Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

might get around to upgrading my gtx 580 so...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

might get around to upgrading my gtx 580 so...

Wow, your using a old card, I had one of those but have had two cards since and thinking about getting a Vega

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it would've held up pretty OK considering the age. Still around the same speed as a GTX750Ti or a bit faster. Not bad almost 7 years later you can still play all the latest games pretty OK at 1080p low-ish settings.

Wow, your using a old card, I had one of those but have had two cards since and thinking about getting a Vega

I haven't upgraded anything bar adding storage since 2011/2012 I unfortunately don't play games these days though haven't logged into steam in around 200 days :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Thinking of getting Sony MDR-7506. Would there be any better deal for the same quality in that €100 range?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Think I'll go with the M40x thanks

I have audio technica m50, bought at the end of 2011 still going strong with daily use since then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hey lads. Where do you buy your networking cable these days?

I'm on the market for a 305m reel of external grade shielded Cat 6a with a decent AWG size. I had been recommended cable monkey but their choice seems limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Hey lads. Where do you buy your networking cable these days?

I'm on the market for a 305m reel of external grade shielded Cat 6a with a decent AWG size. I had been recommended cable monkey but their choice seems limited.

depending what i'm after either

http://www.freetv.ie/
    or

http://www.kedington.ie/ (http://www.kedingtondirect.ie/)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Thanks very much dunworth! Free tv are only 20 mins up the road from me so hopefully they'll have what I need. Nice to support local if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Got a Steam controller for practically nothing a while back but only really using it properly in the last week. Not great for all games but those it does work well with its really a nice bit of kit.

Problem is, now I'm contemplating a Steam Link...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

So my game stuttering problems have been resolved by a clean install of Windows.

Bit of an extreme solution but it worked so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

superg wrote: »
    So my game stuttering problems have been resolved by a clean install of Windows.

Bit of an extreme solution but it worked so I'm happy.

I read on another forum that there was a Windows update that caused stuttering for some users but they released a fix but it is only available for (I cannot remember the proper name kind of like a preview build tester, like beta testers) and it will be pushed to all users within in the next month.

Just a heads up in case you update again and the stuttering come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Caught in two minds lads. Currently running an i3 6100/H110m/RX 480 and going to upgrade the cpu. Option 1 is to buy a i7 7700 and be done with it. Option 2 is to get an R5 1600/B350. The 2nd option could also include just transferring over DDR4 2133 mem I have or getting faster 3000 RAM and selling my old cpu/mobo/ram. I mostly just game/surf on the machine so just looking for the best value as I'm a tight arse :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Joshua J wrote: »
    Caught in two minds lads. Currently running an i3 6100/H110m/RX 480 and going to upgrade the cpu. Option 1 is to buy a i7 7700 and be done with it. Option 2 is to get an R5 1600/B350. The 2nd option could also include just transferring over DDR4 2133 mem I have or getting faster 3000 RAM and selling my old cpu/mobo/ram. I mostly just game/surf on the machine so just looking for the best value as I'm a tight arse :D .

Just go for option 1
    If all your doing is gaming then you will have more performance from the 7700.
    The only thing then is your graphics card will become your bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

SickBoy wrote: »
    Just go for option 1
    If all your doing is gaming then you will have more performance from the 7700.
    The only thing then is your graphics card will become your bottleneck.

Aye but the i7 isnt new and shiny lol but is the front runner in my mind too tbf for pure handiness. The GPU will keep for another while no plans to upgrade from 1080p atm.

Just get a 2nd hand i7-6700. Runs way cooler and performance is almost the same.

Just get a 2nd hand i7-6700. Runs way cooler and performance is almost the same.

That should have been option 3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Or wait for Coffee lake?

Alpha8 wrote: »
    Or wait for Coffee lake?

That won't work in his current motherboard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I didn't think the 7700 would work in an 110 board, with DDR3 too.

Shows how far out of the loop I am!

Spent an hour messing around setting up my steam link yesterday only to realise afterwards that my Samsung Smart TV has Steamlink built into the software. :mad:

That said I did learn that SteamLink is pretty useless for 4K sets as it's only 1080p and quality looks poor. Impressed with the input though, zero lag that I could detect.

So the steamlink box gets relegated to the living room.....where it will likely never, ever be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I didn't think the 7700 would work in an 110 board, with DDR3 too.

Shows how far out of the loop I am!

Intel doesn't recommend running their 6xxx/7xxx CPUs with any DDR3 except DDR3-L (low voltage); as the memory controller could get fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I read on another forum that there was a Windows update that caused stuttering for some users but they released a fix but it is only available for (I cannot remember the proper name kind of like a preview build tester, like beta testers) and it will be pushed to all users within in the next month.

Just a heads up in case you update again and the stuttering come back.

Yeah it was the creators update, I'm not on that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

About to buy a 1080ti, will have to wait a couple of weeks/months for a gsync monitor.

I have a 650-psu gold I spoke to over clockers and I was recommended to get a 850 watt.

Would this be correct?

About to buy a 1080ti, will have to wait a couple of weeks/months for a gsync monitor.

I have a 650-psu gold I spoke to over clockers and I was recommended to get a 850 watt.

Would this be correct?

A 650w gold will be perfectly fine. A full 1080Ti system with an i7-7700 as an example shouldn't pull more than about 450w under load even with some overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

A 650w gold will be perfectly fine. A full 1080Ti system with an i7-7700 as an example shouldn't pull more than about 450w under load even with some overclocking.

Ok I'm running 1700x @3.9 5 hard drives 16gb of ram and a kraken x62 the card I'm getting is a kfa2 1080ti hof so just want to make sure its going to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Planning a build for someone that wants to future proof, willing to spend the extra to get the best.
    Ryzen or I5/I7 for office, sage, photoshop, browsing etc. Usual has Excel, sage, chrom (multiple tabs) all running at the same time.
    Go all out and get an I7 or would Ryzen be a more economical multi-core solution ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement