Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you'd feel sick trying to play games at 60Hz again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Popped my 144fps cherry.

Oh my god. :eek:

I fired up my Pro earlier because i got The Lost Legacy. Ughhhhh, 30fps is a nightmare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Quick Q,

Old PC is I7 3770, looking to build a second PC of at least the same if not better bench marks.
    Am I right in thinking an R5 1600 would be a good way to do it ?

Oh and any recommendations for a cheap GPU, no gaming just movies, photoshop etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

ReZonator wrote: »
    I've a quick question,

I'm trying to return a defective GPU I bought last November to Amazon UK and I'm going around in circles on their website. When I click "Returns Support Centre" and click "Start a return" it takes me to my order history, but there is no button to click on to continue on with the process for the GPU. Strangely this is also the case for all the items in my order history, except for the most recent purchase. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

After the return period the return link on the order page disappears.

Try the 'contact us' page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Select the order for your GPU, then for 'select an issue' choose the 'other order issues' option, then for 'select issue details' pick 'something else'.

This brings up links for email, phone & chat. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I always found it easier on my phone than on the website to find those options. Amazon are ace for returns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

will56 wrote: »
    Quick Q,

Old PC is I7 3770, looking to build a second PC of at least the same if not better bench marks.

Oh and any recommendations for a cheap GPU, no gaming just movies, photoshop etc

Will be better in some things that can use all of the cores, but single thread wise there won't be a major difference - still a solid buy though.

Regards cheap GPU a basic cheap 2nd hand HD5450 or something for €15 would be grand but won't decode X265 etc (CPU will do it fine).

For full decoding capabilities, something like a GT1030 for €75.
    I fired up my Pro earlier because i got The Lost Legacy. Ughhhhh, 30fps is a nightmare now.

I was watching a guy at work yesterday playing Crysis 2 on his basic laptop.

There was no frame counter but it looked like about 15-20fps, no idea how someone could play a first person shooter like that!

When I used to play a ton of Dawn of War/Company of Heroes with friends, one of the lads had a terrible, single core celeron laptop.

Sometimes in games when everything kicked off his framerate would drop to 5 or 6fps from it's muscular 25fps average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

will56 wrote: »
    Quick Q,

If you're not going to be playing any games then just get a mid range i5 / i7 and use the iGPU for your display output.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Looking for some help lads. Been having some issues the past couple of days with F1 2016 freezing on me. I've today bought F1 2017 and its doing the same. Its making it undriveable. Never used to happen on F1 2016 which I've been playing for a year. Basically the game freezes and the gpu usage drops like a stone to single digits. I've tried a memory check and it was clear, I've moved the game to a different HDD and that didn't help and I've removed gpu OC's and lowered settings a bit and still it did it. I've attached a pic of the log from Afterburner. Shows when it dips. There's no temp issues but I not too sure what I'm looking for! Its doing my head in cos I can't play.

System specs, GTX 1080 MSI gaming X with 16GB ram and a i7 6700k oc'd to 4.5ghz.

Screenshot is when playing 2017 but similar pattern for 2016 occurred albeit with a lower constant gpu usage, power and temp

286wbdi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x for 927e on amazon.it

https://www.mydealz.de/deals/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-16-kerne-32-threads-fur-92873eur-amazonit-1043980

Thats a german website I use for deals our side of Europe, it has GPU offers and SSD quite often from amazons that should be available to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

superg wrote: »
    Looking for some help lads. Been having some issues the past couple of days with F1 2016 freezing on me. I've today bought F1 2017 and its doing the same. Its making it undriveable. Never used to happen on F1 2016 which I've been playing for a year. Basically the game freezes and the gpu usage drops like a stone to single digits. I've tried a memory check and it was clear, I've moved the game to a different HDD and that didn't help and I've removed gpu OC's and lowered settings a bit and still it did it. I've attached a pic of the log from Afterburner. Shows when it dips. There's no temp issues but I not too sure what I'm looking for! Its doing my head in cos I can't play.

System specs, GTX 1080 MSI gaming X with 16GB ram and a i7 6700k oc'd to 4.5ghz.

Screenshot is when playing 2017 but similar pattern for 2016 occurred albeit with a lower constant gpu usage, power and temp

Remove to cpu oc and test just in case something weird going on.

Any windows or Nvidia driver updates recently?

I would try DDU and try an older gpu driver too.

• Advertisement

superg run http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

and see what is happening when the lag spike happens

game4it70 wrote: »
    Remove to cpu oc and test just in case something weird going on.

Any windows or Nvidia driver updates recently?

I would try DDU and try an older gpu driver too.

|Yes there's been a couple of Nvidia updates since I last played. I was going to try a different driver next. I have just lowered all settings to ultra low and its still doing it so its not settings anyway.
    superg run http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

and see what is happening when the lag spike happens

Will do!

I didn't run that yet but something else that's changed since I last played was I bought an Oculus Rift and it has been causing some USB issues, like its overloading my USB controllers or something so I figured maybe that might be causing some issues here too. I disconnected it and the two sensors and hey presto, no more lock ups. Think I'll have to get a dedicated USB card for the rift so it stops messing with my other stuff.

Maybe not fully solved, still some minor drop outs, annoying but nowhere near game affecting so I can still play . I ran latencymon while playing and it said this

21eq35c.jpg

I've no idea where to go from that!

how much ram do you have and are you running out while playing that game

go to the other tabs on latencymon and see what processes are paging or have a high execution time.. then try update drivers to see if you can solve any of those

if you're running out of ram while playing the game that'll cause the paging

I've 16gb ram. I've updated a few drivers tonight so I'll have another go at it and see how she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Has any one got an y experience with radeon chill I cant seem to get it to work while playing the division or warframe anybody got any ideas?

how much ram do you have and are you running out while playing that game

go to the other tabs on latencymon and see what processes are paging or have a high execution time.. then try update drivers to see if you can solve any of those

if you're running out of ram while playing the game that'll cause the paging

Its confusing. Afterburner says I'm using 4GB Vram,7.5GB of RAM and 8GB of paging file but my paging file in windows is set to 2.5GB!

Windows performance monitor says I'm using about 75% of my ram while gaming and paging file use is minimal.

So Do I need more ram?

I've looked through the processes in Latencymon and the ones with the most pagefaults are antivirus, anti malware,afterburner itself and steam etc. Not device related.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Its confusing. Afterburner says I'm using 4GB Vram,7.5GB of RAM and 8GB of paging file but my paging file in windows is set to 2.5GB!

Windows performance monitor says I'm using about 75% of my ram while gaming and paging file use is minimal.

So Do I need more ram?

I've looked through the processes in Latencymon and the ones with the most pagefaults are antivirus, anti malware,afterburner itself and steam etc. Not device related.

The problem is not RAM. You have 16GB's which is plenty. I use 6GB's and game at 1440P and never had any issue.

Good cos the kit I have in my PC was 59 quid when I bought it, to buy another one of the same type to double capacity would cost 150:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Maybe not fully solved, still some minor drop outs, annoying but nowhere near game affecting so I can still play . I ran latencymon while playing and it said this

21eq35c.jpg

I've no idea where to go from that!

If you're running windows 10, try disabling the Game DVR and game bar feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I do not know why anybody would buy a mid range GTX 1080..............

I'm just after watching Adored's new video.

Squaredude wrote: »
    If you're running windows 10, try disabling the Game DVR and game bar feature.

Tried, no difference.

Also Disabled cpu throttling like latency mon suggested and that didn't work. On my latest session the program with the most page faults was actually the game itself.

Looks like I won't be solving this one as nothing I do helps it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Tried, no difference.

Also Disabled cpu throttling like latency mon suggested and that didn't work. On my latest session the program with the most page faults was actually the game itself.

Looks like I won't be solving this one as nothing I do helps it!
    I just switched from Intel Cpu to Amd cpu last night and had similar issues are my latencymon looked exactly like yours with the same drivers etc. Turned out to be a raid driver for the Intel board that was effecting drive access and locking it up.
    Did you check event viewer and system logs for around the time its happening?

deceit wrote: »
    I just switched from Intel Cpu to Amd cpu last night and had similar issues are my latencymon looked exactly like yours with the same drivers etc. Turned out to be a raid driver for the Intel board that was effecting drive access and locking it up.
    Did you check event viewer and system logs for around the time its happening?

I didn't but I'll replicate tomorrow and give those a look. Ta.

My PC used 85% of its ram while playing tonight and everything I've read suggest if thats happening often its time to add ram but thats the first time that's happened, usually at 70% ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

My PC used 85% of its ram while playing tonight and everything I've read suggest if thats happening often its time to add ram but thats the first time that's happened, usually at 70% ish.
    What is actually using all of your ram at that stage? Some windows applications purposely hold ram in reserve when their is a lot of free ram so it can look like its using more than it should.
    My machine uses 6GB-10GB ram at idle (I've 32GB).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What audio bit/hz setting you have setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

Jaysus, Amazon's service has really gone to the dogs.

I ordered a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU and it arrived - without the CPU. I got on to them and it won't be in stock for another 2 weeks, they want the heatsink sent back to them and refused to budge when I suggested they send out a 1300X instead seeing as I'd have to wait for the 1200 - figured it was worth trying since there was only £15 in the difference. I expected to have this build up by the weekend. Would it really be too much to ask that seals are checked before shipping? or at least contents if the seal is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

BeerFarts wrote: »

I ordered a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU and it arrived - without the CPU. I got on to them and it won't be in stock for another 2 weeks, they want the heatsink sent back to them and refused to budge when I suggested they send out a 1300X instead seeing as I'd have to wait for the 1200 - figured it was worth trying since there was only £15 in the difference. I expected to have this build up by the weekend. Would it really be too much to ask that seals are checked before shipping? or at least contents if the seal is broken.

That's mad, did you offer to pay the 15 stg between the two chips? Get back to them and say it's a birthday present or the likes and that you can't wait for 2 weeks.

As for checking, if it was dispatched by a person then they might not have had time to even look at it beyond picking it off a shelf and putting it on the belt. Good documentary from 2 years ago on Channel 4 showing how little time the pickers have from the time they get the order to when its expected to be on a belt going to packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BeerFarts wrote: »

Definitely not an Amazon Marketplace seller? Doesnt sound like Amazon CS to me at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement