Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

the 7700k is still better for pure gaming isnt it? strange considering both clock around the same.

If your aiming for 240hz 1080p gaming and willing to OC it to 5+ghz, sure. Because at really high frame rates IPC is king and the frame is dependant on the main scheduling thread completing within nanoseconds. If you have a 60hz 1080p screen with a 7700k and a 1080ti, your not getting the best. Your just wasting money.

But at 1440p that improvement is within a few percent and at 4k you can't tell the difference in most titles. That's why you don't see CPU reviews put emphasis on anything outside of 1080p, its pointless. Check out the 4k gaming in Arstechnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tried that it didnt work :(

If that didn't work I'd say your last option is to re-install windows. I don't know why you deleted it in the first place tbh. My PC is never slow and I have all original programs still installed.

If that didn't work I'd say your last option is to re-install windows. I don't know why you deleted it in the first place tbh. My PC is never slow and I have all original programs still installed.

I don't like the adverts candy crush crap on my computer I want it to be add free. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Can't say I've ever seen those ads on my pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've never seen adverts either but I didn't like that they were installed with windows in the first place. I unistalled them all but curiously Minecraft re installed itself. Sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There's a setting you can turn off under Settings -> Personalisation -> Start. "Occasionally show suggestions on Start"

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Headshot wrote: »

The price seems very fair considering you have a drive in it and you upgraded the RAM from the standard 4GB.

I have the same model microserver and am in the exact same boat as you from reading the advert.
    I had huge plans but never got around to them and the unit is just sting on my worktop getting 0 use. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it's a very fair price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Your issue is there may not be a huge demand for small file servers

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Your issue is there may not be a huge demand for small file servers

I had plans to use it as a ESXI server and have one VM as kodi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I had plans to use it as a ESXI server and have one VM as kodi etc

Maybe update the ad with some if things it could be put to use. I'd guess a lot of people who were interested in these grabbed them from the bargain alert thread.

The market for these is small, as I would say most wouldn't have a use for it. I can't imagine many are running TV servers etc. You need enough people in the house to use a server!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lukie1234

Hey guys looking for a new monitor, upgrading from a 1080p TN panel and hoping for best bang for buck. I am trying to remember if 1440p ips screens go on big sale during black friday because if they do I will wait. Im pretty sure I want 1440p instead of 120/144hz and if IPS could be slapped on that would be great. I would then hope for the best with Overclocking the monitor for a higher refresh rate. The ones I am looking at are:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QNIX-QHD2410R-MULTI-IPTV-24-2560-x-1440-60Hz-QHD-SAMSUNG-PLS-16-9/222352709260?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

-I know its a Korean panel and the risk of dead pixels so thats obviously playing on my mind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QLL01BA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZP7FHYN3TFZG&coliid=IWM2TYXMY3J9E&psc=1

- Something like this looks good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U2ZZX5A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZP7FHYN3TFZG&coliid=I34QTOZL42T9XM

- Or this which is prob the better of the two amazon deals.

Any thoughts on the matter?

@Headshot your location as well would make it harder for you to sell also.

@Headshot your location as well would make it harder for you to sell also.

I cant actually change my location lol but I suppose I can mention im willing to meet half way etc

I cant actually change my location lol but I suppose I can mention im willing to meet half way etc

It would alright be a good idea to add that bit of information into the ad.

Dublin and surrounding counties would be the easiest place to sell item in the country due to the larger population and also the short distance to get to someone. Like if I was living in Dublin city centre I could even sell an item to someone in Kildare as it is only a short distance to kildare from Dublin.

Like I live in Mayo close to the Galway border and if I was to sell an item to someone in Mayo(the other side of the county) it is a good 45 mins drive to get to them maybe even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

IPS is over rated. VA and PLS have superior picture quality.

I'd keep on eye on adverts for a 27" Qnix 2710. I got the overclockable one for €200. One of the best bargains I have picked up there.

They need some work to get the most out of them. Overclock the refresh to 110Hz, then fix the colour with colour sustainer. Last problem is the bleed caused by the poor housing which I haven't bothered with as it's only noticeable on solid dark backgrounds.

An amazing monitor for the money though. The picture is far superior to my IPS monitor.

BloodBath wrote: »
    IPS is over rated. VA and PLS have superior picture quality.

I'd keep on eye on adverts for a 27" Qnix 2710. I got the overclockable one for €200. One of the best bargains I have picked up there.

They need some work to get the most out of them. Overclock the refresh to 110Hz, then fix the colour with colour sustainer. Last problem is the bleed caused by the poor housing which I haven't bothered with as it's only noticeable on solid dark backgrounds.

An amazing monitor for the money though. The picture is far superior to my IPS monitor.

I would pounce on a Qnix for 200 on adverts. Is there any regular posters that normally have them or just random listers? Yeah I don't mind about IPS its more I would like an improvement on my TN panel that only seems to allow viewing angles of straight on. Could you give me the model number of your Qnix just for reference of a model that someone is happy with?

It was one of the original 2710's. Not sure if it has a model number outside of that.

QX2710LED is whats on it. It's the display port only model which is what you want for overclocking it. Mine will do 110Hz with 0 artifacts. A better cable might bring that up to 120Hz.

It's also the matte version. The matte coating on the panel is barely noticeable but does a good job at stopping glare while maintaining vibrant colours unlike some monitors that go overboard. I wouldn't get the glossy 1. Too much glare.

It's a PLS panel as well. I think the newer ones are AH-VA.

• Advertisement

I will pray for one to pop up so. You got a serious deal with that monitor, just looking up there its going for 400-500 dollars.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bought one about 3 years ago,sits at 100Hz. Was €350(incl import duty) at the time. Feel like it was a good buy.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Bought one about 3 years ago,sits at 100Hz. Was €350(incl import duty) at the time. Feel like it was a good buy.

One what? The same one bloodbath bought? If not could you link me the model type?

lukie1234 wrote: »
    I will pray for one to pop up so. You got a serious deal with that monitor, just looking up there its going for 400-500 dollars.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

That seems kind of crazy. I don't think they are worth much more than €200 these days. You can get new 27" 144Hz with freeSync models for that kind of money.

I do love the picture quality of this PLS though but it's not without it's faults. I think it has 6 or 8ms response and it has a strobing backlight which isn't great for the eyes. Also DVI-D only when newer high end cards often don't have a DVI connection. You can use a converter I guess.

It's still a massive upgrade over a 1080/60 monitor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Picked up a QX2710 about 4 years ago for around 300ish, great monitor. Still going strong as my second monitor, managed to oc it to 120Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

lukie1234 wrote: »
    One what? The same one bloodbath bought? If not could you link me the model type?

Ye sorry its a QX2710.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Do I go 60hz 1440p or 144hz 1080p ??

Or try save and get 144hz 1440p.

Has to be Freesync.

Any suggestions welcome , don't really want to spend a small fortune,

Blitz17 wrote: »

Has to be Freesync.

I'd aim for 144Hz 1440p tbh. I have a Freesync one myself. It's just that it is pointless going 1080p coming into 2018. It is the sweet spot atm.

I will eventually get a 4K monitor but that will be further into the future once Freesync 2 is out fully(I know you can get Samsung monitors with it now) and AMD release their next GPU when ever that will be maybe early 2019.

Blitz17 wrote: »

Has to be Freesync.

What graphics card do you have?

This looks good value for 1080p.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-g2460pf-24-1920x1080-tn-freesync-144hz-1ms-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-030-ao.html

Ot this for 1440p. Only 24" though.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Monitors+%26+TVs/24+inch/24%22+AOC+AGON+AG241QX+1ms+144Hz+Gaming+Monitor?productId=67804&utm_source=uk.pcpartpicker.com&utm_medium=referral

• Advertisement

I have a Corsair k65 mech keyboard and I've got a return for Corsair, turns out their address for returns in the UK is Scan, Does anyone ever have experience with them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement