Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I have them. They're probably my most-used headphones at the moment.

They're bright, very bright. They can honestly get tiring to listen to if you're listening to stuff with lots of highs, but they're very crisp as well, which is something I like. Bass is surprisingly punchy too. The mids are there of course, but being so bright they can get overpowered a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I've just got bog-standard Panasonic headphones, nothing special.

How's the 7.1 surround sound on the Tiamat?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    I have them. They're probably my most-used headphones at the moment.

They're bright, very bright. They can honestly get tiring to listen to if you're listening to stuff with lots of highs, but they're very crisp as well, which is something I like. Bass is surprisingly punchy too. The mids are there of course, but being so bright they can get overpowered a bit.

Which version have you got?

Ive the 280ohm pros but honestly my 2.1 system at my feet gets 99.5% of the usage.

The 600Ω version. Premium, I think it is?

My 2.1 setup would normally get much more use, but since I've moved back home I've had to tone things down a bit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I've just got bog-standard Panasonic headphones, nothing special.

How's the 7.1 surround sound on the Tiamat?

It's not bad.Good for gaming not really great for much else. The ear cups are starting to fall apart and the control unit is a little seized up due to a coffee spill earlier in the year, so it's time for a replacement
    ED E wrote: »
    my 2.1 system at my feet gets 99.5% of the usage.
    I use my 2.1 quite a lot but prefer headphones/headset for gaming

• Advertisement

I'm not that familiar with surround sound at all.
    I visited someone's house last night, and I got a chance to experience surround sound for the first time in a while outside a cinema playing GTA V.
    This may be off-topic, but what level of surround sound is used in cinemas?

Beyerdynamic_DT%20990%20Pro%20250%20Ohm_Center_-_-_HDM-X_-_90_20-20k_-_fr_curve_level.png
    Beyerdynamic_DT%20990%20%20600%20ohm_Center_-_-_HDM1_-_90_20-20k_-_fr_curve_level.png

Pretty similar response.

I need to get a better hanger/cable setup to the Fiio so Im more likely to use them and the modmic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

If anyone happens to have a ST31000528AS they arent using I'd love to buy it off ya.

I have about 8-10 2TB 7.2k WD Blacks (WD2003FZEX) if you are interested, been meaning to put them on adverts for a while now. They're 3 years old but light usage as they were installed on failover NVRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I need a mic for chatting online, anyone have a nice cheap suggestion? I use AKG K7xx/DT990 for sound.

Was looking at modmic but seen mixed opinions about it.

glynf wrote: »
    I have about 8-10 2TB 7.2k WD Blacks (WD2003FZEX) if you are interested, been meaning to put them on adverts for a while now. They're 3 years old but light usage as they were installed on failover NVRs.

Thanks but its specifically that drive I need, want to steal the PCB for some amteur hour data recovery (Not all the family listened to my 3 2 1 preaching).

• Advertisement

Do you think 1366x768 is acceptable in 2017?

I find it to be restrictive, especially from a guy who is accustomed to 1920x1080. Screen real estate is limited, which makes researching and producing presentations at the same time more difficult on higher-res monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anbody ever have a CPU cooler fan go a bit eratic in a lenovo tower?

Bought a system off adverts for a friend
    i7 2600
    8gb ram
    750 ti

Board,cpu and cooler were taken from a Lenovo M91p Think Centre,no real issue with that but the CPU cooler fan keeps ramping up but ive yet to see it go over ~50C. It pretty much has the appearance of a stock intel heatsink. Its VERY loud in use and doesnt just happen under load. It looks to be missing a thermal sensor that plugs into a header on the board. Seemingly lenovo used this instead of one applied directly to the borad which is so cheap.

Ive to try clearing the CMOS and maybe check what i can do with 3rd party software but id rather find a permanent solution if i can as neither of them will work in the long run i think.

Contacted the seller but he doesnt seem keen to do anything about it. I told him id try the above before getting back to him.

Anybody else got suggestions i could try?

The attached is a pic of the missing thermal sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Do you think 1366x768 is acceptable in 2017?

Nope.

Thanks but its specifically that drive I need, want to steal the PCB for some amteur hour data recovery (Not all the family listened to my 3 2 1 preaching).

In the same vein: If anyone has a dead drive from an 8TB Easystore (WD80EMAZ), I could use the PCB...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anbody ever have a CPU cooler fan go a bit eratic in a lenovo tower?

Bought a system off adverts for a friend
    i7 2600
    8gb ram
    750 ti

Board,cpu and cooler were taken from a Lenovo M91p Think Centre,no real issue with that but the CPU cooler fan keeps ramping up but ive yet to see it go over ~50C. It pretty much has the appearance of a stock intel heatsink. Its VERY loud in use and doesnt just happen under load. It looks to be missing a thermal sensor that plugs into a header on the board. Seemingly lenovo used this instead of one applied directly to the borad which is so cheap.

Ive to try clearing the CMOS and maybe check what i can do with 3rd party software but id rather find a permanent solution if i can as neither of them will work in the long run i think.

Contacted the seller but he doesnt seem keen to do anything about it. I told him id try the above before getting back to him.

Anybody else got suggestions i could try?

The attached is a pic of the missing thermal sensor.

Tbh just pick up a aftermarket cooler you can get them for awful cheap and it would do a far better job at cooling than the current one and be more silent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Tbh just pick up a aftermarket cooler you can get them for awful cheap and it would do a far better job at cooling than the current one and be more silent as well.

The cooler is not the problem though,its that the fan is being ramped up for no reason. Just thought someone may have had a similar problem amd had an idea how to fix it

Nope.

100% agreed. It becomes irritating to use with workloads that require a lot of screen real estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Nope.

I'm still stuck with 720p :(

Alpha8 wrote: »
    I'm still stuck with 720p :(

Is that 1280x720 or 1366x768?

• Advertisement

Well my desktop is out of action the past few days and I have had to use my laptop and phone. How I miss my desktop, I do not know how anyone can use a phone and laptop full time.

I am waiting on a CPU as my backup bios only works with the first gen CPU on my system and if that doesn't work I will have to pickup a pre flashed bios and desolder the old one off and resolder the new one on. I'm not too bothered as I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron it's just as a last resort but I would prefer not to go down that route due to risks involved.

Well received the CPU to enable the backup bios to flash the main bios. So delighted to have my PC back. I also flashed the backup bios with the newer CPU code to enable my own CPU to work if I ever do a bad flash again.

It's so much better on the desktop than the laptop and phone and my back is delighted also. I have a bad back and using a phone for prolonged periods makes it act up.

Is that 1280x720 or 1366x768?

1280x720

Hmm... are you using a TV as a monitor?

Hmm... are you using a TV as a monitor?

Nope it's a dell

Interesting. 720p monitors seem to be very rare.

Interesting. 720p monitors seem to be very rare.

I thought it was a Tv as well with that resolution.

Why do you think 1366x768 is more commonly used in monitors than 1280x720?

Why do you think 1366x768 is more commonly used in monitors than 1280x720?

Laptops. The physical shape suits them better and thus those panels are manufactured in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Found a pair of 4770Ks on eBay for €210/220
    1 is Malay, 1 is Costa Rica.

Too good to be true?

* I could grab an OC board for another hundred, and sell my current CPU/mobo €200-odd I think.
    ** Turns out noone is shipping this board to Ireland: https://geizhals.eu/asrock-z87m-oc-formula-90-mxgq70-a0uayz-a954086.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu :(

• Advertisement

Do you mean 2 4770Ks for €210 or €220, or €210 or €220 for each 4770K?

Was looking at a C2D E8400 for €6 at CeX last Friday. I felt pretty intrigued to get one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement