Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Freesysnc is great when you expect frame drops within the freesync range. But a 1070ti will probably scale well past a Vega64 liquid cooled card, let alone at 56.

I doubt it. I'd say it will be close to a 1080 performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I doubt it. I'd say it will be close to a 1080 performance.

A bit better then a 1080 if the past is anything to go by. And the Vega64 LC is in around the 1080 at the best of times.

A bit better then a 1080 if the past is anything to go by. And the Vega64 LC is in around the 1080 at the best of times.

I think you are mixing up 64 and LC 64. Depends on the game standard 64 is better than 1080 in a lot of games.

I think you are mixing up 64 and LC 64. Depends on the game standard 64 is better than 1080 in a lot of games.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/vega-64-unleashed-27-games-tested-using-liquid-cooled-edition-vs-gtx-1080-gtx-1080-ti/4/

Lets be honest here. The vega64 LC is about as good as you can get, no board partner is going to beat a AIO for cooling. And it has very little headroom for OC'ing. Meanwhile it trades blows with a 1080 FE, while a non-FE card is still 180 Sterling cheaper?

Right now at this moment in time, the 56 has merits and the 64's are pointless. The second the 1070ti comes out, its blown out of the water.

AMD had to beat Nvidias current gen with this product, not match it. And they failed to do so.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/vega-64-unleashed-27-games-tested-using-liquid-cooled-edition-vs-gtx-1080-gtx-1080-ti/4/

Lets be honest here. The vega64 LC is about as good as you can get, no board partner is going to beat a AIO for cooling. And it has very little headroom for OC'ing. Meanwhile it trades blows with a 1080 FE, while a non-FE card is still 180 Sterling cheaper?

Right now at this moment in time, the 56 has merits and the 64's are pointless. The second the 1070ti comes out, its blown out of the water.

AMD had to beat Nvidias current gen with this product, not match it. And they failed to do so.

That's a bad review look at all the old DX11 games. Look up another review of more modern titles.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1476-amd-radeon-vega-64/page2.html

Edit: Sorry my internet was bad and never loaded the full review just checked it again and the full review loaded with all the games.

• Advertisement

I'm a big believer in AMD fine wine and their forward thinking in terms of architecture. But when GPU performance goes up by 30% year on year, increased performance through drivers optimisation and newer API's means **** when the next mid tier Nvidia GPU will **** on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Invest in a good surge protector to ease the paranoia.

Yeah a good surge protector is a must. Lost an old pc to a power surge. Top of my list when I built my first gaming pc was a surge protector
    Redfox25 wrote: »
    Small comfort but at least you were there and there wasn't a fire.

If it's a removable lead and adapter you should be able to get a replacement easily enough. Bit of a pita though.
    Yeah I just plugged my laptop charger into the monitor and its up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

When you sell all your adverts/ adverts in one day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Shaker style test bench, just when you think you've seen it all seen it all..

• Advertisement

You wouldn't mind but the rx580's are coming back to normal prices again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My son wants a 4k screen for his pc. I'm not sure if its feasible given his current parts. He has an i5 4440 and a GTX970 but he'll be getting my 1080 when I upgrade to a ti. Will that CPU hold him back for 4k?

superg wrote: »
    My son wants a 4k screen for his pc. I'm not sure if its feasible given his current parts. He has an i5 4440 and a GTX970 but he'll be getting my 1080 when I upgrade to a ti. Will that CPU hold him back for 4k?

No, 4k is very GPU limted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CPU would be sound at 60fps I reckon, maybe a drop in settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Generally no, a little bit in some stuff like Battlefield 1 online but that's due to the CPU and not the actual resolution.

4k isn't worth it for gaming unless you're actually gaming on a full size 4k TV in my opinion.

For a monitor, better off with a 1440p screen, and it'll be much easier on the GTX1080 as well and allow him to play on ultra settings....4K will require a lot of compromise for that card.

Thanks lads, I've been 4k gaming with the 1080 and its been fine in all honesty. Sure I don't get 60fps but I'm not that sensitive to fps variations, I get stable mid 40s on ultra and the games look and play great to me. I still want a Ti though :D

That said I was trying to steer him to 1440p cos I'd likely get a better monitor for the money it will cost to get a decent sized 4k screen. I have a 43" screen but its too pricey. Was actually looking at the screen you have TerrorFirmer, seems good value for the money, not sure about the size though. Also hadn't considered actual 4k TVs.

There's so many choices out there for monitors I don't know where to start!

Imo 28" is far too small for a 4k monitor. 32" and bigger is best. While 27" is best for 1440P and 24" is best for 1080P.

Whats the downsides to using a TV, Its far easier to get a good sized 4K TV for a decent price then it is a monitor. I know TV will have higher lag and won't have DP ports but if he's not gaming competitively would any of that matter?

Whats the downsides to using a TV, Its far easier to get a good sized 4K TV for a decent price then it is a monitor. I know TV will have higher lag and won't have DP ports but if he's not gaming competitively would any of that matter?

The reasons you mentioned are the only ones. Also there are no Adaptive sync technologies in Tv's atm, so you loose out on that also.

Also how does he game k&M or controller as if the first it is pointless going massive if going with a TV as we all know you can get really big ones these days for smallish money.

He was mostly using a pad but has been changing to KB and Mouse lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Response time very important, but otherwise not much to be worried about once you're happy with the image quality. However, a 4K TV would only be a secondary gaming screen, as you'd have to be sitting a far way back from it. I use my monitor for multiplayer/fps/strategy games and then my TV for some single player games (using the Xbox gamepad).

Anything over about 28" is extremely difficult to sit in front of with a keyboard and mouse, let alone a 40"+ TV! I had a 32" monitor at one point and had to sell it as it was just too big to use in that way, and I do have a fairly deep desk.

Must be personal preference then, I've a 43" screen less than a metre from my nose and I find it fine :D

I don't want the young lad eyes going wonky though so I'll look for a max 28-32" screen for him, 1440p or 4k if i can find one at a good price. Maybe widescreen.

Got my 1080ti today its fookin massive only 2 hours left untill I can install it.

Got my 1080ti today its fookin massive only 2 hours left untill I can install it.

Not too bad. What was your old card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Asus are sending me a new power supply for my monitor, just have to chuck the old one in the bin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Welcome to the club comrade :)

Not too bad. What was your old card?

Kfa2 hof :D onlything is it don't work on displa port, hdm or vga all I get is a black screen.

I'm going to cry. Uninstalled all amd and asus gpu drivers.

It just wont give me a display

Psu 850 watt
    Not sure what else to list

Kfa2 hof :D onlything is it don't work on displa port, hdm or vga all I get is a black screen.

I'm going to cry. Uninstalled all amd and asus gpu drivers.

It just wont give me a display

Psu 850 watt
    Not sure what else to list

I'm still no wiser to what card it was.

Regarding the problem try different leads. HDMI, displayport etc...

I'm still no wiser to what card it was.

Regarding the problem try different leads. HDMI, displayport etc...

Done all that still no luck. Hdmi displayport, dvi

All the lights on the card light up. Just not.lighting on my.monitor

• Advertisement

Done all that still no luck. Hdmi displayport, dvi

All the lights on the card light up. Just not.lighting on my.monitor

What is your motherboard and CPU?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement