Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm kinda lost, what do you mean by this?

Also what's the story with the cartoon above - is there something with the FM2 CPU's affected? Just when they have the A6 specifically....

Not sure.

There are two attacks really, Meltdown and Spectre. For Spectre AMD is technically vulnerable too, all CPU's are. Its been know about for a long time but its considered hard to do anything with and the research team got closer to exploiting it, but its considered pretty difficult to do anything with. Its a industry problem as a whole.

The other, Meltdown, is pretty much a Intel problem (although the new arm CPU has the same issue). The fix hits the server industry hard mostly and is a huge blow to Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MX518 still going strong 12 years later. I'll be sad the day it goes but damm Logitech have me as a lifelong customer. I've had and have a bunch of other gear from them as a result, like a G710+ keyboard.

Mine is still going too, I decided to upgrade anyway (wanted a fresh mouse with no sweat crust :pac: ) and got a G403. It's the perfect replacement for a MX518, so if and when yours does go... I'd suggest a 403 as a direct replacement.

They have me for life as well though. Decked out mine and herselfs peripherals with Logitech gear. Two G610 keyboards, G403/G502 mice, G430 and G933 headsets, C920 camera

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I feel sorry for someone buying a OEM i7 8700 with lets say a GTX 1070. You will be totally conned.

I'm kinda lost, what do you mean by this?
    Watch adoredtv's latest video. I can't link it I'm on my phone. The thing I l like about him is he backs up what he says with facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Watch adoredtv's latest video. I can't link it I'm on my phone. The thing I l like about him is he backs up what he says with facts.

Can you give me the jist of it? I'm running a 7700k with a 1070 & can't make out your point?

Inviere wrote: »
    Can you give me the jist of it? I'm running a 7700k with a 1070 & can't make out your point?

Your alright as you more than likely have a good motherboard the OEM motherboards use really slow memory and low quality motherboards and the 6700 only turbo's above it's base clock by a small bit now where near the max.

It's a good video and it is long but it is recommended to watch the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Anybody considering a ryzen build in the new year has some good new coming, price drops! Probably due to Zen+ dropping soon but I wouldn't argue with that

NdcVugSeAmT4SiEP.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't suppose you could make those price drops smaller? :p Us 1080p viewers are suffering teh eye-bleeds from that monster XD

Thought that was interesting, then I see the 8700k has dropped in price as well.

On Amazon.co.uk,
    1800x = 314.33
    8700k = 347.99

We got ourselves a good old fashioned price war.

Now if we could just get some production and competition in the RAM and GPU segment we would be laughing.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Don't suppose you could make those price drops smaller? :p Us 1080p viewers are suffering teh eye-bleeds from that monster XD

You need glasses! I uploaded on my phone, looks fine from here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You need glasses! I uploaded on my phone, looks fine from here!

Glasses? The chart takes up the entirety of my 1440p screen :)

• Advertisement

Glasses? The chart takes up the entirety of my 1440p screen :)

Ah, I'm still on the phone, didn't read it properly and presumed it was two small! What he needs is a set of binoculars then, the wrong way around?!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Guys, something to look for if you have thousands of Euros to spare:
    Big F***ing Gaming Displays from Nvidia

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/CES-2018-NVIDIA-announces-Big-Format-Gaming-Display-initiative-65-G-SYNC
    CES-2018-NVIDIA-announces-Big-Format-Gaming-Display-initiative-65-G-SYNC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Curse you and your 1440p monitors!! :p Its too large for most of use to even comprehend XD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Nvidia branded monitor? prepare to get rinsed :eek:

The asus bezel free kit looks like a great idea-pity its about 2 years too late, surround/eyefinity support is almost an afterthought these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Linus got his hands on the new intel chips with integrated Vega and HBM2. Serious power in a tiny form factor. I was expecting this from AMD before intel but I guess it's still good for AMD.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Linus got his hands on the new intel chips with integrated Vega and HBM2. Serious power in a tiny form factor. I was expecting this from AMD before intel but I guess it's still good for AMD.

Explains the lack of stock in the channel, its better for AMD to push stock towards a long term partner.

It also validates the claims that Vega(and Polaris) were actually really good GPU's in terms of power and heat if you dialled them back 20-30% from the desktop variants and binned them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

glynf wrote: »
    The asus bezel free kit looks like a great idea-pity its about 2 years too late, surround/eyefinity support is almost an afterthought these days.

Finally, multi-monitor users will be able to forego those ugly in-between bezels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Just got a new desk delivered by UPS, no delivery notification, no phone call to say they were on the way, didn't even knock on the door. Just dumped the box in my driveway in the rain :mad:

Squaredude wrote: »
    Just got a new desk delivered by UPS, no delivery notification, no phone call to say they were on the way, didn't even knock on the door. Just dumped the box in my driveway in the rain :mad:

Yeah, UPS seem pretty bad. They dropped my package in 4 doors up. That takes real effort. Worst thing is I was in the house. He must have spotted the neighbour out in their garden driving past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Fastway are even worse.

• Advertisement

Yeah, UPS seem pretty bad. They dropped my package in 4 doors up. That takes real effort. Worst thing is I was in the house. He must have spotted the neighbour out in their garden driving past.

I've never had a straightforward UPS delivery. This same driver handed my 980ti to a stranger on the street that said he knew where I lived rather than actually contacting me for directions

I don't know who Lifestyle sports use for their online store but on the two times I used them at least 1 year apart they called me to say they dropped the package off at a centra 2 miles away. Never tried contacting me until I get a call saying it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Jesus you' have really bad luck with UPS drivers never had any problems with them at all. Live close enough to a depot though, so it might be down to how far the driver has to go to get from the depot to wherever.

Jesus you' have really bad luck with UPS drivers never had any problems with them at all. Live close enough to a depot though, so it might be down to how far the driver has to go to get from the depot to wherever.

I'd say thats it in a nutshell. AnPost are decent here because they just drop it back to the depot locally if you missed it. It also helps that for the smaller stuff, the local postman knows exactly who to drop it into if your gone(friends/family) locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I sent a package to a guy with Nightline and they a) made ****e of the package despite being covered in fragile stickers, looked like it had been used as a football in a tournament and b) dropped it to a random house 6 doors down and had them sign for it.

First and last time ever using them. I find An Post are actually really decent, treat stuff well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I sent a package to a guy with Nightline and they a) made ****e of the package despite being covered in fragile stickers, looked like it had been used as a football in a tournament and b) dropped it to a random house 6 doors down and had them sign for it.

First and last time ever using them. I find An Post are actually really decent, treat stuff well.

They're all at it. I once had fastway deliver a parcel to me in work that literally had tyre tracks all over it. Driver who used to be in there all the time(we changed courier fairly lively after) came and said "I didn't do it" dropped the box on the counter and walked out without getting a signature. Still no payout on the claim(few hundred euro worth of contents).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Well believe it. Seen the likes of a) first hand.
    UPS own Nightline now. Same staff though. Unless there is a priority sticker on the package it would get put in a cage first thing and buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jaysus, all these horror stories about half-assed deliveries have me thinking I've dodged so many bullets! The worst I've ever suffered was when Assendia shipped my copy of Pokemon Sun a week late.

An Post and surprisingly enough Fastway have been the best in my area

• Advertisement

q1cCYSN.gif[\img]xSHFVse.gif[\img]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement