Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

twinsen wrote: »
    1080ti would not do the job at 3440x1440 at ultra. Maybe some games like bf1, and some older stuff. But games like deus ex, ghost recon will make 1080ti sweat even at 1080p.
    And trust me , I know , I have 1080ti

Medium/high is still very acceptable anyways, and would definitely run fine at 3440x1440 on a 1080 Ti. DX:MD and Ghost Recon: Wildlands aren't exactly the most well-optimised games out there.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GTX 1060 = GTX 980

Nothing wrong with medium/high

Ultra is for dumbnuts

Totally agreed. Which brings me to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

BloodBath wrote: »
    Pubg is well optimised. Maybe you haven't played it in a while. I get 60-90 fps with a 970 at 1920x1080 upscaled to 2560x1440. Lowered settings granted but I'm just trying to push as many frames as I can.

Yeah pubg runs great for me, generally get 70-110 fps. I see a lot of people complaining that it runs terribly on their monster systems though, I'm guessing that something else is causing them issues or they have very high standards as to how the game should perform

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Squaredude wrote: »
    Yeah pubg runs great for me, generally get 70-110 fps. I see a lot of people complaining that it runs terribly on their monster systems though, I'm guessing that something else is causing them issues or they have very high standards as to how the game should perform

In fairness lads, I havent played it ages. No time to sit down to my pc in nerd cave. I have pretty much permanently set up g29 there for some Forza 7 now and then.
    I only have time to play on switch, god bless those bastards in Nintendo.

What would you say about the Star Wars-themed Titan Xp Collector's Editions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I can't afford them both :pac:

The design is its appeal, but since I'm more for utilitarian design than expensive custom designs, the 1080 Ti is the better choice to me.
    It also appeals to Star Wars fans, but I'm not one of them anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Does anyone here use a RAID controller? Looking to set up hardware based RAID 1 on a Win 7 pro machine, it was configured using the motherboard as the RAID controller, which has since had all settings defaulted at some stage so now its only writing to one drive.

I don't want to risk it happening again so don't want to rely on windows either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I use a PERC in my server, and I've used them quite a bit at work. They're generally reasonably reliable. Most of the problems come from outside stuff - power outages, users pulling drives, etc. - and you can get them pretty cheap on eBay.

If you're just using RAID1 though, why not set it up on the motherboard, through the BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

glynf wrote: »
    Does anyone here use a RAID controller? Looking to set up hardware based RAID 1 on a Win 7 pro machine, it was configured using the motherboard as the RAID controller, which has since had all settings defaulted at some stage so now its only writing to one drive.

I don't want to risk it happening again so don't want to rely on windows either.

Do the drives support low TLER? If not an error can cause the RAID controller to intentionally drop one disk.

• Advertisement

Cheers Serephucus, will check out PERC. That was how it was configured originally, but for some reason the BIOS has reset and the RAID settings disabled/lost-could be dodgy BIOS or battery, not sure tbh. It runs an application server & SQL database for VMS and video wall machines as well as some ANPR data, and I don't want to risk it again.

ED E wrote: »
    Do the drives support low TLER? If not an error can cause the RAID controller to intentionally drop one disk.

Not sure, will check but as far as I can see they're bog standard SATA drives.

I'd personally look for a software-defined storage solution. At least if hardware fails there, you're just replacing generic stuff, and not having to worry about one piece of hardware completely ruining your data.

ZFS comes to mind.

Yo, yo, Serephucus. Know ya like to be close to the monitor....

Just watching that video right now. Would love somethin' like that. I wonder how much it costs.

Just watching that video right now. Would love somethin' like that. I wonder how much it costs.

£1200 on amazon. Shame it's1080p vertically. Would be amazing if it was 1440p and 100hz or greater. Though that would be over 7 million pixels to drive-doubt any current gpu on the market would manage that. Also I would be much poorer...

I meant the base, you know, the thing that holds the chair and the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's cool and all but I wouldn't be able to stand a monitor that close even 3 or 4 inches further back would be better.

That's actually not nearly close enough for office stuff. :P

Still, cockpit is pretty interesting. Gimme a motorized one for Elite Dangerous and I'm sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If anyone has a Logitech G403 and has intermittent scrolling issues, Logitech just issued a firmware update that fixes it!

tK5a3pt.jpg

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/g403-prodigy-wireless-gaming-mouse/downloads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Seen the monitor today in a shop, looks impressive other than the awful resolution. When I seen I was about too buy it until I asked the rep the specs.

5120x1440 (double 1440p) would have been a nicer resolution, whilst still requiring less horsepower than what a 4K display demands.

I may have done a thing...

Dr5WSg5h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nice. I would get one but the most I do with my PC is game so it would go to waste.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I may have done a thing...

Dr5WSg5h.jpg

Looking really damn good there. All I'd logically need is a Ryzen 5 1600.
    What will you be using your Threadripper PC for?

That looks like a mini ITX board.... This your new server?

The hell ITX boards have you seen with Threadripper sockets and four DIMM slots? :P

It is, yeah. And I'm never buying a non-server board again. Lack of remote management is just too big of a pain, especially with all the BIOS tweaking I need to do for unRAID.

I actually first put it together about two weeks ago, but it took me this long to figure out that although Limetech strongly recommends the 6.4 beta for Ryzen, it breaks something so my HBAs aren't detected, so back on 6.3.5 for now.

Remember I have 16 DIMM slots so anything like that seems tiny :pac:

IPMI is god. Cept when they use crappy old certs.

ED E wrote: »
    Remember I have 16 DIMM slots so anything like that seems tiny :pac:

IPMI is god. Cept when they use crappy old certs.

Two things I hate: High RAM prices, and Java.

• Advertisement

I know, RAM prices have hiked considerably from last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement