Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Its more focused on AI and Deep Learning from what i read,not really aimed at the gaming crowd.

Always gonna be people with more money than sense though so id say some will buy them for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I was browsing through Facebook about 30 mins ago with my headphones on and started hearing crackling while viewing pictures and wondering what was happening put my hand up to take off the headphones and they were red hot and melting. So I unplugged the usb cable and all is fine now still have sound, but I have my computer setup to turn off automatically every morning at 7.30am so I can download stuff at night while everyone is asleep but I have to turn it off at that time as other people in the house get up around that time and use the internet so works out nicely(joys of having slow internet) but anyway good job it is the weekend and I wasn't asleep in bed and the head phone melted and caused a fire.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

O_O

Wireless headphones? Charge cable plugged in? Did a defective battery lose its overcharge protection and slag itself while still on your head? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well I was browsing through Facebook about 30 mins ago with my headphones on and started hearing crackling while viewing pictures and wondering what was happening put my hand up to take off the headphones and they were red hot and melting. So I unplugged the usb cable and all is fine now still have sound, but I have my computer setup to turn off automatically every morning at 7.30am so I can download stuff at night while everyone is asleep but I have to turn it off at that time as other people in the house get up around that time and use the internet so works out nicely(joys of having slow internet) but anyway good job it is the weekend and I wasn't asleep in bed and the head phone melted and caused a fire.

And this is why I stopped buying cheapo USB cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I had a problem with my Internet for the last few days. Realising that my bent USB network adapter was to blame, I bought a new one yesterday. So far, things have been running fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

FFS...I thought I'd finally be finished with ordering parts, and eBuyer decide to cancel my order of a MSI X370 motherboard, a Corsair TX550M PSU and a Cooler Master case.

And to add one little twist to that punch to the balls, they got paid and THEN decided they couldn't be arsed, so now I need to wait another 3 days for my cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

FFS...I thought I'd finally be finished with ordering parts, and eBuyer decide to cancel my order of a MSI X370 motherboard, a Corsair TX550M PSU and a Cooler Master case.

And to add one little twist to that punch to the balls, they got paid and THEN decided they couldn't be arsed, so now I need to wait another 3 days for my cash back.

Happened to me last year. They don't ship to ROI or any mail forwarding service, parcel motel or addresspal

Just...why would they pull that move? The order's still going to a UK address!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

No idea, I chatted with their customer service and they had no real explanation

Solitaire wrote: »
    O_O

Wireless headphones? Charge cable plugged in? Did a defective battery lose its overcharge protection and slag itself while still on your head? :eek:

No the USB connection was for lights. It is not a known brand so you obviously get what you pay for. I have them over a year and plugged in all the time and never had any issues and as I said above the are left plugged in over night sometimes also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

will56 wrote: »
    No idea, I chatted with their customer service and they had no real explanation

They are hard brexit supporters, they funded the UKIP campaign and hate Ireland and other independent former colonies....I'm speculating!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Any business or person within the EU who does over 41k of sales must register for VAT with the Irish government. For most retailers this means a significant website change for different VAT rates and dealing with Revenue here quarterly. Parcel motel is just a bypass of that rule and they are aware of it. Plus shipping handlers make high value devices getting damaged complicated. Since nobody knows who damaged it, with 2 shipping company's involved.

Well, that explains why Kikatech just cancelled delivery of my motherboard...and to top it off, I think the RAM I bought might be incompatible with Ryzen. :(

Radeon Software Adrenaline Edition. Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just installed 17.11.1 (they finally fixed Server 2016 issues) and got offered 17.12.1. As its new Ill leave it a few patch versions to let them iron it out.

Do you prefer Intel's core count increment model (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, etc... always in twos) or AMD's (4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32)?

Intel's model gives customers precision in choosing performance levels.

Intel's model gives customers precision in choosing performance levels.

More like money gouging...

More in dept look at the new Radeon Software Adrenaline Edition from Adored.

More like money gouging...

That's what Intel do, but does that have much to do with my point?

Maybe I'm missing something.

• Advertisement

Do you prefer Intel's core count increment model (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, etc... always in twos) or AMD's (4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32)?

Not sure I get you. There are different products and markets.

Intel offer 2-6 cores in the desktop market, AMD 4-8. For a long time Intel kept that at 4.

Intel offer 4-18 cores in the considerably more expensive Workstation market, AMD 8-16 cores. The lower core CPU's in this space make no sense, 8 core part for AMD and at least half of the x299 lineup.

You don't go above those relatively high core counts without hitting the server market, which is pointless for any home users as the pricing is multiples of a high end machine.

AMD require cores in multiples of two due to design. They could make a 10 and 14 core model, I'm pretty sure that x399 could scale up to a 32 core too if they wanted. But their 16 core is leagues above anything Intel can produce at that price range.

Both core count increment models from Intel and AMD are the same in the mainstream (2, 4, 6 for Intel; and 4, 6, 8 for AMD -- in twos). When it comes to HEDT, things deviate between the two. Intel sticks to the +2 model (and so do they with their Xeons), while AMD skips a few core counts, from 8 to 12 to 16, with Threadripper. And to 24 to 32 with EPYC, whilst omitting a 12-core model.

I'm guessing AMD is skipping core counts in the HEDT and server segment of the market to provide simplicity of choice to its customer base.

Intel only do it as they charge so much. I do not know the exact prices and can't be bothered to look them. Someone looking for a CPU for productivity and see's the 16 core i9 7860X and then looks at the price of $1700 and says I cannot afford that so I will go for the 12 core at $1200. You would get AMD's 16 core for less than $1000 and I seen them going for as low as $800 but I didn't check the price since or if that was a black Friday deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Intel only do it as they charge so much. I do not know the exact prices and can't be bothered to look them. Someone looking for a CPU for productivity and see's the 16 core i9 7860X and then looks at the price of $1700 and says I cannot afford that so I will go for the 12 core at $1200. You would get AMD's 16 core for less than $1000 and I seen them going for as low as $800 but I didn't check the price since or if that was a black Friday deal.

Threadripper still below €1000
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=cpuamdam4&xf=25_12~25_16~25_24&asuch=threadripper&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&filter=update&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p

Intel are cash cows.

AMD's slump for over half of this decade has slowed down CPU innovation, though we've seen a comeback this year.

Both core count increment models from Intel and AMD are the same in the mainstream (2, 4, 6 for Intel; and 4, 6, 8 for AMD -- in twos). When it comes to HEDT, things deviate between the two. Intel sticks to the +2 model (and so do they with their Xeons), while AMD skips a few core counts, from 8 to 12 to 16, with Threadripper. And to 24 to 32 with EPYC, whilst omitting a 12-core model.

I'm pretty sure that's more to do with binning. There has been a lot of leaks that AMD's current process of 4 cores CCX's is doing unbelievably well. To the point where they are back having to disable working cores to sell chips in the lower end of the desktop market and in some cases messing that up.

Meanwhile for Intel the indication is that with the monolithic single wafer design they have real issues getting high core chips, meaning two things. They have less of them and it costs them far more to make. So it makes far more sense to sell chips with however many working cores they have priced at whatever they can get for them. Hence why they tend to scale in such small increments in terms of core counts but with large increases in price.

I remember when Intel were still manufacturing great value chips like the Q6600 and the Celeron 300A. That's not to say they didn't have overpriced **** like the Extremely Expensive Editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I remember when Intel were still manufacturing great value chips like the Q6600 and the Celeron 300A. That's not to say they didn't have overpriced **** like the Extremely Expensive Editions.

Are you not still in school? You have some memory if you remember that celeron!

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Are you not still in school? You have some memory if you remember that celeron!

Correct, I am, and I have to go to a kip for 7 hours on most weekdays, albeit for 4 on Wednesdays.
    I wasn't even born back then :D. My knowledge of that Celeron just came from research.
    In contrast to the Celeron, I have a Q6600 myself.

• Advertisement

And BTW, I should have said "know" instead of "remember", particularly in the context of the Celeron 300A.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement