Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ReZonator wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. In his top 40 video he recommends the Logitech G403. Aesthetically it looks better than the G502 to me. Less buttons though, but it's not a deal braker. Tempted, but will hold out a little while longer..

I have a G403 wireless (through his recommendations).

I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Thanks for the link. In his top 40 video he recommends the Logitech G403. Aesthetically it looks better than the G502 to me. Less buttons though, but it's not a deal braker. Tempted, but will hold out a little while longer..

What about a Mionix Naos 7000? You can get one directly from the Mionix website for about €70 (or amazon.co.uk for about €50)

I have an earlier version of it and find it really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

farna_boy wrote: »
    What about a Mionix Naos 7000? You can get one directly from the Mionix website for about €70 (or amazon.co.uk for about €50)

I have an earlier version of it and find it really good.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure about the finger support, looks kinda large for me. I'm beginning to think the sensor in the Logitech might be it's biggest selling point. I'll probably buy the G403 wired tonight, mainly because of my budget and the reputation Logitech have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Have a look on RocketJumpNinja.
    Best mouse reviewer around.

What about Ricky Berwick? :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks, I was looking at that. I think I saw somebody mention on Reddit that it is quite heavy for a mouse. Have you used it yourself?

I have one yeah, feels pretty light to me and there are weights with it to make it heavier if you want.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I have one yeah, feels pretty light to me and there are weights with it to make it heavier if you want.

Thanks for letting me know. I want ahead and ordered the G403, but all advice was appreciated. :)

Hope I like it, but as long as it lasts longer than the M65 I'll probably be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Doge wrote: »
    What about Ricky Berwick? :pac:

Never heard of him until I saw that video but he's a pretty funny guy. Love the video reviewing the DX Racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Got the G403 myself recently, it's a perfect replacement for an MX518 that's served me 13 years. If anything it actually feels like a slightly better hand placement. Loving it so far.

13 Years!
    that's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

13 Years!
    that's impressive.

Would be since they were released in 2005. I quibble though 12 years is pretty good. I bought mine in 2006 and its still used daily.

• Advertisement

Can someone explain to me when gamers became so concerned about power consumption?

Other than making sure my PSU can handle it, it wouldn't be something I would care about at all. I would go far as to say when I bought my latest PSU I over speced it so that I could crossfire/SLI almost anything I wanted without having to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Can someone explain to me when gamers became so concerned about power consumption?

Other than making sure my PSU can handle it, it wouldn't be something I would care about at all. I would go far as to say when I bought my latest PSU I over speced it so that I could crossfire/SLI almost anything I wanted without having to think about it.

When they have to start paying the electricity bills?
    Or when you need to open the windows because your pc essentially becomes a 600W heater at your feet.

More power = more heat = more noise and shorter lifespan for the hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

is there a german website that will that UK one that gives you build ideas and prices for all parts does anyone know?

See here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Komple...len-1028503/3/

Is that a good build for the price??

I have a feeling it might be cheaper here than the UK as Swiss electronic prices are generally lower and Germany too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

is there a german website that will that UK one that gives you build ideas and prices for all parts does anyone know?

See here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Komple...len-1028503/3/

Is that a good build for the price??

I have a feeling it might be cheaper here than the UK as Swiss electronic prices are generally lower and Germany too.
    Your link is broken.

Do you mean like http://DE.pcpartpicker.com / http://UK.pcpartpicker.com ?
    Or Logical Increments?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I started caring when I moved out and had to pay my own bills.

I wouldn't be too fussy but more power means more heat, unless you're using your PC as a space heater, that's a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Other than heat and cost, you also have the fact that for a lot of people a PC that supports a GTX1070 or 1080 would require a PSU upgrade for Vega.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Nolars wrote: »

Omg a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nolars wrote: »

I'm sure it would but not 100% on that. Just make sure you keep up to date with all the bios updates for RAM compatibility.

AMD released Ryzen a bit before all the bios' were ready that's why there was RAM compatibility issues at launch which are now gone where are there was no such problems with Threadripper as like unlike Ryzen they had mature drivers at launch.

• Advertisement

I started caring when I moved out and had to pay my own bills.

I wouldn't be too fussy but more power means more heat, unless you're using your PC as a space heater, that's a bad thing.

Ok I can maybe see that if you are buying a mid range card and are being careful with you money. Even at that, when you are buying a new card in this range are you more concerned by performance or power consumption?

Furthermore, does that mean you don't get the graphics card with a better cooler because the better cooler is going to cost more money upfront and with power draw?

Anyway, if you are looking at say a 1080 you are already spending €500+ on a graphics card, never mind the rest of the computer. Can you really say that you still are concerned about saving money (via power consumption) when you are throwing that much money at the pc?

With regards Vega, I do wonder is the high power draw an attempt to discourage miners from buying them all. A few benchmarks have already surfaced where undervolting and overclocking significantly improves performance. Unfortunately, that will automatically make them much more attractive to miners meaning the gaming community probably won't see these cards for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

With regards Vega, I do wonder is the high power draw an attempt to discourage miners from buying them all. A few benchmarks have already surfaced where undervolting and overclocking significantly improves performance. Unfortunately, that will automatically make them much more attractive to miners meaning the gaming community probably won't see these cards for the rest of the year.

No no, they just draw that much power because of the architecture. No artificial bloating of power draw. That wouldn't make any sense. With regards undervolting, the performance may or may not increase, i think it is generally a few percent slower, but much more stable in performance (less throttling), which leads to better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Bought a set of corsair vengeance 3200mhz to go with my ryzen build, apparently it doesn't play nice with the board/chip and I can only get it to boot at 2333Mhz

I've tried DOCP and standard at increments the whole way from 3200 down until I hit something that works, anyone got any experience with this? should I play with the timings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    Bought a set of corsair vengeance 3200mhz to go with my ryzen build, apparently it doesn't play nice with the board/chip and I can only get it to boot at 2333Mhz

I've tried DOCP and standard at increments the whole way from 3200 down until I hit something that works, anyone got any experience with this? should I play with the timings?

Do you have the latest Bios ?
    There were issues with memory and bios support wasnt there at the launch of Ryzen but it should be mostly sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably a stupid suggestion but have you got the latest bios installed? There were a couple updates released around launch that were purported to help a lot with memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Do you have the latest Bios ?
    There were issues with memory and bios support wasnt there at the launch of Ryzen but it should be mostly sorted now.
    ED E wrote: »
    Probably a stupid suggestion but have you got the latest bios installed? There were a couple updates released around launch that were purported to help a lot with memory.

I'll check when I get home, I was under the impression I was on the latest BIOS... though I did it from the in BIOS "check for updates" thing, which has only had maybe a 40% success rate for me in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow some time to buy stuff in the UK now with currency difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Headshot wrote: »
    Wow some time to buy stuff in the UK now with currency difference

Apart from AMD Vega.....

Oh wait, I have one on order :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone in the Balinteer/Rathfarnham area have a VGA cable spare?

Need one this evening ideally, and PCW want €19 for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Serephucus wrote: »
    Anyone in the Balinteer/Rathfarnham area have a VGA cable spare?

Need one this evening ideally, and PCW want €19 for one.

Analogue d sub ones? I have one, sandyford if its any use to you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement