Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

What is your motherboard and CPU?

Asus cross hair 6 am4 1700x 16gigs of low latency ram

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Asus cross hair 6 am4 1700x 16gigs of low latency ram

I don't know what your problem is as that CPU and MB combo shouldn't have any compatibility issues. I was just wondering as I'm on the old X58 platform and some people on another forum had issues with 1080Ti on my platform so I was just wondering if you were on that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i sometimes have trouble with my monitor and displayport + 1080ti. Have you tried using another output like a tv or a different monitor.

i sometimes have trouble with my monitor and displayport + 1080ti. Have you tried using another output like a tv or a different monitor.

Yep woke up just morning was going. Thorough everything id done, then realized I had not done that so tried it and its aliiive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You should buy a decent cable. Displayport is very picky over even short runs, unlike HDMI.

• Advertisement

You should buy a decent cable. Displayport is very picky over even short runs, unlike HDMI.

Any recommendations?

Any recommendations?

Amazon basics are fine. Just the right side of decent without being Monster cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

superg wrote: »
    Must be personal preference then, I've a 43" screen less than a metre from my nose and I find it fine :D

I don't want the young lad eyes going wonky though so I'll look for a max 28-32" screen for him, 1440p or 4k if i can find one at a good price. Maybe widescreen.

Last research I read, the size or resolution of the screen matters not for children's eyes.
    What causes bad eyesight is lack of sunlight.
    So just throw the lad outside for a few hours a day.
    (source)

I want to get Forza 7 but I don't have micro soft store I removed all the adverts and stuff. can I download it anywhere?

I want to get Forza 7 but I don't have micro soft store I removed all the adverts and stuff. can I download it anywhere?

I'm pretty sure you cannot install it without the MS store. It would be like trying to install a steam game without having steam installed on the computer.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've tried a few, find that DP isn't as tough/reliable as hdmi.

I'm pretty sure you cannot install it without the MS store. It would be like trying to install a steam game without having steam installed on the computer.

I know but I ran a piece of code to get rid of all the crap that appears When selecting a program to run.

Now I want to install it so i can buy it and play it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I know but I ran a piece of code to get rid of all the crap that appears When selecting a program to run.

Now I want to install it so i can buy it and play it.

You tried this?

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-store-and-other-preinstalled-apps-in-windows-10/

Mickeroo wrote: »

I have not I shall have a look at it and see how i get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Last research I read, the size or resolution of the screen matters not for children's eyes.
    What causes bad eyesight is lack of sunlight.
    So just throw the lad outside for a few hours a day.
    (source)

What causes bad eyesight is mostly genetics, but you are correct that recent studies seem to suggest that increased exposure to sunlight can mitigate the likelihood of a refractive error to develop. Of course there's also loads of evidence suggesting that the main cause of adult onset myopa is large amounts of near work, but this is basically impossible to avoid due to the fact that children need to read for school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Last research I read, the size or resolution of the screen matters not for children's eyes. What causes bad eyesight is lack of sunlight. So just throw the lad outside for a few hours a day.

Christ he's in trouble so, glued to his bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bazzo wrote: »
    What causes bad eyesight is mostly genetics, but you are correct that recent studies seem to suggest that increased exposure to sunlight can mitigate the likelihood of a refractive error to develop. Of course there's also loads of evidence suggesting that the main cause of adult onset myopa is large amounts of near work, but this is basically impossible to avoid due to the fact that children need to read for school etc.

It can't just be genetics though.
    Myopia in Asian countries has increased within a generation, from 20-30% to a staggering 96% (Seoul!) in young adults (under-20s).
    It's also confined to urban areas; countryside myopia is much lower.

[article]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It can't just be genetics though.
    Myopia in Asian countries has increased within a generation, from 20-30% to a staggering 96% (Seoul!) in young adults (under-20s).
    It's also confined to urban areas; countryside myopia is much lower.

[article]

Interesting read but the article is littered with a good few inaccuracies and seems to be based mainly around the opinions of one particular Ophthalmologist. There are reams and reams of studies out and ongoing around this particular subject right now and as I said, yes it's thought that UV exposure does play a role in reducing the likelihood to for a refractive error to develop and also additionally that near work(or more specifically exercising accommodation for extended periods of time) may be a big culprit in adult onset myopia(which usually begins in the teens and stabilises by the mid 20s).

Anyway that's a bit OT even for the OT thread :)

i5 8400 is a seriously bad CPU. Base clock of 2.8GHz and will probably never reach 3.2GHz all core frequency. Especially when the cheap mainstream motherboards are released next year. Yes Intel sent out cherry picked chips out to reviewers while testing in reviews were done in high end Z370 motherboards. Intel coning everyone.

I may have just watched AdoredTV's latest video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Six cores and Intel's superior IPC means it sits at the very top of the gaming charts and contends favorably with the Ryzen 1600 in multi-thread apps. Why do you think it's a bad CPU? :confused:

Seems a winner to me. The Coffee Lake i3's and i5's seriously put the hurt on Ryzen. Should have been done a long time ago, shows how Intel have held back, but to try and imply that they're terrible CPU's is a bit ridiculous.

Of course CPU's are always tested in higher end motherboards. It's the same for all processors, be they Intel or AMD. Why it suddenly equates to 'Intel conning everyone' is a mystery to me.

People around here seem to be going far too much out of their way since Ryzen was released to find reasons why Intel are bad/evil/should be avoided.

Coffee Lake is a stellar line up of CPUs. Same price range as Ryzen equivalents and generally superior, certainly so for gamers. As a gamer I would most definitely take an i5-8400 over a Ryzen 1600 now.

• Advertisement

Six cores and Intel's superior IPC means it sits at the very top of the gaming charts and contends favorably with the Ryzen 1600 in multi-thread apps. Why do you think it's a bad CPU? :confused:

Seems a winner to me. The Coffee Lake i3's and i5's seriously put the hurt on Ryzen. Should have been done a long time ago, shows how Intel have held back, but to try and imply that they're terrible CPU's is a bit ridiculous.

Of course CPU's are always tested in higher end motherboards. It's the same for all processors, be they Intel or AMD. Why it suddenly equates to 'Intel conning everyone' is a mystery to me.

People around here seem to be going far too much out of their way since Ryzen was released to find reasons why Intel are bad/evil/should be avoided.

Coffee Lake is a stellar line up of CPUs. Same price range as Ryzen equivalents and generally superior, certainly so for gamers. As a gamer I would most definitely take an i5-8400 over a Ryzen 1600 now.

And when AMD counter the new coffee lake? :D

And when AMD counter the new coffee lake? :D

But that's somewhat irrelevant - it still doesn't make any Coffee Lake CPU a 'terrible' CPU in the current market!

Why it suddenly equates to 'Intel conning everyone' is a mystery to me.

3 Basic points:

Its not out yet so its a perfect example of a paper launch.
    Its estimated that the actual release with stock won't be till some time in Q1 2018.
    Q1 2018 is the estimated release period for Zen2.....
    Multicore enhancement was enabled on a bunch of "reviews"
    Which means they tested a overclocked Intel proc against a stock competitor
    Professional reviewers can't "not" be aware of this.
    They are not the underdog and the above just adds to a history of anti-competitive practises.

I don't dispute the paper launch aspect of it and the prospect that it may become somewhat irrelevant again when Ryzen 2 hits...both totally valid points, but the previous poster was referring to it being a terrible CPU because it 'only' has a base clock of 2.8Ghz and the fact that testing being done on Z370 platform is some sort of a con....all reviews use high-end motherboards no matter what CPU is being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I don't dispute the paper launch aspect of it and the prospect that it may become somewhat irrelevant again when Ryzen 2 hits...both totally valid points, but the previous poster was referring to it being a terrible CPU because it 'only' has a base clock of 2.8Ghz and the fact that testing being done on Z370 platform is some sort of a con....all reviews use high-end motherboards no matter what CPU is being tested.

Z370 is all that is available until next year, I wonder where the value for money argument is versus ryzen equivalents for the CPU and motherboard cost, given you have the option of cheaper chipsets with ryzen

But that's somewhat irrelevant - it still doesn't make any Coffee Lake CPU a 'terrible' CPU in the current market!

Thats a fair point how ever, speaking with a lot of my, fellow gamers who have a 7700k. A lot of them have expressed the same opinion that intel have pissed in their corn flakes. Because not only have people spent money on cpus but also motherboards.

Now intel are marketing a new cpu, that will require a new motherboard, there for the expense on consumers is harder.

And understandably so, id be pissed of if amd released a new cpu that requires a new motherboard in fact id be very upset. Regardless of brand loyalty.

With amd my crosshair will be ok to use for the next 3and a half years with any upgradeable ryzen cpu. I think at this stage a lot gamers are begining to feel like intel are taking advantage of them and not future proofing there boards.

If you see in small print under that post of mine. I was referring to AdoredTV's newest video. If you have the time give it a watch.

Yes the i7 8700K has good gaming performance but the i5 8400 is no good and he explains it in his video. the coning reference was his words in the video and I was just using it for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's a good change but as usual intel fall short of the mark. i3 and i5 should have hyper threading and i7 should be an 8 core part. This new roadmap looks like it's going to be their thing for the next 10 years of milking and in that regard it falls well short of the mark.

You can be sure these changes which I among others have been calling for on here for years have only been made because of Ryzen as well. Intel don't innovate unless pushed to do so.

Service will resume now back to 5-10% incremental upgrades every 2 years which require a new board.

Despite all that I would love an 8700k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tiny Tom Logan from OC3D, hinted pretty heavily that Intel's 8core z390 chipset will hit early next year. Will be interesting to see how it fairs against Ryzen 2.

• Advertisement

the 7700k is still better for pure gaming isnt it? strange considering both clock around the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement