Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

will56 wrote: »
    Planning a build for someone that wants to future proof, willing to spend the extra to get the best.
    Ryzen or I5/I7 for office, sage, photoshop, browsing etc. Usual has Excel, sage, chrom (multiple tabs) all running at the same time.
    Go all out and get an I7 or would Ryzen be a more economical multi-core solution ?

Ryzen is a better option if you want to future-proof the machine for sure. Better upgrade paths available.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Planning a build for someone that wants to future proof, willing to spend the extra to get the best.
    Ryzen or I5/I7 for office, sage, photoshop, browsing etc. Usual has Excel, sage, chrom (multiple tabs) all running at the same time.
    Go all out and get an I7 or would Ryzen be a more economical multi-core solution ?
    Ryzen B350 motherboard & Ryzen 3-1200 or Ryzen 5-1400 probably more than enough for general office tasks.
    Or Ryzen 5-1600.
    Just needs a cheap GPU (Nvidia GT 1030 / AMD RX 550) for video output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ryzen B350 motherboard & Ryzen 3-1200 or Ryzen 5-1400 probably more than enough for general office tasks.
    Or Ryzen 5-1600.
    Just needs a cheap GPU (Nvidia GT 1030 / AMD RX 550) for video output.

Cool, he has an i7 3770

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Cool, he has an i7 3770

Then he shouldn't need to update,

Then he shouldn't need to update,

Agree, but its in an oem with no room to upgrade so we're starting again from scratch, with an ssd for the OS, back up drives etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Agree, but its in an oem with no room to upgrade so we're starting again from scratch, with an ssd for the OS, back up drives etc

But you're only moving sideways. Makes far more sense to hang onto that one for a few more years then upgrade.

Throw in an SSD and you're sorted. Ryzen 3 and 4 would be a downgrade, even Ryzen 6 would be somewhat of a sideways move.

You wouldn't even notice a difference between an i7-3770 and a kabylake i7-7700 unless you were a very heavy user of photoshop/editing.

For a real worthwhile upgrade on an i7-3770 assuming you plan to keep it a good few long years, Ryzen 1700 would be a logical step though at stock speeds and in things that favor core speed over multiple cores, it's still not much of an upgrade at all on an i7-3770.

And it doesn't sound like your friend is really that heavy a user.

But you're only moving sideways. Makes far more sense to hang onto that one for a few more years then upgrade.

Throw in an SSD and you're sorted. Ryzen 3 and 4 would be a downgrade, even Ryzen 6 would be somewhat of a sideways move.

You wouldn't even notice a difference between an i7-3770 and a kabylake i7-7700 unless you were a very heavy user of photoshop/editing.

For a real worthwhile upgrade on an i7-3770 assuming you plan to keep it a good few long years, Ryzen 1700 would be a logical step though at stock speeds and in things that favor core speed over multiple cores, it's still not much of an upgrade at all on an i7-3770.

And it doesn't sound like your friend is really that heavy a user.

He really isn't, but he's the type of person that wants to spend the money and get the best part/equipment possible.
    That's why he has the current machine, would have been more than he needed but its lasted him a long while.

I've explained he might not see any difference in usage, he just wants a newer machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Does his old PC have an SSD? People often confuse the improvement an SSD offers with the speed of the actual PC - eg a Pentium processor with an SSD will appear faster than an i7 without an SSD for desktop tasks.

So if the new PC has an SSD and this current i7 doesn't, he'll probably equate the enormous difference in speed to the 'newer' PC :)

What's his budget? I think realistically for a high end modern build that's a strong worthwhile upgrade from the i7-3770 he'll be looking at around 1k, assuming he's not a gamer.

Does his old PC have an SSD? People often confuse the improvement an SSD offers with the speed of the actual PC - eg a Pentium processor with an SSD will appear faster than an i7 without an SSD for desktop tasks.

So if the new PC has an SSD and this current i7 doesn't, he'll probably equate the enormous difference in speed to the 'newer' PC :)

What's his budget? I think realistically for a high end modern build that's a strong worthwhile upgrade from the i7-3770 he'll be looking at around 1k, assuming he's not a gamer.

Old PC doesn't have an SSD and I don't think the motherboard has a Sata port to use one.

He kinda wants to start a fresh with a new tower, couple of internal HHD for back up, the SSD for the OS etc. There isn't the space in his current one for that so thats why he wants a new build.
    When I seen he had the I7 in the current one I was surprised too that he had that in it and that he wanted to get a new PC.
    Because his current has the I7 he wants to keep at that "level" even though he might not see the benefit of spending that much.

No real budget as such, its going through his business as it'll be his Office PC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Old PC doesn't have an SSD and I don't think the motherboard has a Sata port to use one.

He kinda wants to start a fresh with a new tower, couple of internal HHD for back up, the SSD for the OS etc. There isn't the space in his current one for that so thats why he wants a new build.
    When I seen he had the I7 in the current one I was surprised too that he had that in it and that he wanted to get a new PC.
    Because his current has the I7 he wants to keep at that "level" even though he might not see the benefit of spending that much.

No real budget as such, its going through his business as it'll be his Office PC

He should get a Ryzen 7 1700, 3200 MHz CL14 RAM and a NVMe boot drive SSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

He should get a Ryzen 7 1700, 3200 MHz CL14 RAM and a NVMe boot drive SSD.
    Ryzen 7, are you mad?

Sure for his workloads he'll need ThreadRipper or EPYC! :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ryzen 7, are you mad?

Sure for his workloads he'll need ThreadRipper or EPYC! :pac:

He just said the guy wants the best to last a few years.

I have a PC that is on the aging x58 platform. I upgraded a few parts over the years. New CPU, two SSD's and a few GPU's. It is still going strong.

So he should aim to get a 1700 rather than a 1600 as it should last longer as it has more cores.

I myself will be upgrading to a Ryzen system but not at the minute I will be waiting for the Ryzen refresh that will hopefully be coming out early next year.

He just said the guy wants the best to last a few years.

I have a PC that is on the aging x58 platform. I upgraded a few parts over the years. New CPU, two SSD's and a few GPU's. It is still going strong.

So he should aim to get a 1700 rather than a 1600 as it should last longer as it has more cores.

I myself will be upgrading to a Ryzen system but not at the minute I will be waiting for the Ryzen refresh that will hopefully be coming out early next year.

He's the type of guy that'd by a Merc and drive it till it stops rather than a Corolla which'd suit his needs better

That's why I was thinking Ryzen (maybe not 1700) with an SSD. It'll be nice an quick and should last him ages

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

dropped my 27" monitor... :(

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.HG7EE.007

Looking for a replacement.

Mostly gaming, witcher 3, skyrim, league of legends, PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds, watching movies, office work etc.

Size is important. I got really accustomed to the large resolution of 2560 x 1440, so I want to keep that or go higher.

GPU is a gtx 970.

Any suggestions from you fine people? :)

Budget isn't huge at the moment. maybe €300?

Mostly gaming, witcher 3, skyrim, league of legends, PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds, watching movies, office work etc.

Size is important. I got really accustomed to the large resolution of 2560 x 1440, so I want to keep that or go higher.

GPU is a gtx 970.

I've one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GW2765HT-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor/dp/B00M913DVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506519333&sr=8-1&keywords=gw2765ht

Keep an eye out for Warehouse deals or even ebay, I managed to pick one up for £200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I've one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GW2765HT-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor/dp/B00M913DVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506519333&sr=8-1&keywords=gw2765ht

Keep an eye out for Warehouse deals or even ebay, I managed to pick one up for £200

Had one of these till it met its maker. Loved it, good quality and lovely colors from it.

And do buy accidental damage cover, and save yourself more heartbreak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

GPU is a gtx 970.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01JIQ8OBI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I do hate when you buy a nice new part and then find its not compatible :o

I bought a mobo 5 months ago to swap out my crappy Msi one that was flaky but I waited until now to use it.
    Waiting for Vega was the main reason I didn't do the rebuild.Spent a few weeks getting 2 water blocks for it Rma'd which didn't help either.

I also bought a M2 ssd drive for the OS and didn't do enough research.It only works with my older mobo and not the new one.I never checked the manual of the new board to see if it was suitable with it like a right noob :o
    Unfortunately I got it 2 months ago so I can't return it.

Note to self check if the mobo can use PCIe,Sata or both M2's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

game4it70 wrote: »
    I do hate when you buy a nice new part and then find its not compatible :o

I bought a mobo 5 months ago to swap out my crappy Msi one that was flaky but I waited until now to use it.
    Waiting for Vega was the main reason I didn't do the rebuild.Spent a few weeks getting 2 water blocks for it Rma'd which didn't help either.

I also bought a M2 ssd drive for the OS and didn't do enough research.It only works with my older mobo and not the new one.I never checked the manual of the new board to see if it was suitable with it like a right noob :o
    Unfortunately I got it 2 months ago so I can't return it.

Note to self check if the mobo can use PCIe,Sata or both M2's.

Yep, M2 nearly got me too. They really don't make any real distinction between M2 sata and M2 Pci-ex besides price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Question about Positive vs Negative pressure. I have 2 x 140mm intake, 1 x 140mm exhaust and 240mm rad and my system is getting quite dusty especially on the PSU shroud. Would i be better swapping out the 2 x 140 intakes with 3 x 120mm fans or would the difference be negligible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im really surprised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow that new COD game is really all kinds of dreadful

From the graphics which look very out dated to the actual game play

Its woeful, of course its a beta and things could change....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Headshot wrote: »
    of course its a beta and things could change....

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Headshot wrote: »
    wow that new COD game is really all kinds of dreadful

From the graphics which look very out dated to the actual game play

Its woeful, of course its a beta and things could change....

I was watching Summit play it last night. Was it always this fast? i.e. reload animations in 1 second make the character look like a reloading ninja. Someone made a great point about there being lit optics in a ww2 game (not invented till after the war), but then again, this is modern day CoD, even moderate realism is gone waaaaay out the window at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

CoD has been a **** show since Modern Warfare 2 imo. As soon as it stopped being PC exclusive it turned to ass.

It's what happens you bastardise a franchise with yearly updates. Will still sell bucket loads though but I heard the last game had half the sales of the previous one so maybe people are finally waking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

That's the evening occupied ��

image.jpg

Is it a 64 or 56?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Is it a 64 or 56?

Vega64 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Z35 launching in Q1 next year, I have my heart set on a Z34.

Is it worth it or should I wait again for the Z35 to drop to a price thats under 1k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hey folks I successfully overclocked 1700X to 3.8 and did a 20 minute prime 95 test and it was fine.

Im just wondering does any one know of a siite where I can learn more about overclocking. So I can try squezze a little more juice I got it to 3.9 at 1.45 but cant seem to get it to 4.0 it just switches of on cinebench 3.8 feels good I found 3.9 to be a little more unsuitable.

I work on the air flow of the case a bit more and with a 1080ti coming a little more umph would be nice.

Any tips?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement