Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I can't be bothered looking up the graphics specs for my first netbook that I got in 2011, but it must have been dogcrap seeing as it couldn't even run Minecraft on "Basic" settings.

I've bad memories running Minecraft on a crappy Pentium laptop in 2011, back in its beta. I had a Mac mini on my side, and while it ran better, it still wasn't perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do this at work, 20” vertical and 24” horizontal. Handy to have mail clients and stuff you need to check in on occasionally open on the vertical screen and your main work on the horizontal. It’s perfect for web development too.

That’s work, for home I have 24” vertical and 27” horizontal and find it great for music, browsing etc. when gaming.

It would be 22x2 -> 22+27/30 for me. Have to re measure the arms to see what they'll support. For lots of setups that'll be great but video and RDP it'll be messy. Sorta just gotta decide priorities.

I'm not sure what the situation is now but last year AMD was in a dire financial situation, Nvidia on the other hand is extremely healthy.

Card wise I wouldn't even know where to begin. My last few cards were 980Ti - GTX1070 - GTX1080 SLI (horrible mistake) - GTX1080Ti. :)

Coming from a weak position more than anything. nVidia took the high profit margin stuff but AMD's taken the mass market commute. Lower profit % but also gives them huge influence with the fabs as they're making up a huge chunk of their business. Fabs are the backbone of any chip OEM.

GTX1080 SLI (horrible mistake)

SLI isn't really that worth it. You're paying twice the price to get 2 of the same card, yet you aren't getting twice the performance, most of the time. Alongside, you will face issues with certain games.

SLI isn't really that worth it. You're paying twice the price to get 2 of the same card, yet you aren't getting twice the performance, most of the time. Alongside, you will face issues with certain games.

He of all people knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Hey all.
    Is there a clear winner between the
    SteelSeries Apex M400 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard &
    Corsair Strafe Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Do this at work, 20” vertical and 24” horizontal. Handy to have mail clients and stuff you need to check in on occasionally open on the vertical screen and your main work on the horizontal. It’s perfect for web development too.

That’s work, for home I have 24” vertical and 27” horizontal and find it great for music, browsing etc. when gaming.

Do you find having two monitors being better than having a single UW monitor? And better than having a 30-32" 4k monitor?

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Do you find having two monitors being better than having a single UW monitor? And better than having a 30-32" 4k monitor?

Not like for like.

A 2160p monitor at 30" gives you a really high PPI, not loads of "space" to work with. Great for content creation (4K video editing), less good for tab/window whores, devs, women...er I mean multitaskers.

To go from 2 to 1 the ultrwide would want to be roughly the same physical size (so about 50").

Sometimes, I think of the i5-680, basically an i3 priced like an i7, which is why it stands out to me. It was the worst of both worlds back when it came out in 2010. It was not worth it at the time, let alone the whole i5-6xx lineup. You were much better off getting an i7-860 or 870 back then.

As for the i5-6xx series itself, nothing could warrant a purchase. The i3 counterparts had IGPs just like their bigger brothers and were less pricey, and backed the same 2C/4T configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MRTULES wrote: »
    Hey all.
    Is there a clear winner between the
    SteelSeries Apex M400 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard &
    Corsair Strafe Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
    Corsair use real Cherry MX switches, therefore they win in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Yea. Love the oul Cherry MX's myself. I have the Corsair K65 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed switches and love it. Metal build aswell. Like a tank so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I've had 2 brown and 2 red switches from Corsair and all failed so I'd never get another Corsair keyboard again.All had very little use and where never abused so cant understand how I had 100% fail rate.

I'm now using a Logitech G810 which has Romer-G mechanical switches and while they feel different to Cherry switches I like them alot.
    Time will tell if they last but so far I've used this keyboard much more often than the Corsairs and its still working (touches wood) :D

game4it70 wrote: »
    I've had 2 brown and 2 red switches from Corsair and all failed so I'd never get another Corsair keyboard again.All had very little use and where never abused so cant understand how I had 100% fail rate.

I'm now using a Logitech G810 which has Romer-G mechanical switches and while they feel different to Cherry switches I like them alot.
    Time will tell if they last but so far I've used this keyboard much more often than the Corsairs and its still working (touches wood) :D

Wooden Keyboard? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Any regulars here interested in an Asus PG348Q? Thinking about getting the new alienware/Dell 120hz-would prefer to have a buyer for this lined up first.. Its about 12 months old, perfect condition, still have the box etc.

I would like an ultrawide 1440p monitor like the PG348Q, but I want to save my money for a standard, less pricey 1440p monitor as I don't want to blow out over a grand on a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

glynf wrote: »
    Any regulars here interested in an Asus PG348Q? Thinking about getting the new alienware/Dell 120hz-would prefer to have a buyer for this lined up first.. Its about 12 months old, perfect condition, still have the box etc.

What price would you consider?

Lovely monitor.

What price would you consider?

Would be looking for 750 or so. Worth putting it up here before it goes to adverts or the bay.

Swap you an AOC 1440P monitor? :v

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

anyone have or have seen a Thermaltake Core p5?

Really tempted to get one...

But if I was, then I'd want to go and make a complete watercool setup. Wouldn't be interested in an AIO cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

glynf wrote: »
    Would be looking for 750 or so. Worth putting it up here before it goes to adverts or the bay.

Genuine question, how far away would you be sitting from that? Amazing monitor but I'd be afraid unless I had a monstrously deep desk, I'd nearly have to be looking left to right to play on it!

• Advertisement

Genuine question, how far away would you be sitting from that? Amazing monitor but I'd be afraid unless I had a monstrously deep desk, I'd nearly have to be looking left to right to play on it!

About 500mm from face to screen. I have a humanscale chair with a headrest that reclines so if gaming for more than 2-3 hours I tend to be a bit more at 700mm or so. I was running three 27" 120hz screens in surround for years so if anything it felt smaller :)

Swap you an AOC 1440P monitor? :v

Thanks for the offer, but I have the horn for the alienware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone see the GPD Win 2. Due to be released sometime in Q1 of next year. Better specs than the old one but a significant jump in price though that isn't confirmed yet.

https://www.slashgear.com/gpd-win-2-game-performance-looks-promising-price-isnt-21512523/

Seen it before, but it wouldn't be the device for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone see the GPD Win 2. Due to be released sometime in Q1 of next year. Better specs than the old one but a significant jump in price though that isn't confirmed yet.

https://www.slashgear.com/gpd-win-2-game-performance-looks-promising-price-isnt-21512523/

Wouldn't touch it. I had 2 of the GPD Win, cool idea and worked well....but both of mine failed within a few months.

One just went totally dead, the other, random buttons stopped working.

A Core m3 is quite impressive for a device this size.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

anyone have or have seen a Thermaltake Core p5?

Really tempted to get one...

But if I was, then I'd want to go and make a complete watercool setup. Wouldn't be interested in an AIO cooler.

I have one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

https://youtu.be/J2sVe90hTA8

I watched this and was thinking dam that’s a nice monitor

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F131820713220

Import tax could be a issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

All this waiting is pissing me off. I have been waiting for a Vega GPU since before Christmas. There was some on overclockers.co.uk but they are looking for £799.99 for a 64. That just insane and they are actually selling a few at that price. Ok, I really want a Vega but no way am I paying over inflated prices for one.

I'm willing to spend €550-650 on one which I think is a fair price for one. No way am I spending 800 UK pounds on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

All this waiting is pissing me off. I have been waiting for a Vega GPU since before Christmas. There was some on overclockers.co.uk but they are looking for £799.99 for a 64. That just insane and they are actually selling a few at that price. Ok, I really want a Vega but no way am I paying over inflated prices for one.

I'm willing to spend €550-650 on one which I think is a fair price for one. No way am I spending 800 UK pounds on one.

The thought of selling my 64 with EK block crossed my mind alright, I was thinking about swapping over to a 1080ti but draining the loop again stopped me from doing so lol.

800 pound is mental money for Vega64.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement