Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Novatech. The only one that doesn't have insane prices on all their GPUs now. Nothing's in stock, but it's the same for every retailer at the minute.

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

How much?

£716, think it worked out to £750 once Irish vat and shipping was accounted for. Cheapest on OCuK right now is £899

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Good price. 915 on Amazon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm having a really weird issue. I get really bad wifi using a USB wifi dongle. If I plug it into one specific USB port, the speed dramatically improves. For some reason, that no longer works now.

Powerline adaptors seem to be recommended here a lot. The only thing is that I am on the upper floor of the house while the router is on the floor below. I was talking to a chap at Maplin who said some of them don't work across "rings".

Has anybody used them across different floors at all? Ideally, a set you can plug a multiplug adaptor in the back as I only have 2 sockets in my room.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm having a really weird issue. I get really bad wifi using a USB wifi dongle. If I plug it into one specific USB port, the speed dramatically improves. For some reason, that no longer works now.

Powerline adaptors seem to be recommended here a lot. The only thing is that I am on the upper floor of the house while the router is on the floor below. I was talking to a chap at Maplin who said some of them don't work across "rings".

Has anybody used them across different floors at all? Ideally, a set you can plug a multiplug adaptor in the back as I only have 2 sockets in my room.

Have used them between floors and they work fine. Probably what he meant was that if the floors are on different circuits and not connected then it won't work.

Quite a few of them are passthrough kits now, so you can plug something else into them. It's not recommended you plug the powerlines into any extension leads or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Have used them between floors and they work fine. Probably what he meant was that if the floors are on different circuits and not connected then it won't work.

Quite a few of them are passthrough kits now, so you can plug something else into them. It's not recommended you plug the powerlines into any extension leads or anything.

Passthrough is the word I was looking for and it'd be pretty handy. I am living in a rented houseshare. Is there a way to check if my room is on the same circuit as the router? I don't mind paying for them but if they're fine but don't work in my house then it'd be a bit rough losing the cash. I'm not sure what you mean by floors not being connected...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Friend of mine is asking to set up either a 6x 1080p, or 2x 4K monitor setup on the cheap.

Cheapest GPU I can figure for this is Radeon HD5870 Eyefinity 6 for the former (€100 on eBay), but I'm assuming for the latter something like a GT1030 would suffice?
    The 2x 4K setup would allow him to have 2x 32" monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Passthrough is the word I was looking for and it'd be pretty handy. I am living in a rented houseshare. Is there a way to check if my room is on the same circuit as the router? I don't mind paying for them but if they're fine but don't work in my house then it'd be a bit rough losing the cash. I'm not sure what you mean by floors not being connected...

One way to try with out any equipment is turn off all socket breakers or fuses and then leave the breaker on or fuse in for the router and then go up to your room and try the plug if it still works then it is on the same circuit and if not then it's on another.

One way to try with out any equipment is turn off all socket breakers or fuses and then leave the breaker on or fuse in for the router and then go up to your room and try the plug if it still works then it is on the same circuit and if not then it's on another.

Good idea. Unfortunately, 8 people live here so finding a convenient time might be difficult. We did have to switch off some of them recently and it killed the power to my room.

H. H. Asquith

Good idea. Unfortunately, 8 people live here so finding a convenient time might be difficult. We did have to switch off some of them recently and it killed the power to my room.

Get up early tomorrow morning as most if not all in the house will be asleep and try then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have TP Link ones and I'm pretty sure I have used them without problem on separate circuits.

One was in the shed and the other was inside - I'm 99% sure that they are separate circuits. Can check for you if I get an empty house over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mne work fine on separate circuit rings, one upstairs with router, the other downstairs for the tv. Both circuits have their own mcbs at the breaker board.

Thanks guys, that's all really helpful.

H. H. Asquith

I have one more question if that's ok. Are these likely to affect other people's internet connection? Steam did when I was downloading games but fortunately the others didn't make the connection so I sort of got away with it but this would be a more long term measure.

Ta again.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get up early tomorrow morning as most if not all in the house will be asleep and try then.

And have somebody late for work after their alarm clock goes back to 00:00? Bad idea.
    I have one more question if that's ok. Are these likely to affect other people's internet connection? Steam did when I was downloading games but fortunately the others didn't make the connection so I sort of got away with it but this would be a more long term measure.

Ta again.

Set the limiter in steam and it wont. If you have a 50Mb connection and use 50Mb downloading then things grind, but limit yourself to 30Mb and things run smoothly.

If any other residents use homeplugs then theyll all mesh into one, so say they're good for 120 realworld thats between all homeplugs not any one pair.

Anyone else watch Jim's videos on his YouTube account AdoredTv? He posted a great video a few days ago calling out bad practices by Pcperspective but the video has since been taking down and loads of emails sent back and over that are public on his new video and on Redit where Pcperspective shared them. He also said I have been sent pictures of my house by your YouTube viewers(I can't stop laughing at that) and I fear my family are at risk.

Jim is a pretty intelligent guy as he never looses the cool and seems to know his stuff. It's all kicking off on YouTube...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

He is up there with the best TechTubers.

He is up there with the best TechTubers.

He does know his stuff and always does a tonne of research into each topic he discusses with evidence rather than just making lies up.

ED E wrote: »
    Set the limiter in steam and it wont. If you have a 50Mb connection and use 50Mb downloading then things grind, but limit yourself to 30Mb and things run smoothly.

If any other residents use homeplugs then theyll all mesh into one, so say they're good for 120 realworld thats between all homeplugs not any one pair.

Cheers. I've managed to get most of the Steam stuff I want. Was more thinking about Netflix and such.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cheers. I've managed to get most of the Steam stuff I want. Was more thinking about Netflix and such.

As long as you arent on an ancient old 8Mb ADSL connection VOD services won't be pushing things at all. 4K Youtube is only about 25Mb, lower resolutions a lot less.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    As long as you arent on an ancient old 8Mb ADSL connection VOD services won't be pushing things at all. 4K Youtube is only about 25Mb, lower resolutions a lot less.

Legend, E. Out of curiosity does online gaming choke it much. Saw one of my housemates playing World of Warcraft the other night.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

So I've been using an Alienware 13 for the past week or so. The only reason I got it over another laptop was the OLED display (and a hefty discount code).

TL;DR - It's fantastic. I wish it wasn't glossy, and it would be nice if it could get a bit brighter, but it's so much better than IPS or VA it's nuts. You don't really appreciate it as much on a phone because the panel is physically so small, but on something bigger, it's another story all together.

Haven't got around to any gaming on it yet, but that's next on my list. So far it's just been some work stuff, and a bunch of TV, but burn-in be damned, I'll be getting a desktop OLED monitor the second one shows up.

Anyone else watch Jim's videos on his YouTube account AdoredTv? He posted a great video a few days ago calling out bad practices by Pcperspective but the video has since been taking down and loads of emails sent back and over that are public on his new video and on Redit where Pcperspective shared them. He also said I have been sent pictures of my house by your YouTube viewers(I can't stop laughing at that) and I fear my family are at risk.

Jim is a pretty intelligent guy as he never looses the cool and seems to know his stuff. It's all kicking off on YouTube...

I like him a lot. His first PC build video was very helpful and informative.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hey folls I need to be able to split audio, game / ts3-discord/ mic ive looked at the astro mix amp but their exspensive has any one got a suggestion for alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Legend, E. Out of curiosity does online gaming choke it much. Saw one of my housemates playing World of Warcraft the other night.

Gaming uses very little bandwidth outside of downloading/updating the game itself.

Also if you're not sure if the powerline adaptors will work buy them from Amazon or Argos to test and return them if they don't work. Both places offer no questions asked refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey folls I need to be able to split audio, game / ts3-discord/ mic ive looked at the astro mix amp but their exspensive has any one got a suggestion for alternatives?

Can you elaborate, I honestly can't figure out what you want to do here. :confused:

Ordered some homeplugs so I'll see how that goes....

I have another question if that's ok. I'm getting fairly low FPS in some of my games such as 38fps in Far Cry 3 at mostly Ultra settings. Far Cry 4 runs a bit better. Even Shogun 2 has dipped below 30 more times that I'd like...

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

You really don't need to be playing on Ultra all the time. Dial down to Medium or High and see what you get. Games still look great at those settings.

You really don't need to be playing on Ultra all the time. Dial down to Medium or High and see what you get. Games still look great at those settings.

Maybe that's it. I just assumed I could put everything up to ultra and that'd be grand.

Cheers!

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

What card have you got and what resolution screen?

edit: Sorry forgot to metion this is to An C Dorcha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement