Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

165hz. Usually get about 80fps on average with AAA stuff. Card starting to get loud now so i'm guessing it's having to work harder at 1440p.

Remember the heating is probably on more this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's probably starved for cool air.
    I've been thinking of adding a sidepanel fan (or 2) to my case.

But yeah, if you need more performance might as well go for an upgrade while the 1070 resale price is high.
    *however, 1070 Ti launch is expected in 2 days.

I think he has a phantex evolv tg if so those cases run hot you need to have a strong fan setup to keep the cooling correct. Ive 3 in 2 out I never have any problems with my case.

But his gpu cooler is also the asus white ones which are known for being noisey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

My case is a Meshify C. I don't think i can get many cooler than that. I have 2 x Phanteks 140mm fans as intake and 1 x 120mm exhaust and a 1 x 240mm AIO.

I think he has a phantex evolv tg if so those cases run hot you need to have a strong fan setup to keep the cooling correct. Ive 3 in 2 out I never have any problems with my case.

But his gpu cooler is also the asus white ones which are known for being noisey.

I got rid of the Evolv. The card wasn't loud when i had a 1080p monitor so guess it is when powering a 1440p display.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Its a decent jump to 1440p from 1080p in fairness.

Ive a 1440p/100Hz monitor and a 1080,while my cpu (i5 3570k @ 4.3Ghz) feels like its bottlenecking the 1080 on occasion im usually able to hit 70-100Hz in most titles with a decent amount of settings turned up.

Cant see a 1080 hitting 1440p/165Hz regularly but in general i think its a good card for 1440p.

Personally not sure id go from a 1070 to a 1080 unless the cost was minimal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's only about €100 between the cards, pretty good tbh.

I'll see what happens with the 1070ti reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

So my PC hasn't been turned on in over 2 years. Do I need to replace or do anything before I attempt to turn it on?

Hopefully it doesnt blow up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gents, I'm just waiting for 2 more components to arrive. I've just realised that the fact that my room is carpeted might pose an issue. Would this be right? I don't have access to anywhere else for the building.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Just wear rubber soles. Don't do it in your socks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll see what happens with the 1070ti reviews.

I reckon you're better off watinig for the next iteration. If you upgrade now go whole hog and get a TI.
    Gents, I'm just waiting for 2 more components to arrive. I've just realised that the fact that my room is carpeted might pose an issue. Would this be right? I don't have access to anywhere else for the building.

How you mean? For static when you're assembling? As long as you have a table or something to work on I wouldn't worry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How you mean? For static when you're assembling? As long as you have a table or something to work on I wouldn't worry.

I've a wooden table in my room. I just don't want to fry my components.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You can pick up an anti static wrist band if you're really worried about it. Cheap as chips.

You can pick up an anti static wrist band if you're really worried about it. Cheap as chips.

If you were to go without one, how would you ground yourself?

H. H. Asquith

Just keep touching the side of the metal pc case every few minutes. That should be more than enough.

Just keep touching the side of the metal pc case every few minutes. That should be more than enough.

Just prop it on the table and touch it? That's it? Cheers. I know I'm overthinking this but I'm expecting there to be some sort of problem as I've never done this before.

H. H. Asquith

As you build on the table just touch any metal part of it. At the back around the IO shield is perfect. I only built my first gaming PC in April. It's a piece of cake. Just take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Worth pointing out that if you are relying on metal parts to ground you, you will need the mains cable plugged in to earth the PSU. Just switch off the power at the socket, this disconnects the live, does not affect the neutral or earth.

As you build on the table just touch any metal part of it. At the back around the IO shield is perfect. I only built my first gaming PC in April. It's a piece of cake. Just take your time.

Cheers. I'll be happier when this is all done and working.
    glynf wrote: »
    Worth pointing out that if you are relying on metal parts to ground you, you will need the mains cable plugged in to earth the PSU. Just switch off the power at the socket, this disconnects the live, does not affect the neutral or earth.

Ah right. Just install the PSU first then, plug it into a socket switched off and touch the case every minute or so?

H. H. Asquith

I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh; AFAIK the humidity in Ireland means we have greatly reduced static electricy issues.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah don't worry too much about it, my cat got near mine and it still worked fine I also took no mahor precautions other than not doing it in a room with carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Dont wear your tinfoil suit and you will be grand.
    Touch the radiator or other metal object every so often and dont stress too much about it. You will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If you're reeeeeaalllly that stressed about it you can get an anti static wristband but it's really not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Ah right. Just install the PSU first then, plug it into a socket switched off and touch the case every minute or so?

That's all, no need to be too worried about it, as long as you don't have one hand on a Van de Graaff generator you'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I like to rub the cat off my face before building. For good luck mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a wooden table in my room. I just don't want to fry my components.

Just keep touching the radiator every few seconds, that is if you have a standard radiator and not a storage heater or panel heater. The radiator will definitely be grounded the other two should be as well but they are not solid metal like a rad.

edit: I just read the rest of the thread and realized other said pretty much what I said...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nolars wrote: »
    So my PC hasn't been turned on in over 2 years. Do I need to replace or do anything before I attempt to turn it on?

Hopefully it doesnt blow up

Nah it'll be sound

Have you my 280X or do I have your 290?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Have you my 280X or do I have your 290?

Nah it'll be sound

Can't remember I don't have a gpu anyhow :)

So GTX 1070 Ti is now 100% official.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So GTX 1070 Ti is now 100% official.

$450 presumably.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement