Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AFAIK, 90-95% of Ryzen 7-1700's overclock to 3.8/3.9GHz, only 5% to 4.0GHz (or above).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hey folks I successfully overclocked 1700X to 3.8 and did a 20 minute prime 95 test and it was fine.

Any tips?

Don't know of any up to date sites but when I used overclock I'd never consider something stable until I'd done a minimum of 12 hours prime 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hey folks I successfully overclocked 1700X to 3.8 and did a 20 minute prime 95 test and it was fine.

Im just wondering does any one know of a siite where I can learn more about overclocking. So I can try squezze a little more juice I got it to 3.9 at 1.45 but cant seem to get it to 4.0 it just switches of on cinebench 3.8 feels good I found 3.9 to be a little more unsuitable.

I work on the air flow of the case a bit more and with a 1080ti coming a little more umph would be nice.

Any tips?

Overclock.net is fairly good but you will have to do a lot of reading.

From reading there myself 3.8/3.9 is about what you can expect. One thing the newer chips do better than the earlier batches is overclock with less volts.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AFAIK, 90-95% of Ryzen 7-1700's overclock to 3.8/3.9GHz, only 5% to 4.0GHz (or above).

Yes, that is what I have read also. The general consensuses is that they bin the chips for Threadripper. So all the best go to them supposedly. I do not know how true that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Ah ffs yet another mech keyboard is playing up for me.

After 3 dodgy Corsair K70's I went with a CM MasterKeys Pro L White which I like a lot.
    One key is missing or repeating keys and 3 of them are sticking.

Thankfully I bought from Amazon so at least the rma should go ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

game4it70 wrote: »
    Ah ffs yet another mech keyboard is playing up for me.

After 3 dodgy Corsair K70's I went with a CM MasterKeys Pro L White which I like a lot.
    One key is missing or repeating keys and 3 of them are sticking.

Thankfully I bought from Amazon so at least the rma should go ok.
    Well that's unfortunate! I have had two CM mech keyboards (one is TKL) and both still going strong years later. Hopefully it was just a faulty unit, and not a product manufqcturing/design fault. I would google to see if others have the same problem with the same model before getting a replacement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Well that's unfortunate! I have had two CM mech keyboards (one is TKL) and both still going strong years later. Hopefully it was just a faulty unit, and not a product manufqcturing/design fault. I would google to see if others have the same problem with the same model before getting a replacement!

Good idea,thanks.

Intel Coffee-Lake review embargo has been lifted
    https://videocardz.com/73089/intel-8th-gen-core-coffee-lake-s-review-roundup

Obviously it's faster than current AMD Ryzen. However it's also more expensive, and availability is rumoured to be low.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Intel Coffee-Lake review embargo has been lifted
    https://videocardz.com/73089/intel-8th-gen-core-coffee-lake-s-review-roundup

Obviously it's faster than current AMD Ryzen. However it's also more expensive, and availability is rumoured to be low.

I watched a few reviews on YouTube and yes at 1080P Intel wins but go up to 1440P or even 4k and they are much the same. And sure I'd say most are on 1440P or higher or are thinking about it as it is pointless still playing at 1080P coming into 2018.

I watched a few reviews on YouTube and yes at 1080P Intel wins but go up to 1440P or even 4k and they are much the same. And sure I'd say most are on 1440P or higher or are thinking about it as it is pointless still playing at 1080P coming into 2018.

You can prise my 1080p 120Hz monitor from my cold, dead hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm curious if the processors have the same overhead as the current range in terms of OC. Another two cores and that crappy TIM.....

• Advertisement

I'm curious if the processors have the same overhead as the current range in terms of OC. Another two cores and that crappy TIM.....

Yes they still overclock well same a Kaby or skylake even with 6 cores.

edit: They are a hot chip though. Just to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Umm did anyone know that newegg have an irish website?

https://www.newegg.com/global/ie

Ships from US tho

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Umm did anyone know that newegg have an irish website?

https://www.newegg.com/global/ie

Ships from US tho

Not worth it, prices don't include tax and RMA would be a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I've watched the benchmarks, am I the only one who feels there slightly cherry picked?

Not much in multi-core performance no playing game while streaming at say 720 fps at 60FPS while say playing at 1440? is it to much to ask:D?#

I've watched the benchmarks, am I the only one who feels there slightly cherry picked?

Not much in multi-core performance no playing game while streaming at say 720 fps at 60FPS while say playing at 1440? is it to much to ask:D?#

Check out gamers nexus. They OC'd, delidded, checked thermals before and after, power consumption before and after, tested gaming and streaming and ran benchmarks.

But what most reviews won't point out, as you go up in resolution the cpu matters less. Thats why most cpu reviews focus at 1080p, when your at 4k they are all pretty much within 1-2% of each other. Also, because Intel stagnated for years at 4/8 for the top end, no games scale past 6-7 threads really. There was zero incentive to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Thinking of buyin a new monitor (27", 2560x1440, 144Hz) with either FreeSync or Gsync. I currently have a 7970GHz Ed, so I will probably need to replace my graphics card too.

Realistically, does that mean I have to buy a new graphics card, or is there any value in the second hand market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Just got woken up by a loud bang and the smell of burning coming from my pc area. Power supply for my main monitor just went up in smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Squaredude wrote: »
    Just got woken up by a loud bang and the smell of burning coming from my pc area. Power supply for my main monitor just went up in smoke

Small comfort but at least you were there and there wasn't a fire.

If it's a removable lead and adapter you should be able to get a replacement easily enough. Bit of a pita though.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Thinking of buyin a new monitor (27", 2560x1440, 144Hz) with either FreeSync or Gsync. I currently have a 7970GHz Ed, so I will probably need to replace my graphics card too.

Realistically, does that mean I have to buy a new graphics card, or is there any value in the second hand market?

I'd recommend Freesync. It is way cheaper than gsync. A second hand R9 Fury X is good if you can get one cheap or a Rx Vega 56 also if you can get one close to original retail price.

I'd recommend Freesync. It is way cheaper than gsync. A second hand R9 Fury X is good if you can get one cheap or a Rx Vega 56 also if you can get one close to original retail price.

Yeah am seriously tempted to get a Vega 56 when the non-reference ones come out next month, provided the price is right. The only reason I am looking at G-Sync really is that for not much more than a Vega 56 right now you can get a GTX1080. Then again the 1070 TI is due out soon too, so who knows.

Does anyone know if the 7970 could run games at 2560x1440?

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 7970 could run games at 2560x1440?

It would get you out of a hole but it would not be an ideal situation. As you would have to turn details down and then low frame rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Squaredude wrote: »

Glad everything is ok. Stuff like that frightens me away from leaving the PC switched on over night (for downloading etc.). I don't know how people crypto mine 24/7. I would be a worried wreck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It won't cut it really. I'm on a 970 at 2560x1440/110Hz and it barely cuts it. My last card was a 7970 and even with a decent overclock it just wasn't cut out for 1440p.

The jump to a decent monitor and card is fairly pricey. Looking at a full mid range PC price just for the monitor and card but totally worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Any one got a recommendation for a decent 1440p gsync monitor?

1070ti is out in a few weeks. I would just pick up one of them.

1070ti is out in a few weeks. I would just pick up one of them.

I'd still go with the Vega 56 and Freesync monitor. Works out cheaper overall when considering the cost of monitor and card.

I'll probably hold off until I see the results from the non-reference Vega 56 cards and the results from the 1070 TI and make a decision then.

Hopefully the release of the 1070TI will cause a drop in the price of Vega 56 cards because the combination of Vega 56 + FreeSync monitor would probably be cheaper than 1070 TI + G-Sync monitor.

Any one got a recommendation for a decent 1440p gsync monitor?

Your choice is limited to 15 models:
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=11942_2560x1440%7E11992_NVIDIA+G-Sync

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Glad everything is ok. Stuff like that frightens me away from leaving the PC switched on over night (for downloading etc.). I don't know how people crypto mine 24/7. I would be a worried wreck!

Invest in a good surge protector to ease the paranoia.

• Advertisement

I'd still go with the Vega 56 and Freesync monitor. Works out cheaper overall when considering the cost of monitor and card.

Freesysnc is great when you expect frame drops within the freesync range. But a 1070ti will probably scale well past a Vega64 liquid cooled card, let alone at 56.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement