Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless you're mining AMD makes zero sense, freesync or not. Prices are farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Unless you're mining AMD makes zero sense, freesync or not. Prices are farcical.

AMD fanboi who won't buy Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I had been mostly using AMD cards in my main rig as they always seemed to be better value. The last I used was the 290x. They just haven't been worth getting. After the 290x I switched to a 980 ti then a 1080 along with Gsync.
    I'm hoping for AMD to return to competitive pricing and get a 100hz ips ultrawide then I can consider them again but at present I've only Nvidia to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I only got the Vega64 because I got a deal nobody would believe. I wouldn't of changing from my 980ti otherwise.

It's doing a great job at 1440p 75hz anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Blitz17 wrote: »
    I only got the Vega64 because I got a deal nobody would believe. I wouldn't of changing from my 980ti otherwise.

It's doing a great job at 1440p 75hz anyway.

Where was that deal?

• Advertisement

Where was that deal?

Fell off a lorry type deal, 70euro. So sold the 980ti for 330 and bought the Vega64.

Fell off a lorry type deal, 70euro. So sold the 980ti for 330 and bought the Vega64.

I don't know if I would feel right buying that. Sounds like someones house was broken into and computer nicked and stripped for parts.

I don't know if I would feel right buying that. Sounds like someones house was broken into and computer nicked and stripped for parts.

No that wasn't the case at all. Card was still sealed in plastic.

Well what ever the case who ever was selling it never bought it anyway if they were selling it that cheap.

I just got a really funny email in my spam folder. About a millionaire who died in a helicopter crash in 2010. (That part seems legit as there is a link to a news report) they tried for years to contact his family members to transfer his fortune but today is my lucky day and they want to give it to me. It wasn't worded like that as it was a long email but that is the gist of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just got a really funny email in my spam folder. About a millionaire who died in a helicopter crash in 2010. (That part seems legit as there is a link to a news report) they tried for years to contact his family members to transfer his fortune but today is my lucky day and they want to give it to me. It wasn't worded like that as it was a long email but that is the gist of it.

Happy 2018 to you too :pac:

That's a new PC build sorted so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Vega 64?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Buy a card, take card out of box, put something of similar weight into the box, redo shrink wrap, send back to Amazon under 14 day rule, sell to person cheap.

Buy a card, take card out of box, put something of similar weight into the box, redo shrink wrap, send back to Amazon under 14 day rule, sell to person cheap.

It's bad that this makes too much sense.

The card was in the box with the box sealed. Its not a stolen or card scammed off amazon. I wouldn't have it in my possession if that was the case.

The worse with Amazon is with CPUs being bought and delidded,the IHS swapped onto the cheapest CPU in that generation, sent back for replacement or full refund. No wonder companies want to tighten up on returns.

Gah.

I need a new, bigger drive for more games.
    But I don't want to put a mechanical HDD into my system.

Why can't SSD prices get back to 2016 levels!?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Gah.

I need a new, bigger drive for more games.
    But I don't want to put a mechanical HDD into my system.

Why can't SSD prices get back to 2016 levels!?

There's deals to be had if you keep checking eBay. I got a brand new WD 512GB NVME drive for 80 euros. Sold 120Gb evo for 30 euros so the upgrade only cost 50. Using that for games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Looks like a processing powerhouse CPU-wise. Not sure about the GPU, though.

• Advertisement

Looks like a processing powerhouse CPU-wise. Not sure about the GPU, though.

It's a good GPU. Intel and Apple are not stupid which is one of the reasons they went with them and obviously getting a good deal. Apple are using the full GPU in their top of the line MAC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

8 GB of RAM I was thinking of getting 18 months ago was about £30 on Amazon. Put it off was gonna order a few things together but ended up not. Looking at the same stick now it's £85. Wtf?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

RAM, SSD and GPU prices throughout 2017 were probably the worst they've ever been relative to the norm. Very frustrating.

I bought my RAM and SSD 2nd hand for that reason (though both still have warranty).

Joshua J wrote: »
    8 GB of RAM I was thinking of getting 18 months ago was about £30 on Amazon. Put it off was gonna order a few things together but ended up not. Looking at the same stick now it's £85. Wtf?.

Price-fixing

No one is really sure, but availability hasn't kept up with demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I bought my RAM and SSD 2nd hand for that reason (though both still have warranty).

Looks like I'll go down that route if the prices don't get their grip by the time I upgrade or build a new PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Looking to purchase a laptop with Intel Core i5-3360M Dual Core Processor, 8GB ram. Is processor sufficient for most every day use, looking to play football manager/casual browisng & downloading. Conscious it is 3rd gen, will this effect performance?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

wardides wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a laptop with Intel Core i5-3360M Dual Core Processor, 8GB ram. Is processor sufficient for most every day use, looking to play football manager/casual browisng & downloading. Conscious it is 3rd gen, will this effect performance?

Thanks

Its a bit old, running something similar for work, processor is fine, just a little slower than a 7500u, but draws twice the power, so battery life will be a good bit shorter. If original hard drive it will be a bit slower than modern hard drives, and much slower than an ssd. Not sure what football manager needs to run? Does it need more than integrated graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Thanks
    Aye it'll run FM no bother.

Thanks

What model/price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Its a bit old, running something similar for work, processor is fine, just a little slower than a 7500u, but draws twice the power, so battery life will be a good bit shorter. If original hard drive it will be a bit slower than modern hard drives, and much slower than an ssd. Not sure what football manager needs to run? Does it need more than integrated graphics?

Would have helped had I thrown minimum specs in alright.

Processor:
    Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core or AMD Athlon
    2.2 GHz or higher

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Not overly fussed around graphics not a necessity. Will be running off 8GB RAM & 250GB SSD. I've only ever had experience running off hard drives with 4GB ram and standard processors, so I expect I'll see a decent bump in performance? Not overly concerned around battery power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement