Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,184 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hey lads.

My current setup is

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz
    NZXT KRAKEN X60
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB
    Asus Maximus VII Formula
    Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X OC 8192MB

Im tempted to sell the GPU and go back to Nvidia. Nothing wrong with the card and runs everything brilliantly but im a Nvidia guy at heart.

Is it worth selling the card and getting something better or is it madness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I had an R9 290 as well but deep down I'm an Nvidia guy as well. Not a fanboy mind, I just buy whatevers best value for money, but all things considered I preferred Nvidia, just much prefer the software.

I wouldn't if I were you though. An 8GB 290X is going to take a terrible hit selling 2nd hand considering what you probably paid for it recently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Headshot wrote: »
    Hey lads.

My current setup is

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz
    NZXT KRAKEN X60
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB
    Asus Maximus VII Formula
    Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X OC 8192MB

Im tempted to sell the GPU and go back to Nvidia. Nothing wrong with the card and runs everything brilliantly but im a Nvidia guy at heart.

Is it worth selling the card and getting something better or is it madness?

I was always NVIDIA and went to AMD for my R9 270x, and kinda get what you mean. I've was contemplating a new GPU and the GTX970 was the only thing I was looking at.

That card you have looks lethal though, I'd say you'd probably be able to trade or break even changing over to Nvidia, but if there is nothing wrong with it, sounds like needless tinkering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,184 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ask Tea Bag about my tinkering. He comes out well from my selling lol

I get bored of stuff easily.

I reckon Id get a very good money for a card thats not that old. It costs like 500 new.

The dream scenario for me is Nvidia card and Gsync monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm the same except for AMD. Not a fanboy but can't help stick with them. I recommend 970s over 290s (except when 290s are a nice bit cheaper) but I couldn't say no to the sexiness that is the vapor x. I don't even game at 1440p which is another reason nVidia would have been nicer at 1080p but **** it :P Might change my mind and go 1440p in the next few months :D

• Advertisement

This time of year makes my wallet cry, without fail I always end up tinkering and upgrading. The odd time during summer too. Think I was only here during last summer and getting recommendations on GPUs and ended up with the R9 270x.

I started with a budget of €400, then it looked like I was about to drop €600, thankfully kept reading and reading and look to be settled with a CPU and Motherboard(and might need to buy a new hyper 212 evo) all in for €250.

With a €200 voucher and parts to sell, looks like it wont cost me a penny ;)

Have a go for a few months and still see if I'm hankering for that GTX970

Alrighty, having fun with this already, VRM cooling is very beefy on the card, VRMs stayed well under 50 degrees, and core stabalised at 63 degrees with fans at 55% on a 10 min run of Valley at 1080mhz (stock voltage of plus 25mv).

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Lads don't forget to post up your parts in the"parts for sale" thread.
    Give the good folk of the forum the early heads up on your lovely gear. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oh yeah....I'm selling a GTX980 as it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Will you be air or water cooling? How many drives do you need? GPU config etc?

I'm thinking of a bit of water coming, namely the Corsair H105 CPU cooler. GTX 970 is the plan, preferably a reference card as I love the Geforce showing up on the side. I'm even tempted to set the colours as white on the ram, LEDs and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Nice looking new case released.Not a bad price at £65.99 imo at ocuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

game4it70 wrote: »
    Nice looking new case released.Not a bad price at £65.99 imo at ocuk.

Dunno if i'm a fan of the horizontal MB layout , looks like allot of wasted space.
    Case seems needlessly big.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's sort of what I'm thinking as well. For a case that size, the watercooling support looks kind of crappy because of how far into the front the motherboard tray extends. Nice to see something different and all, but certainly not something I'd pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I'm not a fan of cube cases but i kinda think this one looks ok being matx.Lots of fan mounts too for good airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

LG are bringing out a 21:9 1440 IPS monitor with Freesync, very interesting if you have an AMD card...and are loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

glynf wrote: »
    LG are bringing out a 21:9 1440 IPS monitor with Freesync, very interesting if you have an AMD card...and are loaded.

But, of you're loaded you'd have Nvidia....

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's sort of what I'm thinking as well. For a case that size, the watercooling support looks kind of crappy because of how far into the front the motherboard tray extends. Nice to see something different and all, but certainly not something I'd pick up.

4HDD bays looks like allot too, Also I don't know about others but I havent had any kind of internal Disk drive on my main pc in about 6 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

Seaaan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea where one could get a 60% mechanical keyboard in Europe with UK layout. (Poker, Pure, V60 Mini?)
    All Amazon have is German layout and I really want one, as I don't use numpad anyway and the small size would be an amazing space saver!

Not a cheap option but you could you get a non English keyboard then buy replacement key caps for it.

Cant post links but waskeyboards.com has 88 key sets for UK keyboards and you can design each key cap colours and such individually.

Its crazy how recommendations and thought process' can drastically change accross different quarters.

Here is usually my first port of call in relation to querying hardware, upgrades and the likes. r/buildpac would be a place I've loitered for years.

I was having an epic slow week this week so signed up to overclockers.co.uk, and today is particularly slow. Threw up a thread just outlining my move from AMD to an i5 bladdy blah, and while the comments from here and reddit have been "yeah, move to i5, its so obvious" overclocker users are straight in with "why do that, just get an AMD 8320."

I bring this confusion on my self :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

TheDoc wrote: »
    Its crazy how recommendations and thought process' can drastically change accross different quarters.

Here is usually my first port of call in relation to querying hardware, upgrades and the likes. r/buildpac would be a place I've loitered for years.

I was having an epic slow week this week so signed up to overclockers.co.uk, and today is particularly slow. Threw up a thread just outlining my move from AMD to an i5 bladdy blah, and while the comments from here and reddit have been "yeah, move to i5, its so obvious" overclocker users are straight in with "why do that, just get an AMD 8320."

Opinions are like arseholes..everyone has one.:)

Best thing in my opinion is to research your build based on what you want it for; e.g. if its gaming and video editing find other threads/posts from people with similar usage requirement and go from there.

• Advertisement

glynf wrote: »
    Opinions are like arseholes..everyone has one.:)

Best thing in my opinion is to research your build based on what you want it for; e.g. if its gaming and video editing find other threads/posts from people with similar usage requirement and go from there.

Yeah thats what I did, and to be honest had my mind set, just this advice from total left field is a bit "wow whats going on here".

In certain respects as the posts are continuing I can see they are emphasizing cost and to get as much bang for buck, which previously I would have loved as I'm a bit of a tight arse when it comes to PC upgrades, but for once I'd made my mind up to get whats right, and not whats cheapest :)

Also considering my current CPU, not much threads floating around discussing it, only copped today my CPU isn't even an FX model, it's Phenom lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What you really need to do is to shed all of your personal belongings and go and live with the tress and and the animals. Live by the day and let nature provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »
    Changed PCIE slot for the GPU and she boots! :eek:

EDIT: Went back to the other slot to confirm if it was that that had died. No life with the GPU there. Revert to the lower slot? Nada. Back to main, nada.

Somethings wrong but Im not sure what it is.....

Power tripped again (gonna have to find out whats causing this) and now its back not posting. Tried all the same stuff but cant get it back. New year, new PSU....

Power tripped again (gonna have to find out whats causing this) and now its back not posting. Tried all the same stuff but cant get it back. New year, new PSU....

Did you reset your CMOS at all? Does it have onboard graphics ? Is the PSU and motherboard grounded to the chassis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

Yeah, resetting CMOS helped me when my power went out and my computer would not boot. Hopefully nothing is damaged!

papu wrote: »
    Did you reset your CMOS at all? Does it have onboard graphics ? Is the PSU and motherboard grounded to the chassis?

Yep, removed, drained board power, replaced. Tried it from another outlet with just a display and a known good GPU. Also tried swapping the RAM.

When this happened originally I checked all the power rails with a multimeter and all were good. And then it randomly came back to life. Thinking either the PSU is dodge and acting very strangely or the board itself is a gonner. Its second hand and has been running a 50% OC for 2yrs(probably 5yrs+ old total) so that wouldnt be totally out of the question.

Thinking I'll grab a new PSU, and if its still dead then its time to move on from Kentsfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Did you try jump starting your psu to see if it'll work while not connected to anything? Or maybe the overvolt protection on a hard drive has kicked in, had a power surge take out an old pc and found that the only damaged part was my hdd and once removed my pc came back to life.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

TheDoc wrote: »

Nowadays a lot of sites and resources aren't as trigger-happy with the OCing for various reasons, but it varies from site to site. Boards and buildpac are now more oriented toward efficient building and out-of-the-box value, OC are of course still heavily oriented to max price:performance and better value through better OCing. Thus the difference in opinion - Intel are great at stock but won't let you OC quads without paying a hefty premium, AMD are much weaker but the 8320 is cheap and very ghetto-OCable for a big boost in performance and even more value for money (if you don't factor in all the cooling or have strong compatible cooling already...).
    Yep, removed, drained board power, replaced. Tried it from another outlet with just a display and a known good GPU. Also tried swapping the RAM.

When this happened originally I checked all the power rails with a multimeter and all were good. And then it randomly came back to life. Thinking either the PSU is dodge and acting very strangely or the board itself is a gonner. Its second hand and has been running a 50% OC for 2yrs(probably 5yrs+ old total) so that wouldnt be totally out of the question.

Thinking I'll grab a new PSU, and if its still dead then its time to move on from Kentsfield.

Could be the PSU, but unhappy memories of my own make me suspect the mobo. Kentsfield quads are very stable and popular OC targets but are a little thirsty when boosted so mobo lifespan is slightly reduced in the long run when OCing them. If all rails are still turning up daisies on the DVM then I'd guess physical damage to the BIOS, although there may be some corruption so flashing it might be a worthwhile last-ditch resurrection attempt. Console yourself with the fact that Kentsfield is very, very old now - its done its duty :D

Has anyone any experience with home plugs? Thinking of picking up some, the first result on Amazon has thousands of reviews and seems solid, is there any reason not to go with model?

I understand that sometimes they don't work as well on older electical systems, but on a more modern setup I am given to believe they work almost as well as replacement ethernet cables. Is this true?

Have 100mb internet but as my PC is the extension of the house, it's behind a wall of concrete which greatly affects speeds. At best I get 20meg, more often 5-10.

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Could be the PSU, but unhappy memories of my own make me suspect the mobo. Kentsfield quads are very stable and popular OC targets but are a little thirsty when boosted so mobo lifespan is slightly reduced in the long run when OCing them. If all rails are still turning up daisies on the DVM then I'd guess physical damage to the BIOS, although there may be some corruption so flashing it might be a worthwhile last-ditch resurrection attempt. Console yourself with the fact that Kentsfield is very, very old now - its done its duty :D

This processor has been through 3 PCs so I've definitely got my moneys worth. Not a golden chip but a daycent OCer.

At one point I thought I saw a flash from below the pci slots but I'm not sure if I'm imagining that or not...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement