Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads question

How much would I get for this?

ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_FORMULA/

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R Vengeance 16GB
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007QY87MG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Intel Core i7-4790K

Everything boxed and in great condition

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Has anyone ever had an issue where their screen has went completely green and staticy?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Happened me before, was usually a loose cable. Or dodgy cable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Korvanica wrote: »
    Happened me before, was usually a loose cable. Or dodgy cable.

Could be. I checked. Was hoping the thing would last at least a year or two.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Right, I haven't opened up the case, but from the sounds of it I think a bearing (or whatever the equivalent) went in a case fan. I'll probably do a strip down and clean it out at the weekend and check the rest as well, as it has been getting a bit louder over the last few months.

Just wondering if I'm replacing fans what should I go for? I have 3 intakes (2x front, 1 x bottom) and one exhaust (back). No over clocking, so they don't need to go like the clappers, but also doesn't need to be absolutely silent either, as the GPU will be louder if running. All 120mm fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Right, I haven't opened up the case, but from the sounds of it I think a bearing (or whatever the equivalent) went in a case fan. I'll probably do a strip down and clean it out at the weekend and check the rest as well, as it has been getting a bit louder over the last few months.

Just wondering if I'm replacing fans what should I go for? I have 3 intakes (2x front, 1 x bottom) and one exhaust (back). No over clocking, so they don't need to go like the clappers, but also doesn't need to be absolutely silent either, as the GPU will be louder if running. All 120mm fans

Noctua > all

I have 2x Noctua Redux NF-S12B PWM in the front and they stay nice & quiet.

Arctic & Be Quiet are meant to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Noctua > all

I have 2x Noctua Redux NF-S12B PWM in the front and they stay nice & quiet.

Arctic & Be Quiet are meant to be good too.

Cheers, I'll Se how they ate when I open it up. I'm pretty sure it was the bottom fan that went, I don't think they like being horizontal.

It tends to run pretty cool anyways, so if the others are fine I might just remove it and leave it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm considering a microphone upgrade. This is my current one I was thinking something that stands on or clips to my desk, possibly one of the ones ryou see radio hosts use with the filter. Anyone got any recommendation on that front?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the use case? Podcasting and say playing BF with the lads are quite different.

ED E wrote: »
    Whats the use case? Podcasting and say playing BF with the lads are quite different.

I use VOIP when possible during group studying & gaming. I also casually stream and occasionally make videos with narration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Curious to know what resolution most of yiz game at. All happy to stick to Full HD or definitely going to upgrade to 1440p or 4K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Curious to know what resolution most of yiz game at. All happy to stick to Full HD or definitely going to upgrade to 1440p or 4K?

I went from 1440p 144hz to 4k 60hz and I wouldn't do it again. Not because of the lower refresh rate, but more that on a standard monitor it just doesn't add a huge amount and the 1080ti was a huge outlay.

I do enjoy playing single player games at 4k on my TV where the visual quality really shines, so the 1080Ti wasn't a waste though either.

But for a montior, I'd prefer 1440p 144hz again. But I'll stick with what I have now for the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

1080p currently but I'd like to upgrade to 1440p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

At 1440p 100Hz,no plans for that to change anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm at 1080p 60Hz right now, and I would like to upgrade, even just to a higher refresh rate. My ideal monitor would be 3440x1440 100Hz+, though.

1080p@120Hz (240Hz Turbo)

Not upgrading for a few years yet.

I'm at 1080p 60Hz right now, and I would like to upgrade, even just to a higher refresh rate. My ideal monitor would be 3440x1440 100Hz+, though.

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=11942_3440x1440%7E11963_100
    They exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm at 1440p 144Hz and I will eventually move to a 4k when there is high refresh rates and HDR and also when there are graphics cards on the market that can run such a monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'd only get 4K for gaming when 5120x2160 high-refresh-rate monitors arrive, which will be quite some time before they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll Se how they ate when I open it up. I'm pretty sure it was the bottom fan that went, I don't think they like being horizontal.

It tends to run pretty cool anyways, so if the others are fine I might just remove it and leave it like that.

Sleeve bearing fans don't like being horizontal. They are usually the crappiest cheapest fans you can get though.

1440p/110Hz. I couldn't go back to lower res or refresh rate. I would rate the higher refresh more important for gaming than the resolution, resolution more important than refresh for work related task but both together is a huge improvement over 1080/60 for everything.

Bring on 4k/144Hz though and cards with enough power to drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

1080p 144hz , (120hz Lightboost)

Not changing monitors for a while, updating GFX soon though

papu wrote: »
    1080p 144hz , (120hz Lightboost)

Same except 120Hz overall. And like most others who have already replied I don't have any desire for any new fancy monitors. If I'm ever going to make a big purchase for displays it'll be for AR/VR headset.

Any new monitors are just for extra screen real-estate. For example I spent €40 for a replacement for my broken vertical secondary. 1280x1024 (5:4) 75Hz

Does anyone here have any advice regarding anti-virus/anti-malware software? I was using Microsoft Security Essentials which seems to have evolved into Windows Defender.

H. H. Asquith

Been using Avast for years. Never had an issue apart from some fairly tame spyware which Malwarebytes should take care of.

I'd run Avast constantly with a monthly scan with Malwarebytes.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Been using Avast for years. Never had an issue apart from some fairly tame spyware which Malwarebytes should take care of.

I'd run Avast constantly with a monthly scan with Malwarebytes.

I'd heard that you're not meant to have more than one antivirus program and Windows comes with Defender built in.

H. H. Asquith

Those 2 don't clash like some do. You will only be opening malwarebytes for a monthly scan anyway.

Avast has web, mail and file protection on the free version. It will block dodgey web pages and opens files in quarantine until confirmed to be safe so they can't spread through the system if they are malicious.

Obviously none of this software is 100% reliable but it's been good for me. It's blocked plenty of potential threats before they ever got to be a problem that had to be removed.

Cheers B. Would either clash with Windows Defender? I don't mind ponying up for Malwarebytes as it seems fairly cheap. I think I'd have noticed if I'd picked up a virus by now.

H. H. Asquith

They are fine with windows defender. Defender will just show your anti virus as being Avast. You can still use it as normal.

Both Avast and Malwarebytes are free for the important stuff anyway. You can pay for more features if you want them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've never had any issues using Security Essentials. I've stopped bothering with AVG/Avast etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I use Avira, I bought the pro version but not sure I will renew it again. The free version is pretty good too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement