Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

deceit wrote: »
    What is actually using all of your ram at that stage? Some windows applications purposely hold ram in reserve when their is a lot of free ram so it can look like its using more than it should.
    My machine uses 6GB-10GB ram at idle (I've 32GB).

Is there a tool that will tell me this? I have afterburner and windows performance monitor monitoring ram usage but they only log how much is being used while I game, they aren't telling exactly how much any particular program is using. I could switch to task manager with the game paused I suppose.

If ram was cheap I'd just lob another 16GB at it just to see!
    What audio bit/hz setting you have setup?

I have no idea. I'm not trying to do any specific audio tasks, just a coupe of games causing me frame stutters.

EDIT: speaker properties says 24bit at 48000hz

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

Redfox25 wrote: »
    That's mad, did you offer to pay the 15 stg between the two chips? Get back to them and say it's a birthday present or the likes and that you can't wait for 2 weeks.

As for checking, if it was dispatched by a person then they might not have had time to even look at it beyond picking it off a shelf and putting it on the belt. Good documentary from 2 years ago on Channel 4 showing how little time the pickers have from the time they get the order to when its expected to be on a belt going to packaging.

I did but apparently they didn't have that option in front of them either. It was a refund and order the 1300X or wait for the 1200. I went through phone, online chat and finally sent off an email too because this isn't what I'm used to with Amazon. To make matters worse, I won't get a refund until I send back the box with the heatsink. I'm guessing they're probably getting stung by scammers so they're more wary but it's still a major pain in the arse.
    ED E wrote: »
    Definitely not an Amazon Marketplace seller? Doesnt sound like Amazon CS to me at all.

100% Amazon themselves. I felt the same way. This is the company that gave me 15% back on a monitor a couple of years ago due to it being opened (again) and covered in fingerprints. Their customer service is one of the main reasons I order from them but I'm not so sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

superg wrote: »
    Tricky problem

Does the Rift still appear in Device Manager as a display? If so remove it (deleting driver files).

Do you have a 8GB VRAM and 16GB system? The system isn't the problem going by your screenies but the VRAM is denoted as orange which usually means warning threshold.

The other thing the others mentioned was XBox DVR, double check that and Nvidia Shadowplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Bit of an odd query but has anyone every gone with backlighting on their monitor(s)

Where I sit the main light in the room is 5 feet behind me and is a lovely looking set of 5 led bulbs thankfully with a dimmer switch.

I saw some made pics of folks taking LED strips and putting them on the back of their desks/monitors and making nice looking backlighting that was supposedly easier on the eyes.

I have a strip of LED's build into the outside of my case and its kinda cool.

Has anyone done it and is it a gimmick or worth a lash?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've seen people saying it works well with white light, and it doesn't look gimmicky if the strips are hidden IMO, everything is just brighter

• Advertisement

Bit of an odd query but has anyone every gone with backlighting on their monitor(s)

Where I sit the main light in the room is 5 feet behind me and is a lovely looking set of 5 led bulbs thankfully with a dimmer switch.

I saw some made pics of folks taking LED strips and putting them on the back of their desks/monitors and making nice looking backlighting that was supposedly easier on the eyes.

I have a strip of LED's build into the outside of my case and its kinda cool.

Has anyone done it and is it a gimmick or worth a lash?

I have and a few others here have. Theres pictures of some of them in this thread

I like it.

m9L39CYl.jpg

Current strips are a bit dim, bought them like 6yrs ago and good LEDs have become a lot cheaper since.

4 strips into a 4port USB charger into a lamp adapter with remote trigger so I can flip them on and off. Pole hides cabling.

If your monitor has USB out that might be a cleaner option just make sure they go dead when the monitor is switched off (some ports stay on).

The pictures I had in that thread are gone for some reason. Wherever I hosted them must be gone too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

ED E wrote: »
    I like it.

m9L39CYl.jpg

Current strips are a bit dim, bought them like 6yrs ago and good LEDs have become a lot cheaper since.

4 strips into a 4port USB charger into a lamp adapter with remote trigger so I can flip them on and off. Pole hides cabling.

If your monitor has USB out that might be a cleaner option just make sure they go dead when the monitor is switched off (some ports stay on).

They do look nice
    Would you leave your lights off in the room apart from those leds?

They do look nice
    Would you leave your lights off in the room apart from those leds?

If Im relaxing before bed yeah, it helps with not being blinded at scene changes in Films/TV. If I wanna stay awake the main light stays on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Does it help with eye strain?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Does it help with eye strain?

Have you heard of our lord & saviour, f.lux?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

superg wrote: »
    Is there a tool that will tell me this? I have afterburner and windows performance monitor monitoring ram usage but they only log how much is being used while I game, they aren't telling exactly how much any particular program is using. I could switch to task manager with the game paused I suppose.

If ram was cheap I'd just lob another 16GB at it just to see!

I have no idea. I'm not trying to do any specific audio tasks, just a coupe of games causing me frame stutters.

EDIT: speaker properties says 24bit at 48000hz

Just as an update for you. I installed the latest version of windows updates and got stuttering along with 3 mates last night who all updated to the latest updates.
    Microsoft released this:
    http://wccftech.com/spring-creators-update-stuttering-games/
    If the next update doesn't fix it I will walk you through what to check to look for issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Have you heard of our lord & saviour, f.lux?

Windows 10 has it's own built in version of this now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Windows 10 has it's own built in version of this now.

And it sucks balls.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

And it sucks balls.

Does it? I use it and haven't had any issues with it. What's so bad about it?

deceit wrote: »
    Just as an update for you. I installed the latest version of windows updates and got stuttering along with 3 mates last night who all updated to the latest updates.
    Microsoft released this:
    http://wccftech.com/spring-creators-update-stuttering-games/
    If the next update doesn't fix it I will walk you through what to check to look for issues.

I installed creators update a couple of times this year and always rolled back as I had various issues. I'm not running it at present but to be honest I was thinking of doing a windows reset just to clean up the drive a bit and because of issues I've been having just to see if it helps. I do like to do a refresh every so often anyway.

There has been a n ongoing error in windows update for the last few weeks for me that it couldn't install a patch. I have to try a manual install.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Does anyone have a rough idea what I would need to play the new AOE Definitive Edition coming in October?

My Core M Intel Stick is playing AOE2 HD just fine but I feel like it will definitely not be able to manage a newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Does anyone have a rough idea what I would need to play the new AOE Definitive Edition coming in October?

My Core M Intel Stick is playing AOE2 HD just fine but I feel like it will definitely not be able to manage a newer one.
    Architecture: X64 required
    Processor: 1.8 Ghz+ Dual Core or greater i3, i5, or i7, or AMD equivalent
    Graphics: Intel HD 4000 or Greater (16 or more Execution Units), AMD or nVidia GPU scoring 500 or more on Passmark G3D Mark
    Memory: 4GB
    Storage: 8-10GB
    An i5 NUC is probably enough. Saw a Brix Pro NUC that would run it too.

Or pretty much any i3/i5 ex-office machine (just check the integrated graphics by searching the CPU on Intel Ark).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    An i5 NUC is probably enough. Saw a Brix Pro NUC that would run it too.

Or pretty much any i3/i5 ex-office machine (just check the integrated graphics by searching the CPU on Intel Ark).

Thanks again. Gonna have a look at this https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/computer-und-netzwerk/pcs/intel/core/core-i/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i7ryh/v/an932393754/

• Advertisement

Sorry to be back again. I spotted a bargain today on a local Basel forum. An Intel NUC5i3ryh with 120gb SSD, ram and wifi chip for 40 euros!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc5i3ryh.html

Going to collect it tonight and Ill use it anyway but does anyone know if I can run a GPU with this through the M2 slot?

From here it seems like its possible:
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/98962

but not sure if anyone has anymore info?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

can anyone recommend so decent silent 120mm fans

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Have a look at the noise levels of fans here; https://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans

Oh, and ensure you're using those rubber screws. They make a nice difference, I've found!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Also consider changing to 140's as you can spin them at lower RPM's and get the same cooling performance as 120's.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I have a 980ti and a Vega64 in my possession, which do I keep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Blitz17 wrote: »
    I have a 980ti and a Vega64 in my possession, which do I keep?

The Vega of course, it's not that bad of a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Deffo Vega as is is a better card than the 980Ti.

I'm thinking about getting a Vega 64 LC all I have to do is shift my old card and then I will get it. If I don't sell then I will just hold onto my Fury X.

Also with the Vega you have the option of getting a 1440p Freesync monitor which is totally worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

dunworth1 wrote: »

i have a rake of arctic cooling f12 pwms (7 in the case, 6 in use) because they're cheap as chips, put out some decent airflow and don't sound like a hurricane

as mentioned though: use rubber mounts. Akasa make nice ones, again, cheap

Previously was using coolermaster and corsair fans, wasn't impressed. Thought about noctua but they were 4x the price and look like dog vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Deffo Vega as is is a better card than the 980Ti.

I'm thinking about getting a Vega 64 LC all I have to do is shift my old card and then I will get it. If I don't sell then I will just hold onto my Fury X.

Also with the Vega you have the option of getting a 1440p Freesync monitor which is totally worth it imo.
    Why would you get vega if Gtx1080 is better and cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

twinsen wrote: »
    Why would you get vega if Gtx1080 is better and cheaper?

Freesync Monitor or betting on the vega being the better card in 6 months time(which is pretty likely)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement