout as well. You can just switch to US if you want and use it as it appears on the keyboard.

If that hasn't sold it to you then check out that hand models pinky fingernails.

61hECV%2BZGCL._SL1001_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a US layout keyboard and have been using it for years without any problems. You quickly learn where all the keys are and remember them.

I must've misunderstood your requirements.

How about these?
    Rapoo VPRO V500S, Kailh Blue - £60
    Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition, Green switches - £90 nvm, ANSI

All other compact boards with ISO layout & blue switches are in the £100+ range.
    BloodBath wrote: »
    There's virtually no difference. The @ and " are in opposite positions and \ is done with ALT GR + the key over the enter key. Also # is replaced with £ on the US layout. # is the same key over the enter key that you use for the backslash.

Might be annoying if you use backslash a lot but I don't and I'm used to the minor differences now.

This is only if you want to keep using UK layout as well. You can just switch to US if you want and use it as it appears on the keyboard.

If that hasn't sold it to you then check out that hand models pinky fingernails.
    -snip-

I'm tempted to just say **** it and switch to US layout. If nothing else it would open up lots of very nice options on Massdrop...

Fine FINE. I'll switch to US layout. JESUS CHRIST GUYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

Anybody recommend a mouse for FPS Gaming/Browsing. Had my second Corsair M65 RGB die on me this morning, and I'm not buying another (though I did like it). Budget is €50 to €70.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ReZonator wrote: »
    Anybody recommend a mouse for FPS Gaming/Browsing. Had my second Corsair M65 RGB die on me this morning, and I'm not buying another (though I did like it). Budget is €50 to €70.

Logitech G502 is great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Proteus-Spectrum-Tunable-Programmable/dp/B019DVCW3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503357522&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+g502

Thanks, I was looking at that. I think I saw somebody mention on Reddit that it is quite heavy for a mouse. Have you used it yourself?

ReZonator wrote: »

Have a look on RocketJumpNinja.
    Best mouse reviewer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SteelSeries Rival 100 has been serving me very well since I got it for shooters. Works without any special drivers although there are some if you want sensitivity profiles per game. http://amzn.eu/hHnS8v0
    Drivers for windows https://steelseries.com/downloads
    Linux https://github.com/flozz/rivalcfg

Anyone got experience with these Superlux HD668B headphones? http://amzn.eu/eDRFYTB Let me know your opinions.

• Advertisement

Have a look on RocketJumpNinja.
    Best mouse reviewer around.

Thanks for the link. In his top 40 video he recommends the Logitech G403. Aesthetically it looks better than the G502 to me. Less buttons though, but it's not a deal braker. Tempted, but will hold out a little while longer..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement