Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Anyone know what I could roughly ask for my Vega64 + EKWB full cover block?

Theres a 1080ti that caught my eye. I might make the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

In the past I was defending TN panels. I connected up my old TN panel last night and all evening all I can see is washed out colours. You never notice it if you change from TN to IPS but going back from my IPS to my TN some difference. I honestly thought something happened the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

TN offers better response times over IPS, making them advantageous in several gaming scenarios. For content creation, you'd be better off with IPS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone know what monitor this is?

438423.png

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone know what monitor this is?

438423.png

It's either a ROG or MSI judging by the stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Asus ROG Swift PG348Q

swift-pg348q-front-backshadow.jpg

Well done detective exact model number and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Somebody was selling one in the Sales thread last week if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

That's one manky looking stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but it shines the logo onto the desk from the bottom, classy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Skerries wrote: »
    but it shines the logo onto the desk from the bottom, classy ;)

Its a pointless manky looking waste of space then...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GamersNexus confirmed for only trustworthy tech site (called out CoolerMaster on the original H500P unlike many other tech youtubers).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thanks, couldn't tell what it was screen it was just saw the fan going from the the lights and flickering under it.

On a related thing has anyone seen the ROG Bezel-Free Kit, nothing compared to a real ultra wide but it's a little wedge that goes at bezel between screens and bends the light to partially hide the bezel.

Varik wrote: »
    Thanks, couldn't tell what it was screen it was just saw the fan going from the the lights and flickering under it.

On a related thing has anyone seen the ROG Bezel-Free Kit, nothing compared to a real ultra wide but it's a little wedge that goes at bezel between screens and bends the light to partially hide the bezel.

It was mentioned a few days ago. The only downside to it is the two side monitors have to be at an extreme angle towards you. A lot more than you would usually have when running a tri monitor setup.

Maybe I missed it but did anyone see any 4K HDR Freesync 2 monitors at CES?

I was holding out buying a 4k monitor as I assumed we would see them at CES but afaik there was none mentioned. It looks like I will just have to go with a 4k HDR tv which I'm not too happy with as they are quite large I was hoping for a 32 inch monitor that I could also use with my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That is clever. I dont really have room for a triple width setup but Im still tempted.

In the past I was defending TN panels. I connected up my old TN panel last night and all evening all I can see is washed out colours. You never notice it if you change from TN to IPS but going back from my IPS to my TN some difference. I honestly thought something happened the screen.

Well to get back to this and I can understand why I stood up for TN panels. After using it for the past number of days I can honestly say the colours aren't actually too bad, yes they are washed out but honestly I cannot see it any more. When I switched from the IPS to the TN and turned on computer I honestly thought something was wrong with the screen but I do not notice it any more.

I have royally f*cked up - bidding on a 5820K, I accidentally put an extra 0 after my bid and there's less than 12hrs left in the auction!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Listing ends in less than 12 hours

Yes, but only if you retract the bid within one hour of placing it Listing

Retract it.

Retract it.

I put the bid in last night. Thankfully it seems to not be going higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have royally f*cked up - bidding on a 5820K, I accidentally put an extra 0 after my bid and there's less than 12hrs left in the auction!! :(

Had you had a few scoops at the time?

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Had you had a few scoops at the time?

Nah, I was using the mobile app.

Anyway.
    Looks like I'll win the auctions.

5820K: €171*
    X99 mobo: €161
    16Gb DDR4-3000 (new): €180

Assuming I can get €180+60+110 for my current parts I'll be ok.

*edit: someone bid it up to €196
    Still not as bad as I feared.

I just realised this means that, even with all the worry, I'm getting a 6c/12t CPU and high-end motherboard for the price of a single 8700K!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Has the current pricing structures also affected laptops ? ( I presume it has ) My daughter is looking to buy a new laptop ( broke the lid on her old one ) and I'm finding it hard to find a replacement for what she had . AMD chip with AMD dedicated graphics for less than €500 . Got her that a few years back and it did her grand ( again, until she broke the lid ) and thought I could pick up something along the same lines with 8 gig of ram instead of the 4 that she had, went into Currys and the lad said the cheapesxt he had with dedicated graphics was €1000 .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jonski wrote: »
    Has the current pricing structures also affected laptops ? ( I presume it has ) My daughter is looking to buy a new laptop ( broke the lid on her old one ) and I'm finding it hard to find a replacement for what she had . AMD chip with AMD dedicated graphics for less than €500 . Got her that a few years back and it did her grand ( again, until she broke the lid ) and thought I could pick up something along the same lines with 8 gig of ram instead of the 4 that she had, went into Currys and the lad said the cheapesxt he had with dedicated graphics was €1000 .

Does she game on it?

Does she game on it?

ish , she plays Sims 4 from time to time and Jesus it is litterally the end of the world if that doesn't run smooth ........but ...... there is also an element of Design in her course work , nothing major but it is there .

Also any laptop suggestions must be capable of running Chrome .....with 647 tabs open , for some unknown reason . ( this is me having a dig at her :D )

jonski wrote: »
    ish , she plays Sims 4 from time to time and Jesus it is litterally the end of the world if that doesn't run smooth ........but ...... there is also an element of Design in her course work , nothing major but it is there .

Also any laptop suggestions must be capable of running Chrome .....with 647 tabs open , for some unknown reason . ( this is me having a dig at her :D )
    Get a Thinkpad, they are literally tanks.

https://www.adverts.ie/laptops/lenovo-tp-graphic-workstation-w530-i7-2-7ghz-16gb-500gb-hdd-win-10-pro/12482397

Get one with a 500Gb SSD for €550
    Those W530s have some of the best CPUs ever in them (full-power i7 4-core/8-thread)

zhGlGlw.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it was an AMD, it was probably an A8 or A10 with integrated graphics. A new i3 or i5 laptop will be a lot faster CPU wise and integrated graphics will be about the same, more than capable of stuff like Sims 4 pretty effortlessly.

If it was an AMD, it was probably an A8 or A10 with integrated graphics. A new i3 or i5 laptop will be a lot faster CPU wise and integrated graphics will be about the same, more than capable of stuff like Sims 4 pretty effortlessly.

It was the HP pavilion 15-g094sa , so AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be honest an i3 would be a titanic upgrade. The A6 is comparable to a lower end Celeron and R5 graphics would be slower than Intel integrated from the last generation or two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement