Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

AMD Smacked with multiple class action lawsuits for lying that they weren't vulnerable to meltdown/spectre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

AMD Smacked with multiple class action lawsuits for lying that they weren't vulnerable to meltdown/spectre

Some people have nothing better for doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can't see the AMD ones going anywhere. The intel ones on the other hand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Hi, hoping I can get some useful advice here as I am getting confused looking at the different options.

I am looking to extend the wifi from our house to a farm approx 50m - 80m away. I was looking at something like this:

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-37_CPE210.html

I am just not sure if this operates as a repeater of the wifi signal (i.e. it extends the wifi coverage I have from the house) or a bridge (i.e. I need another one of these on the farm to receive the signal and then attach it to a router) or both????

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AP / Client / Bridge / Repeater / AP Router / AP Client Router (WISP) operation modes

It does it all, but repeating would be poor. Get a cheap AP to sit with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

ED E wrote: »
    It does it all, but repeating would be poor. Get a cheap AP to sit with it.

Cheers ED E,
    Do you mean 2 of the CPE210 devices and an AP on the farm to create a WLAN?

Say current router is A.

If A transmits well out of its building then you could get away with 1x CPE210 and 1x AP in farm
    If A is blocked by walls in building then you should have 2xCPE210 to bridge and 1x AP in farm

Ubiquiti nanostations are a competitor worth checking out too.

Some people have nothing better for doing.

Some people being the shareholders in AMD... :pac:

I see reference Rx Vega 64 $1499.99 on Newegg and £820 for AIB Vega 64 on overclockers.co.uk

Who is making the money is it the retailers putting up the price? I'd say it is. Also who in their right mind would pay that for one is beyond me. I'm in the market for one but I'm not stuck and I will never pay anything above the recommended price which will never happen but that's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

link? Not seeing anything at a quick google.

• Advertisement

L wrote: »
    link? Not seeing anything at a quick google.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/equity-alert-rosen-law-firm-190600694.html

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3024664/amd-class-action-lawsuit-spectre-chip-flaw
    CHIPMAKER AMD has been slapped with a class-action lawsuit over claims that it artificially inflated its stock price by keeping quiet about the fact that the high-profile Spectre flaws affect its chips.

A filing to a US court in the northern district of California made by Pomerantz LLP on behalf of shareholder Doyun Kim claims that AMD's initial reaction to the flaw, which saw it declare that Spectre posed "near zero risk" to its chips before admitting that its processors were, in fact, affected by both variants of the vulnerability, resulted in AMD's stock prices plummeting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

To be honest an i3 would be a titanic upgrade. The A6 is comparable to a lower end Celeron and R5 graphics would be slower than Intel integrated from the last generation or two.

I5 7200 U with integrated 620 or A10 with R530 dedicated both with 8 gigs of ram both the same price ? Any thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Radeon 530 would be a bit faster but the i5 is a better CPU. A10's are not great....though perfectly fine for normal desktop use, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jonski wrote: »
    I5 7200 U with integrated 620 or A10 with R530 dedicated both with 8 gigs of ram both the same price ? Any thoughts ?

Save up for something better, or buy used.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Save up for something better, or buy used.

Final decision is not mine , college kids with their own money ...... Fair play to her .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You mentioned it was only for college work and a bit of Sims 4, so either will be plenty realistically. I'd look into things like laptop weight, size, battery life, screen quality, etc.

i5 easily beats the A10, R 530 is better graphically, but either way won't count for much if you end up with a clunker with crap battery or a rubbish screen, etc.

Final decision is not mine , college kids with their own money ...... Fair play to her .

Oh yeah.

My point still stands then; used ThinkPad W530.

They're a bit big/clunky, but they also are easy to service/upgrade, built like tanks, spillproof (!), useable without a mouse, have the greatest keyboards around.
    And so "ugly" that only thieves with an eye for good design will want to steal them :pac:

Seriously, you won't get a better machine than this
    https://www.adverts.ie/laptops/lenovo-tp-graphic-workstation-w530-i7-2-7ghz-16gb-500gb-hdd-win-10-pro/12482397
    Get a cheapo 2nd battery
    https://www.adverts.ie/other-hardware/brand-new-battery-42t4791-42t4844-for-lenovo-thinkpad-l430-l530-t430/14522485
    And you have all-day battery life.

*oh and that W530 comes with 16Gb RAM & a better CPU than either of those cheapo new options.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Seriously, you won't get a better machine than this
    https://www.adverts.ie/laptops/lenovo-tp-graphic-workstation-w530-i7-2-7ghz-16gb-500gb-hdd-win-10-pro/12482397
    Get a cheapo 2nd battery
    https://www.adverts.ie/other-hardware/brand-new-battery-42t4791-42t4844-for-lenovo-thinkpad-l430-l530-t430/14522485
    And you have all-day battery life.

*oh and that W530 comes with 16Gb RAM & a better CPU than either of those cheapo new options.

I showed her that when you posted it the first time

Response " oh god no , thats awful looking ",

She has just come in the door with a HP pavillion from Harvey Normans , she says it's red ........ I told her it was lovely .

I'm going for a nap now .

I showed her that when you posted it the first time

Response " oh god no , thats awful looking ",

She has just come in the door with a HP pavillion from Harvey Normans , she says it's red ........ I told her it was lovely .

I'm going for a nap now .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-15-6-14-13-3-12-ASUS-Lenovo-HP-Decal-Laptop-Sticker-Cover-Skin-Protector-/371619572095

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Advertisement

Are 240mm AIOs bad value?

I'm thinking of getting a Cryorig A40, but its performance is only 5-7C better than my SilentiumPC Fortis 3

A40 thermals
    Fortis 3 thermals
    Even if I sold the Fortis 3 for €40, would it be worth it for the 5820K?

(bear in mind my case is tiny)
    Silverstone-Kublai-Chassis.jpg

I think a bearing is gone or about to go on my 180mm top fan in my case as it makes a noise the odd time that I only started noticing last night and I could hear it again today but sure enough as I'm typing this it is silent. So yea it's not gone yet but on the way out.

Pulled the trigger on this toady... **** knows when I'll actually get it.

Trio-RBG.png

What is it? 1080, 1070, 1070Ti?

1080Ti

RGB = Go faster stripes of computing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Have one of them on my wishlist. Supposedly awesome but way out of my budget at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Which site did you get it from?

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    Which site did you get it from?

Novatech. The only one that doesn't have insane prices on all their GPUs now. Nothing's in stock, but it's the same for every retailer at the minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement