Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Gumbi wrote: »
    Thinking of buying from Overclockers tonight. Anyone know how long there deliveries usually take and if the deliver on Saturday? Or will I have to wait til Monday/Tuesday for my card? :P

Normally 2-3days,only do sat deliveries in the uk afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

game4it70 wrote: »
    Normally 2-3days,only do sat deliveries in the uk afaik.

Gah. Should've ordered earlier in the week. Thanks! I'll have to be happy with Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúck me. RCD tripped in the house and when I restored it my main rig is dead.

Failing to post, appears mobo has power and other rails are working but no USB power out and no display activity. Never reaches the beep for a completed post.

Any way to easily test the PSU to know? Have a multimeter here.

EDIT: Have drained system power and then again with no CMOS batt, no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Out of curiosity, was the rig on a surge protector of any kind? If it's a Belkin one, usually their warranty will cover any damaged components from power surges ('cause that shouldn't happen with them).

I wish, never bothered with protectors as its never been an issue. Until now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

That sucks. Hopefully your PSU probably took the blow. Have you tried the onboard graphics?

Older Workstation board, no onboard graphics.

Just tested the PSU, PCI rails fine and 24 pin seems perfect too, 3.3 5 and -12v. Cant get close to the CPU power to test that.

All signs point to the board from what I can see. Wont be able to replace it so I'll have to do a platform upgrade sooner than I'd hoped :(

Changed PCIE slot for the GPU and she boots! :eek:

EDIT: Went back to the other slot to confirm if it was that that had died. No life with the GPU there. Revert to the lower slot? Nada. Back to main, nada.

Somethings wrong but Im not sure what it is.....

Just tried something very interesting here...

Was moving my rig over to a 730T (from my DS1), and I just really couldn't be arsed moving the watercooling, so I grabbed an old air cooler (True Spirit 120, I think), and stuck my 780's stock cooler back on. I pulled everything out of the case that come impede airflow, and stuck two GTs in the front, one in the floor, and one on the CPU cooler.

The result?

A more quiet rig than I had before (at idle).

Load noise is obviously higher with the GPU spinning up, but I'm thinking I'll get rid of all my WC gear and grab a Strix 980 and an NH-D15. Did not think air had gotten this quiet.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Just tried something very interesting here...

Was moving my rig over to a 730T (from my DS1), and I just really couldn't be arsed moving the watercooling, so I grabbed an old air cooler (True Spirit 120, I think), and stuck my 780's stock cooler back on. I pulled everything out of the case that come impede airflow, and stuck two GTs in the front, one in the floor, and one on the CPU cooler.

The result?

A more quiet rig than I had before (at idle).

Load noise is obviously higher with the GPU spinning up, but I'm thinking I'll get rid of all my WC gear and grab a Strix 980 and an NH-D15. Did not think air had gotten this quiet.

Pfft if you leave the WC club you aint getting back in :p

What pump where you using?
    The vibration of my D5 is the loudest thing in my setup.

• Advertisement

D5 as well. Was the loudest thing in mine too.

I do love the temps, but it's just so much bloody effort every time you want to change anything. To be honest though, I like silence first, performance second, so I'm perfectly fine not OCing as high if it means a quieter rig.

It's really nice to be able to think "I think I'll change my GPU tomorrow" and know I'll only need five minutes, and not a couple of hours.

The lack of ability to swap bits out is a pain for sure.I put up with it as silence is vital for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Don't think i could go back from water cooling, i enjoy the silence too much. Noisiest part for me is my external hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Serephucus wrote: »
    D5 as well. Was the loudest thing in mine too.

I do love the temps, but it's just so much bloody effort every time you want to change anything. To be honest though, I like silence first, performance second, so I'm perfectly fine not OCing as high if it means a quieter rig.

It's really nice to be able to think "I think I'll change my GPU tomorrow" and know I'll only need five minutes, and not a couple of hours.

Linus did a near silent build. Nice for a few ideas maybe?

I saw that, and it's pretty damn similar to what I'm thinking I'll move to. I don't think I'll be going with a silence-oriented case though. From my experience they just impede way too much airflow, and with all the components in the build making very little noise on their own, the case only makes a difference under very heavy load, where - the majority of the time - there'll be plenty of sound coming through the speakers/headphones to mask it.

I'll be picking up a 970 Strix probably around January, and I'd like to grab a 1TB SSD to get rid of my mechanical drive as well, though I'd like to see if Crucial has anything up their sleeve for CES first.

Random other point: Hinged case doors with latches need to be everywhere. They're just the best.

Its weird how you dont notice just how loud HDD's are until you move to SSDs. My data drive is a 2tb platter but it ends up being spun down most of the time so its really noticeable when it spins up. I have music blaring 24/7 though so I'm not bothered about the silence aspect of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Noise is one of those things you tell yourself that you don't really care, but sooner or later, you just end up caring. You get a better CPU cooler, and suddenly you become aware of your case fans. You get better case fans, and your GPU starts to get on your nerves because IT'S RUINING EVERYTHING!

Meh, I live with coil whine (sounds like a mini ambulance as it alternates freq) when my machine idles, fans are nothing :pac:

Curses. Waited too long to order my 290 Vaporxfrom HWVS. Left it til Thursday night. Was only ready for shipping on Sarurday, but UPS still hahaven't picked it up. Was hoping for it by the 23rd but looks like it'll be the 26th at this stage. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Curses. Waited too long to order my 290 Vaporxfrom HWVS. Left it til Thursday night. Was only ready for shipping on Sarurday, but UPS still hahaven't picked it up. Was hoping for it by the 23rd but looks like it'll be the 26th at this stage. :(

Bummer:(

I waited nearly 2 weeks for a 970 as was in stock when made bank transfer and was out of stock by the time they received the transfer. I ordered on a friday and they only received the payment the following tuesday.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Bummer:(

I waited nearly 2 weeks for a 970 as was in stock when made bank transfer and was out of stock by the time they received the transfer. I ordered on a friday and they only received the payment the following tuesday.

I used PayPal so the payment would go through instantly, probably should have just used a bank transfer and save myself the few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I used PayPal so the payment would go through instantly, probably should have just used a bank transfer and save myself the few quid!

Ive done the bank transfer a good few times now but its still a pain. Im lazy,but also quite cheap so hence my reluctance to use paypal:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vaxx

When an item is due back into stock do hardwareversand ship the whole order the day the missing item is in?

That's been my experience, yeah. They're ridiculously fast-moving when everything is in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Sad to hear Elric Phares from Tech of Tomorrow (and Motherboards.org before that) lost a second foot to diabetes.

Fair play to him,he is very upbeat considering the latest surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BanterZone

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good monitor for gaming for around €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

BanterZone wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good monitor for gaming for around €200?

If you could stretch to €234 for an Ultrasharp
    you wouldn't regret it.

Has anyone done a triple monitor setup with two vertical outer monitors that are taller than the middle larger landscape monitor?

Going to have to re-engineer my setup with new mounts in a few months so I'm trying to plan ahead. 1x 27" Korean + 2x 22" existing panels in portrait would be viable, but the 22's will be taller. It'll either be fine or drive me nuts :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

ED E wrote: »
    Has anyone done a triple monitor setup with two vertical outer monitors that are taller than the middle larger landscape monitor?

Going to have to re-engineer my setup with new mounts in a few months so I'm trying to plan ahead. 1x 27" Korean + 2x 22" existing panels in portrait would be viable, but the 22's will be taller. It'll either be fine or drive me nuts :S

No, would like to as I have a few spare 24" monitors and wall brackets ATM, but Nvidia surround does not support Portrait Landscape Portrait mode. AMD are now properly supporting PLP with the R9 285 so far, may support other cards soon enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement