Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Cheers, but it was super short notice. Already went to PC World and picked one up for a measly €13. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Serephucus wrote: »
    Cheers, but it was super short notice. Already went to PC World and picked one up for a measly €13. :P

Yeah we all complain about paying €13 for a VGA cable, but then go out and drop half a ton on a graphics card or monitor or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

Very happy with my new G403 mouse. It's much lighter than the Corsair M65, which initially gave me reservations about the Logitech, but having used it for a few days I've decided I prefer it now. Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Guys I am heading to New York for a week in October and was thinking of picking up a graphics card on the cheap. I know if it breaks there will be complications but I could live with that. So I was wondering if there was any services over there like Parcel Motel where I could order a few days before I go and pick it up once I arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

You should check out a Microcenter. Hear about them on tech forums. Supposed to be the pinnacle of B&M retail. Could be expensive to RMA, but depending on the brand maybe it would be ok.

• Advertisement

ReZonator wrote: »
    You should check out a Microcenter. Hear about them on tech forums. Supposed to be the pinnacle of B&M retail. Could be expensive to RMA, but depending on the brand maybe it would be ok.

Cheers. I asked on another forum here on boards and someone said Amazon have lockers in America so I will look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Double check but I think the EVGA warranty is worldwide so a US bought card can, in theory, be RMA's in the EU, worth checking with them directly though before you go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

farna_boy wrote: »
    Ok I can maybe see that if you are buying a mid range card and are being careful with you money. Even at that, when you are buying a new card in this range are you more concerned by performance or power consumption?

Furthermore, does that mean you don't get the graphics card with a better cooler because the better cooler is going to cost more money upfront and with power draw?

Anyway, if you are looking at say a 1080 you are already spending €500+ on a graphics card, never mind the rest of the computer. Can you really say that you still are concerned about saving money (via power consumption) when you are throwing that much money at the pc?

With regards Vega, I do wonder is the high power draw an attempt to discourage miners from buying them all. A few benchmarks have already surfaced where undervolting and overclocking significantly improves performance. Unfortunately, that will automatically make them much more attractive to miners meaning the gaming community probably won't see these cards for the rest of the year.

As I said, I'm not too fussy.

I'd aim for performance first, but if its at the cost of a ridiculous power draw I'll get something else. The heat inside the PC is more of a concern for me than the cost of running it, but I'd still take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There are locations where they pay a fraction of what we do for Electricity. There are reports of business users in China paying 2 Cents on the kWH. And import dutys mean the cards are not actually much different in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Very surprised at how far they got.

• Advertisement

That is crazy.

Late night rambling:

Onboard DAC is crap realtek, have a nice FiiO for output but its a portable with no input (mic not line). Never really mattered until now but I need to do some voice overs and the gain required is killing me with hiss.

Recommendations?

PS: Its a sad state of affairs when the audio from your keyboard, yes you read that correctly, is better than a very expensive workstation motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Got the i7 3770K off ebay. Managing 4.4GHz stable though I think i could do better with some tweaking as it requires more voltage than expected from the seller's settings. It's a small bump from the i5 3570K, but now I can run the media server (transcoding to PS4) and also play PUBG without massive frame drop spikes. The upgrade fever has been quelled for a little while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

4.4Ghz stable you mean?

Very much so :D

According to the sellers notes, I should be able to get 4.4 at +0.015V offset, but it's taking +0.055V to get it stable (around ~1.250V under load) at 65degreesC running Prime95.
    Might simply be my Asrock Z77 Pro3 isn't as good quality as the board they tested on (they didn't state what it was). Though I might simply be missing something.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Eeek 6800k in my hands this morning. I got the upgrades sweats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Put together my Ryzen build last night based on earlier comments in the thread, cheers folks. :)

For some reason I had an old 7800GTX hiding in my previous Geforce 670 box so that got a bit of a laugh when I sat them both next to the new Aorus 1080Ti.

The size difference between the old Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and Thermalright Le Grand Macho cooler was less appreciated though, especially when I realised why it came with an extra long screwdriver in the box. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It still fits in the case though, right?

Oh i have one of those Thermalright coolers too! The screwdriver is currently my only big screwdriver and has come in handy plenty of times. The cooler itself hasn't given me any bother either, it's just big.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It still fits in the case though, right?
    Oh yea, it's grand like, there's plenty of room in the R5. :)

Since I was a bit vague, my problem was when it came to screwing down the mounting bracket on the base of the heatsink. One of the screws was easily accessible but for the other, you have to stick the screw attached on the end of the screwdriver down into the hexagon shaped hole in the top of the unit to tighten it. Not what I'd consider a particularly intuitive installation process. :o

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Put together my Ryzen build last night based on earlier comments in the thread, cheers folks. :)

Which Ryzen chip did you go for?

Which Ryzen chip did you go for?
    1700. General opinion was that there was no point in going above that since the majority of chips can hit 3.8Ghz with little to no effort with the final push to 4.0Ghz being possible depending on chip lottery and cooling solution.

gizmo wrote: »
    1700. General opinion was that there was no point in going above that since the majority of chips can hit 3.8Ghz with little to no effort with the final push to 4.0Ghz being possible depending on chip lottery and cooling solution.

That's the one I would get as well if I was getting one.

Possibly one for those with servers:

Steam server query port (27015/27016). How can you get it so this is reachable by difference machines in a LAN, from the internet? Have stuff running in different VMs, but only now running into this. Any ideas?

For some reason I just decided to look up R9 290 prices on adverts and see people are looking for 200-250 that is crazy I sold one a few months ago for 95 euro. I knew the more modern cards went up in price but I never knew it trickled down to the older cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For some reason I just decided to look up R9 290 prices on adverts and see people are looking for 200-250 that is crazy I sold one a few months ago for 95 euro. I knew the more modern cards went up in price but I never knew it trickled down to the older cards.

I sold one a while back for €180 during the height of the mining craze, before that I couldn't even get €120 for it.

Still a pretty good card considering it's age though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Steam server query port (27015/27016). How can you get it so this is reachable by difference machines in a LAN, from the internet? Have stuff running in different VMs, but only now running into this. Any ideas?

Open port TCP 27015 on the required device. Although I would assume that the client/server would need to be in the same subnet as well.

Is that for IHS or something else? With IHS discovery is via b-cast and doing it cross network is a pain.

ED E wrote: »
    Is that for IHS or something else? With IHS discovery is via b-cast and doing it cross network is a pain.

It's just for Steam. (game server, one per VM) I've resigned myself to altering ports for each VM at this point. I had hoped there was something nicer that could be done which meant that I could forward 27015-27016 once, and have things sort themselves out... somehow.

• Advertisement

Are you setting up multiple rendering VMs for thin clients or do you mean a Source server?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement