Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

One at €210, the other for €220.

Would be moot if I can't get a micro-ATX overclocking board shipped here.

* Anyone have any experience with https://www.mailboxde.com/ or https://www.parcl.com/ ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm on LGA 1150, so the fastest CPU I could get without replacing my motherboard is the i7-4790K. But more likely than not, I'll be getting a Ryzen for my next PC.

I'm on LGA 1150, so the fastest CPU I could get without replacing my motherboard is the i7-4790K. But more likely than not, I'll be getting a Ryzen for my next PC.

I think I might have upgrade fever.
    Ah I'll just wait for Zen 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'll be getting a Ryzen for my next PC.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I think I might have upgrade fever.
    Ah I'll just wait for Zen 2.

I'm with you both. My next build will be a Ryzen. But I'm not sure if I will get the Zen+ 12nm due out early next year or wait for the 7nm Zen 2 in early 2019. The reason I may wait so long till 2019 is I bought a Xbox One X when they were released and I said to myself I will have to start playing more games on the Xbox as my original Xbox One got feck all play time and I also want to increase my gamerscore. Back on the 360 I had a fairly high gamerscore for the time and looking through my friends list and seeing all their gamerscore which by far exceeds mine considering I was higher than them back then.

But Gamerscore is literally useless :pac:

Just play games to enjoy/finish them.

• Advertisement

But Gamerscore is literally useless :pac:

I don't know what it is but I even like getting achievements on steam.

Just play games to enjoy/finish them.

If you realized the countless hours I spent on my current game Watch Dogs trying to get achievements, driving all over the map trying to find the stupid songs just for the achievement. It would have been a hell of a lot easier if I looked up a guide before hand I was stuck on one song for ages so looked to the interwebs for help and finally found it. I still have more to get as some missions have not spawned yet despite me finishing the game a long time ago and having all the side missions done apart from the ones that will not show up. I also have the DLC to play yet.

Does anyone remember the first Celerons?

I don't know what it is but I even like getting achievements on steam.

If you realized the countless hours I spent on my current game Watch Dogs trying to get achievements, driving all over the map trying to find the stupid songs just for the achievement. It would have been a hell of a lot easier if I looked up a guide before hand I was stuck on one song for ages so looked to the interwebs for help and finally found it. I still have more to get as some missions have not spawned yet despite me finishing the game a long time ago and having all the side missions done apart from the ones that will not show up. I also have the DLC to play yet.
    After getting 98% completion in Mass Effect: Andromeda this year (couldn't 100% because of bugs) I'm done with pointless missions in open-world games, forever.
    Does anyone remember the first Celerons?
    I read about them recently in this (old) pice on Toms:
    14 Of The Most Legendary Overclocking-Friendly CPUs

But I'm not sure if I will get the Zen+ 12nm due out early next year or wait for the 7nm Zen 2 in early 2019.

I'm pretty optimistic for Zen+ and Zen 2, as I'm looking forward to higher IPC and overclocks.

Ryzen usually reaches its limit at 3.9 or 4GHz, while Intel can generally blast off beyond 5GHz.

I'm pretty optimistic for Zen+ and Zen 2, as I'm looking forward to higher IPC and overclocks.

Ryzen usually reaches its limit at 3.9 or 4GHz, while Intel can generally blast off beyond 5GHz.

So am I but do not expect 5GHz fron Zen+ 4.5GHz is more realistic while I'd say Zen 2 may see the magical 5GHz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I seem to be only one on here without the upgrade itch!

Maybe a couple of years but at the moment I'm seeing no performance bottle necks running normal office suite software, CAD, GIS and a bit of modelling from time to time. I'm running an i7 3770.

Just curious what are people running that will see a big benefit going to a new ryzen or Intel build?

Graphics card upgrade would probably make a difference alright, running a HD7970 on a 1440p ultrawide, but given how little I play these days and can still run most things at a respectable rate on high with AA etc switched off I can't really justify it.

As an aside, ultrawide for euro truck simulator is awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sometimes it's not a case of your current machine being slow per se, but more what an upgrade can offer you. If you (as in, you personally) went from a stock 3770 to something like an i5-8400 you would see a significant boost.

Regarding games, it really depends on what you're playing, but broadly speaking there's good sense in going from 4th gen i5 to new Ryzen/Coffee lake.....but I would say less, if any, sense in the same upgrade from a 3rd or 4th gen i7 at the moment.

Of course that again changes if you've got a 120/144hz monitor where the CPU suddenly becomes really important.

I'm now at 4K 60hz, so my i7 is completely going to waste, I originally bought it for 144hz. Generally though most games are very CPU friendly and GPU heavy, with a couple of notable exceptions.

RE: the 7970, the graphics card market has stagnated horribly the last while. To get a decent upgrade on the HD7970 now you'd have to shell out €260-€300 for a GTX1060 6GB or RX580 8GB.

I would like to get a stable 200fps in Overwatch alright.

Sometimes it's not a case of your current machine being slow per se, but more what an upgrade can offer you. If you (as in, you personally) went from a stock 3770 to something like an i5-8400 you would see a significant boost.

That's the thing though, I don't think there would be much of a boost in anything I'm doing. Any modelling I am doing (at home at least) tends to be simple, as I ain't forking out thousands for a licence to allow me to do some 2d hydraulic modelling at home. 1d models run instantly.

The only real slow down is in GIS editing massive datasets, several million entries at a time, or any processing involving huge files. For the most part I think these are single threaded, so only a slight increase in performance, and I'm not doing these daily.

I mainly wonder what other people are doing that makes it worthwhile to go to a 6 core Intel or 8 core ryzen?

With regards the GPU, I'll hold off, can't really justify the spend, even to myself, seeing as I don't play as much anymore! Of course if it fails at some stage down the line it will be a different scenario. Any savings at the end of the year get thrown onto the mortgage in the hopes I'll be free of it in 13 years instead of 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its ESRI then multithreading isnt something they've gotten around to yet. ULV dual core and 16 core dual xeons perform almost identically.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lu Tze wrote: »
    That's the thing though, I don't think there would be much of a boost in anything I'm doing. Any modelling I am doing (at home at least) tends to be simple, as I ain't forking out thousands for a licence to allow me to do some 2d hydraulic modelling at home. 1d models run instantly.

The only real slow down is in GIS editing massive datasets, several million entries at a time, or any processing involving huge files. For the most part I think these are single threaded, so only a slight increase in performance, and I'm not doing these daily.

I mainly wonder what other people are doing that makes it worthwhile to go to a 6 core Intel or 8 core ryzen?

With regards the GPU, I'll hold off, can't really justify the spend, even to myself, seeing as I don't play as much anymore! Of course if it fails at some stage down the line it will be a different scenario. Any savings at the end of the year get thrown onto the mortgage in the hopes I'll be free of it in 13 years instead of 30.

You can sign up for a 3 year student license on all autodesk products. Full access to their entire library of software. You don't need a student id number or anything.

I'm using the full versions of Maya and Max.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You can sign up for a 3 year student license on all autodesk products. Full access to their entire library of software. You don't need a student id number or anything.

This I did not know! I'll have to look it up, there are tools in the various offshoots of AutoCAD that I don't have access to that would be very useful! *flees to google

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Still rocking a 3570K,paired with a 1080 im getting roughly the 100Hz my monitor can display @1440p in a lot of games.

Plenty of games that i cant achieve a steady framerate though,GTA V being one. Varies between 70-100,capped at 100. Id say a CPU upgrade would sort that plus the move to DDR4 would help too. Also more cpu oomph for the rift would be nice even though 90%of what ive played has worked fine with the 3570K.

I do find it hard to justify the outlay though givin how well the 3570K is still performing,which has stopped me doing it up to now.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Still rocking a 3570K,paired with a 1080 im getting roughly the 100Hz my monitor can display @1440p in a lot of games.

Plenty of games that i cant achieve a steady framerate though,GTA V being one. Varies between 70-100,capped at 100. Id say a CPU upgrade would sort that plus the move to DDR4 would help too. Also more cpu oomph for the rift would be nice even though 90%of what ive played has worked fine with the 3570K.

I do find it hard to justify the outlay though givin how well the 3570K is still performing,which has stopped me doing it up to now.

What overclock are you running on the 3570k?

BloodBath wrote: »

I have Blender for the occasional 3D modelling, as I can't fork out thousands on the others. I might give Maya a go if the student version doesn't require a diploma or something like Cinema 4D does.

Speaking of C4D, my i5-4460 scored 492 in its benchmark utility, Cinebench.

• Advertisement

What overclock are you running on the 3570k?

4.3Ghz,to keep it stable above that it needs more volts than id be comfortable with.

What temps do you get on your 4.3GHz 3570K?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I have Blender for the occasional 3D modelling, as I can't fork out thousands on the others. I might give Maya a go if the student version doesn't require a diploma or something like Cinema 4D does.

Speaking of C4D, my i5-4460 scored 492 in its benchmark utility, Cinebench.

TBH some of it seems a little bit archaic design wise. Like software designed 10-15 years ago that hasn't really been updated. Maybe in terms of function but not UI and controls. It's a learning cliff rather than a curve.

It's still the industry standard for what I'm doing though and most of the tutorials are using either one of those 2. Blender is excellent though. I'm a newbie to all. Just using certain tools for editing and preparing 3d meshes for Unreal Engine.

What temps do you get on your 4.3GHz 3570K?

Gaming usually 50-65C depending on what im playing

Have you delidded it?

Have you delidded it?

No,delidding is not something ive considered really.

EoinHef wrote: »
    No,delidding is not something ive considered really.

If I were to buy a Coffee Lake and OC it to 5GHz, I'd go ahead with delidding, just to play safe with thermals.

If this was a highly OC'd i9, then hell yes.

But since your i5-3570K is between 50-65°C, you're grand without it.

If I were to buy a Coffee Lake and OC it to 5GHz, I'd go ahead with delidding, just to play safe with thermals.

If this was a highly OC'd i9, then hell yes.

But since your i5-3570K is between 50-65°C, you're grand without it.

I have no idea why intel don't solder their heatspreader like they do with the Xeon and also AMD do. Just to save a few bucks.

It's surprising, considering Intel charge higher prices than AMD's equivalents.

Are Intel's LGA 3647 Scalable Xeons IHS-soldered? I know that every Xeon leading up to E3 v1 and E5/E7 v4 is soldered.

• Advertisement

It's surprising, considering Intel charge higher prices than AMD's equivalents.

Are Intel's LGA 3647 Scalable Xeons IHS-soldered? I know that every Xeon leading up to E3 v1 and E5/E7 v4 is soldered.

I wouldn't know tbh.

They should sell some chips without the heat spreader so it saves people having to de-lid. They are all for saving a few bucks by not using solder so surely the heat spreader costs a few bucks also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement