Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Built a PC for a mates kid and he wants RGB, so I got an rbg kit and windowed case.

I was never a fan of RGB does anyone actually pick a part over another because it has RGB?

The PC looks like a crappy 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I was never a fan of RGB does anyone actually pick a part over another because it has RGB?

I don't mind RGB if it looks presentable. Again, I'd take function over style anyways.

So it seems the Titan V's full codename is GV100-400-A1. The "400" would usually indicate a full GPU with all the CUDA cores enabled, albeit with such exceptions as GP102, which its full GPU codename is GP102-450-A1.
    GP104 (1070/1080) and GP106 (1060), while holding the "400" in their full variants, also have a "410" variant, used in the 1060 6GB 9Gbps and 1080 11Gbps.

So the last number in NVIDIA's GPU numbers seems to indicate the tier of the GPU.

0-2: Top-of-the-line.
    4: High-end.
    6: Upper-mid-range.
    7: Lower-mid-range.
    8-9: Entry-level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

So it seems the Titan V's full codename is GV100-400-A1. The "400" would usually indicate a full GPU with all the CUDA cores enabled, albeit with such exceptions as GP102, which its full GPU codename is GP102-450-A1.
    GP104 (1070/1080) and GP106 (1060), while holding the "400" in their full variants, also have a "410" variant, used in the 1060 6GB 9Gbps and 1080 11Gbps.

Titan V is not a full GPU it is chopped down one. Nvidia will more than likely release the full version later on in 2018.

So GV100's full codename is a similar case to GP102. I should take out the "full" in the Titan V's codename section.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone running 1 vertical 1 horizontal monitor? Thinking about finally changing but video on the 2nd monitor has me hesitating.

I mentioned already on another thread but I will say it here. I have my mind made up about getting a Rx Vega 64 GPU my old Fury X done it's job but it's time to upgrade. It's a decent enough upgrade from the Fury X so I said why not. But current stock has dwindled so it will be the New Year before I can get my hands on one.

OCUK have some in stock at extreme inflated prices and I have no notion of paying that so hopefully there will be a lot of stock early in the New Year and prices go down. The best prices I ever seen on them in Europe was €560 for the powercolor red devil with mindfactory on pre-order but they pulled the ad hopefully other places in Europe have them at the same price or close to it in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I mentioned already on another thread but I will say it here. I have my mind made up about getting a Rx Vega 64 GPU my old Fury X done it's job but it's time to upgrade. It's a decent enough upgrade from the Fury X so I said why not. But current stock has dwindled so it will be the New Year before I can get my hands on one.

OCUK have some in stock at extreme inflated prices and I have no notion of paying that so hopefully there will be a lot of stock early in the New Year and prices go down. The best prices I ever seen on them in Europe was €560 for the powercolor red devil with mindfactory on pre-order but they pulled the ad hopefully other places in Europe have them at the same price or close to it in the New Year.
    I'd wait for stock of the custom (triple-fan) or liquid-cooled alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I would wait another few months and see if the stock levels improve and if the Sapphire custom card comes down in price a bit. It looks very sweet in terms of performance (still only on par with a 1080 alas in some stuff) but its too expensive at this time.

If your not limited to a free sync monitor, go grab a 1080 custom card and be done with it.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I would wait another few months and see if the stock levels improve and if the Sapphire custom card comes down in price a bit. It looks very sweet in terms of performance (still only on par with a 1080 alas in some stuff) but its too expensive at this time.

If your not limited to a free sync monitor, go grab a 1080 custom card and be done with it.

Once they are back in stock in the new year I will pull the trigger.

I wouldn't keep an Nvidia card even if I got it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Fair enough, have the vega 64 myself, its a reference card but am suprised that the price has stayed so high on them even now a few months after launch.

I think you will be happy out with it, it devours any games I throw at it at 1440p so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It won't come down in price anytime soon. It's the best mining card out there.

AMD are pretty much killing their gaming gpu market to service miners. Short term gain, long term I think it will kill their graphics division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Just out of interest, why?

BloodBath wrote: »
    It won't come down in price anytime soon. It's the best mining card out there.

AMD are pretty much killing their gaming gpu market to service miners. Short term gain, long term I think it will kill their graphics division.

I'm not so sure. There are rumours that AMD(RTG) are working on a multi die GPU similar to the Ryzen CPU's. How true that is or if it can work is another story though. Hopefully it is true and working as expected.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Just out of interest, why?

They are like Intel and pay their way into large businesses. Like Intel they would pay the likes of Dell to just use their product.

Admittedly they don't do it as much now as they have a strong following and brand name and make millions in profit every year. But they did use shady business practices over the years.

They are like Intel and pay their way into large businesses. Like Intel they would pay the likes of Dell to just use their product.

Admittedly they don't do it as much now as they have a strong following and brand name and make millions in profit every year. But they did use shady business practices over the years.

I'm guessing you have a very long list of companies you won't buy anything from in that case if you keep to the same standards!

Edit: that's said, I've never owned an nvidia graphics, but its likely my next will be whenever I my card fails or have enough saved that I won't feel guilty about it.

4670 >4870>5770>7770>7970

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I mean... you're just describing how large corporate business models work. Scratch each others back. That's not shady, it's just the way of the world.

And honestly you're only shooting yourself in the foot with your "protest". Neither AMD or NVidia doesn't give a shíte about a single persons 500 quid every few years. Its meaningless to a company of 7bn/yr

4670 >4870>5770>7770>7970

Your PC gaming a lot longer than me. I had a GT 240(non gaming card) GTX 580>R9 290>R9 Fury X and hopefully a Rx Vega 64.

I was one of the sheep one time as you can see from two Nvidia cards but I switched and will never go back unless of course if RTG sink but I don't think that will happen though.

• Advertisement

Some ATI card that I don't know the model of > GMA 4500M (awful for gaming) > GT 440 > GTX 750 Ti

What next... the 1070 or its successor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm not so sure. There are rumours that AMD(RTG) are working on a multi die GPU similar to the Ryzen CPU's. How true that is or if it can work is another story though. Hopefully it is true and working as expected.

Yeah I heard that. They have a 4-5 year head start on Nvidia in this area as well so it's quite possible they knock it out of the park next year.

Vega once it get's it's die shrink and higher clocks is not a bad architecture. If they can pump out high yield smaller multiple dies on 1 gpu package like Ryzen they could be on to a winner. This will make them a lot cheaper to produce like Ryzen is compared to Intel's offerings.

The problem is their reputation in graphics is pretty damn poor atm. They have let Nvidia completely take the gaming market and the more people that lock themselves into a high end g-sync monitor the less likely they are to recapture those people.

Polaris was a good architecture. The 470/480/570/580 were very good cards before the miners wrecked the pricing. Even before the price hikes though it was being massively outsold by inferior Nvidia counterparts. AMD also offered 0 competition to the 1050ti which was a big mistake. Vega didn't capture the high end either.

It's going to take something big to bounce back from that. I'm a big AMD fan and even now when people are looking for cards on here I don't even consider AMD as an option.

Some ATI card that I don't know the model of > GMA 4500M (awful for gaming) > GT 440 > GTX 750 Ti

What next... the 1070 or its successor?

Probably, but you will have to quintuple the budget you had for your last card!

Edit, If that was a question to me (and not rhetorical to yourself as I assumed!) I have no idea, I will put it off as long as I can. Just can't justify the cost, especially when I'm only getting occasional games of euro truck in! Followed by 3 month long periods of not playing anything!

Probably, but you will have to quintuple the budget you had for your last card!

I know, but now that I'm getting weekly allowance, I'll be able to get higher-end hardware much more easily. That doesn't mean I should blow my cash on a 7980XE and a 1080 Ti, however. And knowing that I might get a 1440p monitor, it might make a bit of sense to get a 1070 so I can drive 60fps at that resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BloodBath wrote: »
    The problem is their reputation in graphics is pretty damn poor atm. They have let Nvidia completely take the gaming market and the more people that lock themselves into a high end g-sync monitor the less likely they are to recapture those people.

Who cares?

The gaming market is like the market for purple coloured tea cosies that smell of birch: niche AF.

AMD Have:
    All the consoles
    A big mining foothold
    Apples ear for their $13,000 desktops

Gaming is what we see, but its really inconsequential.

ED E wrote: »
    Who cares?

The gaming market is like the market for purple coloured tea cosies that smell of birch: niche AF.

AMD Have:
    All the consoles
    A big mining foothold

I was surprised when Apple went with Intel Xeon chips especially with Threadripper and Epyc. Xeon's would be more expensive even if they done a deal with Intel I'd say AMD would have made an even sweeter deal.

Regarding Apples deal with AMD GPU's they are clocked lower than the gaming versions so would be far more power efficient. Vega is pretty power efficient at lower clocks and AMD just went as high as they can go for the gaming versions which put the power efficiency through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Your PC gaming a lot longer than me. I had a GT 240(non gaming card) GTX 580>R9 290>R9 Fury X and hopefully a Rx Vega 64.

I was one of the sheep one time as you can see from two Nvidia cards but I switched and will never go back unless of course if RTG sink but I don't think that will happen though.

Some aul MS-DOS machine -> Pentium 233/266MHz integrated -> ATi Radeon 9600 SE -> Geforce 860m GT -> consoles -> Geforce GTX 970 -> GTX 980 Ti

I still wish I'd spent the money I wasted on an iBook G4 & built a PC instead, could've had a Radeon X800 machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Who cares?

AMD Have:
    All the consoles
    A big mining foothold

I'm not sure what the situation is now but last year AMD was in a dire financial situation, Nvidia on the other hand is extremely healthy.

Card wise I wouldn't even know where to begin. My last few cards were 980Ti - GTX1070 - GTX1080 SLI (horrible mistake) - GTX1080Ti. :)
    I still wish I'd spent the money I wasted on an iBook G4 & built a PC instead, could've had a Radeon X800 machine!

I think an X800 is the card I nearly had the longest. I played 100's of hours of Battlefield 2 on one. I'd say I had it a good two years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Anyone running 1 vertical 1 horizontal monitor? Thinking about finally changing but video on the 2nd monitor has me hesitating.

Do this at work, 20” vertical and 24” horizontal. Handy to have mail clients and stuff you need to check in on occasionally open on the vertical screen and your main work on the horizontal. It’s perfect for web development too.

That’s work, for home I have 24” vertical and 27” horizontal and find it great for music, browsing etc. when gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't be bothered looking up the graphics specs for my first netbook that I got in 2011, but it must have been dogcrap seeing as it couldn't even run Minecraft on "Basic" settings. The RX580 I got for my build is going to be one hell of an upgrade from Intel HD 3000!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement