Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So GTX 1070 Ti is now 100% official.

From £419.99 to £499.99

I don't see the point in this card tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Blitz17 wrote: »
    From £419.99 to £499.99

I don't see the point in this card tbh.

A price-gouging move, since Nvidia already lowered the official RRP of the 1070.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it's more just to phase out AMD's lacklustre VEGA launch out at every possible price point.

A card that sits in between a GTX1070 and GTX1080, despite there not exactly being much between both cards.

So basically 3rd party GTX1070Ti's will be the same speed -/+ 1 or 2% as reference GTX1080's.

OCUK do have a few models for £419 which is OK..ish considering the cheapest GTX1080 is now £470 or so. Sharp increase on the cheapest GTX1070's at £349.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RAM is too f'ckin expensive. Somebody tell Elon Musk to enter the industry yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Have a 16gb ddr4 kit sitting doing nothing thinking of selling it now. Unopened what ya think I'd get for it ? Think the speed is 2666

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Nolars wrote: »
    Have a 16gb ddr4 kit sitting doing nothing thinking of selling it now. Unopened what ya think I'd get for it ? Think the speed is 2666

Price it really high as i'm gonna put my 16gb kit of 2400mhz up for sale over the weekend :p

I'm swapping it out for a 3866mhz kit on an accepted offer I have of 150e on adverts :D

I'd be interested to see what price people think your kit is worth so I can price mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone got any recommendations of places you can see physical monitors in a store? Finding it hard to visualise how big a monitor I need/want

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

RedXIV wrote: »
    Anyone got any recommendations of places you can see physical monitors in a store? Finding it hard to visualise how big a monitor I need/want

Very few places have such a service in Ireland and if they do it is a very small selection. Curry/PC World do have some.

What resolution monitor do you want? 1080p 24" is the sweet spot. 1440p 27" is the sweet spot. 32" is a decent size for a 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

ED E wrote: »
    RAM is too f'ckin expensive. Somebody tell Elon Musk to enter the industry yeah?

Yup. 32GB ECC DDR4 cost me £300.

W.jpg T.jpg F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Very few places have such a service in Ireland and if they do it is a very small selection. Curry/PC World do have some.

What resolution monitor do you want? 1080p 24" is the sweet spot. 1440p 27" is the sweet spot. 32" is a decent size for a 4K.

More about trying to get an idea of how big each of those screens are. Spent about 4 hours yesterday looking at monitors and trying to decide between a single widescreen or dual monitor set up. Hoping seeing some physically may help.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yup. 32GB ECC DDR4 cost me £300.

W.jpg T.jpg F.jpg

Need another 8GB for the NAS. £100. Foooooooooook that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

More about trying to get an idea of how big each of those screens are. Spent about 4 hours yesterday looking at monitors and trying to decide between a single widescreen or dual monitor set up. Hoping seeing some physically may help.

Just use a measuring tape on your desk. ;)

The worst part is, everyone knows the RAM cartel are price-fixing, but seemingly no one can do anything about it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's crazy. I got 16gb ddr 4 for £75, the exact same kit costs £170 now!

Can only imagine what the scientific community feel like right now. 512GB Geo processing servers etc will be close to double the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just go ultrawide
    Simples! ;)

I put a side fan over my GPU (80mm) and the temp drop was only 2C.

Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I put a side fan over my GPU (80mm) and the temp drop was only 2C.

Not worth it.

Do you run a dual GPU config? The only time I've seen gpu direct airflow or intake make a difference is where the gpu struggles to get cool air.

Do you run a dual GPU config? The only time I've seen gpu direct airflow or intake make a difference is where the gpu struggles to get cool air.

Nope, a 2.5 slot dual-fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sigh they really made a balls of Wolfenstein 2 on the PC. Imagine you cannot change the default res without the game crashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Dammit,cracked the screen on my nvidia shield tab:(

Its been a great little device,from game streaming to android apps and the general quality of the 1080p screen its something ive found hard to live without at this stage

Damn why didn't I check the prices of Vega when I was in America. I could have picked up a Vega 56 for €385

I was checking the prices all the time up until a week before I flew over but decided to check the prices just now. But tbh the reason i stopped checking was I decided against getting a Vega and keeping my Fury X and buying a Xbox One X.

What has me a bit gutted is that is a really cheap price for a 56 considering how expensive they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Damn why didn't I check the prices of Vega when I was in America. I could have picked up a Vega 56 for €385

I was checking the prices all the time up until a week before I flew over but decided to check the prices just now. But tbh the reason i stopped checking was I decided against getting a Vega and keeping my Fury X and buying a Xbox One X.

What has me a bit gutted is that is a really cheap price for a 56 considering how expensive they were.

If you have friends or family there, they could pick one up for you? IIRC the customs rate on something less than €700 is 3% on a gift..

glynf wrote: »
    If you have friends or family there, they could pick one up for you? IIRC the customs rate on something less than €700 is 3% on a gift..

If posted the gift cap is €21. You'd be hit for the full whack + handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Where did you see that price?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Where did you see that price?

Newegg. $446.99 and using xe.com http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=446.99&From=USD&To=EUR

It is €385 after conversion add a few dollars for shipping.

That's a b-grade Vega though, not a brand new card....

If you work out the normal retail card it's still over €400, and you can get the Vega 56 with free Wolfenstein 2 and Prey for something like €480 from OCUK at the moment....so I don't think there'd really be any point at all.

That's a b-grade Vega though, not a brand new card....

Oh yea. I never spotted that.

Group test of cheap X370 (Intel Coffee Lake) motherboards by der8auer

MSI & Asrock taking top honours.

• Advertisement

Oh yea. I never spotted that.

Price drop today on OCUK - Vega 56 is now about €460 delivered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement