Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Curious to know what resolution most of yiz game at. All happy to stick to Full HD or definitely going to upgrade to 1440p or 4K?

Im at 1080p at the minute, was looking for a new monitor at 1440p but opted for a projector instead, I think you might have been the inspiration there actually. Gonna be dropping about €500-€750 in the next few weeks, looking at 1080p for now but haven't really checked the upper end of my budget.
    Does anyone here have any advice regarding anti-virus/anti-malware software? I was using Microsoft Security Essentials which seems to have evolved into Windows Defender.

Defender is probably all you need, I use it and a monthly Malwarebytes scan just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

One of the computers in my school has an i5-3470 and is hooked up to a 1280x1024 monitor :D. That's 2012 hardware hooked up to a 2005/06-ish monitor.

Plus, many of the monitors in my school aren't set to the maximum resolution, e.g. 1024x768 instead of 1366x768 and 1280x768 instead of 1920x1080.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One of the computers in my school has an i5-3470 and is hooked up to a 1280x1024 monitor :D. That's 2012 hardware hooked up to a 2005/06-ish monitor.

In my office we've 1080p monitors and my boss insists on 1024x768, she makes a fuss whenever I try to change to native resolution.

We share monitors so it's pretty painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Same in my job - in a supposedly high-end tech company.
    Brought in my own 2008 monitor - 22" 1080p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

They're not all bad. Tech company here as well. i5/16GB/250GB SSD machine, two 1080p monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I'm considering a microphone upgrade. This is my current one I was thinking something that stands on or clips to my desk, possibly one of the ones ryou see radio hosts use with the filter. Anyone got any recommendation on that front?

I've been using a Blue Yeti for quite a while and find it pretty good. Can be used with the stand it comes with or you can attach to your desk using a boom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Corsair Vengeance RAM 3000Mhz for £165 or 3200Mhz for £190, surely the 3000Mhz is the better buy here? It's to go with Ryzen 1700 and MSI X370 Gaming Carbon mobo, heard there's some issues getting full speed out of the RAM with Ryzen and that board anyway. Anyone any opinion on it?

Sure if the 3000MHz RAM is CAS 15, you can probably overclock it to the same 3200MHz CAS 16 as the £190 kit.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Any suggestions for a set of speakers? Other half is getting me some for christmas but not sure what to go for.

Nothing crazy expensive is needed, 100 euro tops. Would mostly use headphones anyway but would be nice to have for single player games or watching netflix etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a set of speakers? Other half is getting me some for christmas but not sure what to go for.

Nothing crazy expensive is needed, 100 euro tops. Would mostly use headphones anyway but would be nice to have for single player games or watching netflix etc.

Get real studio monitors.
    e.g. M-Audio AV32 / AV42

Or Logitech Z623 (THX-certified 2.1 system).

In my office we've 1080p monitors and my boss insists on 1024x768, she makes a fuss whenever I try to change to native resolution.

We share monitors so it's pretty painful.

Yesterday, during maths, I changed the monitor's resolution back to its native 1080p resolution (it was set to 1280x768).

Have you explained to your boss that it's 2017 and not 2002?

The laptops in my school are limited to 1366x768 and run sluggishly, despite having i5-5200U procs. Must be something to do with the bloatware on them and the paltry 4GB of RAM, which are Fujitsu Lifebook A Series laptops. I've been using them nearly every day now, since I do presentations as part of Transition Year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My damn monitor is flickering every few seconds during gameplay. It's absurd. I might see if a new HDMI cable will help.

Seems fine on the desktop...

Edit: Think this might be down to me finally figuring out how to adjust the monitor's refresh rate. Some games appear not to care for it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Do you guys think that NVIDIA should have released 2 versions of the GTX 1060?

My damn monitor is flickering every few seconds during gameplay. It's absurd. I might see if a new HDMI cable will help.

Seems fine on the desktop...

Edit: Think this might be down to me finally figuring out how to adjust the monitor's refresh rate. Some games appear not to care for it.

You should be using Displayport not HDMI.

They shouldn't have called both cards "1060" when one (3Gb version) is gimped.

1152 CUDA cores instead of 1280. I see why NVIDIA made such a move though, knowing the similar core counts.

The laptop versions both have the same 1280 cores, though. I don't see 3GB in a 1060 laptop that often, however.

Anyways, gaming laptops are pricey and can throttle, heat up, get loud, and suck battery. Desktops are more viable gaming solutions. I was originally going to get a gaming laptop in 2014, but due to a €1,000 budget constraint, I settled for a desktop, and I'm glad I did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You should be using Displayport not HDMI.

Is it better. Never heard of Displayport.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Squaredude wrote: »
    I've been using a Blue Yeti for quite a while and find it pretty good. Can be used with the stand it comes with or you can attach to your desk using a boom

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any samples of how your voice comes through on it? Like a video or something. Cheers.

Depends on the version but I believe it can carry more bandwidth than most HDMI you'll come into contact with. I use DisplayPort for my primary and DVI for secondary. Anytime I use HDMI lightboost resets, I have scaling issues and tearing is much more common. HDMI carries audio too which eats into its bandwidth which is why most people don't use it for very high res+Hz setups since they'll probably have an independent audio solution at that point anyway. The newest HDMI can usually push highest consumer res + Hz with audio, though.

My monitor refused to work at 1080p@120Hz on HDMI, no issues with a DisplayPort cable.
    They're the same price anyway (just make sure to buy the cable online!)

What monitor have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Should've made a GTX1060 3GB and a GTX1060Ti 6GB.
    Anyways, gaming laptops are pricey and can throttle, heat up, get loud, and suck battery. Desktops are more viable gaming solutions. I was originally going to get a gaming laptop in 2014, but due to a €1,000 budget constraint, I settled for a desktop, and I'm glad I did.

They've gotten a lot better in terms of value for money. I bought a new laptop the other day, it was €890 and has a GTX1050Ti....and came with a free copy of Ghost Recon Wildlands, Steel Series Mouse and some other bits and pieces :)

H. H. Asquith

Yea, You should be using DP instead of HDMI to take advantage of the higher refresh rate.

Yea, You should be using DP instead of HDMI to take advantage of the higher refresh rate.

So it's the HDMI causing the problem? Thank feck. I'll see if I can grab a DP cable at some point.

H. H. Asquith

Now, it may not be your cable that's causing the flickering but if your GPU and monitor have a DP you should use it instead of HDMI.

Thanks Graham. The issue with the flickering during gameplay only started when I upped the refresh rate. Only appeared on some games though. 

Will give that a look.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Should've made a GTX1060 3GB and a GTX1060Ti 6GB.

They've gotten a lot better in terms of value for money. I bought a new laptop the other day, it was €890 and has a GTX1050Ti....and came with a free copy of Ghost Recon Wildlands, Steel Series Mouse and some other bits and pieces :)

That would make quite some sense!

What CPU does the laptop have, how much RAM does it have, and how much storage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement