Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What card have you got and what resolution screen?

edit: Sorry forgot to metion this is to An C Dorcha.

Cheers W.

It's a Gigabyte RX 580 and a 1080p 144Hz monitor. I've the refresh rate set to 75Hz as I think any higher was killing my GPU with Shogun 2.

I get a solid 75 fps out of Arkham Knight, half that for Crysis as well as what I mentioned above.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cheers W.

It's a Gigabyte RX 580 and a 1080p 144Hz monitor. I've the refresh rate set to 75Hz as I think any higher was killing my GPU with Shogun 2.

I get a solid 75 fps out of Arkham Knight, half that for Crysis as well as what I mentioned above.

Throttling? Or Windows set to low power mode?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Throttling? Or Windows set to low power mode?

I don't know what you mean by throttling? I think I have the default power plan selected.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You do seem to be getting low framerate. What CPU?

You do seem to be getting low framerate. What CPU?

It's a Ryzen R5 1600.

One thing I did try for Far Cry 3 was turning V-Sync off. Last time I tried it there was a bit of tearing but it seemed better this time and the frame rate went up. Is this normal? I didn't think V-Sync was such a performance killer and it's nice to eliminate tearing.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

It's a Ryzen R5 1600.

One thing I did try for Far Cry 3 was turning V-Sync off. Last time I tried it there was a bit of tearing but it seemed better this time and the frame rate went up. Is this normal? I didn't think V-Sync was such a performance killer and it's nice to eliminate tearing.

Always turn off vsync but AMD have their own called enhanced sync that eliminates tearing. Just look through the AMD settings. Sorry I can't give exact details of where the settings are as I sold my Fury X a while ago and was all set to get a RX Vega but the prices have shot up and no way I am paying over the odds for one.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11664/amd-radeon-software-crimson-relive-edition-1772/6

Always turn off vsync but AMD have their own called enhanced sync that eliminates tearing. Just look through the AMD settings. Sorry I can't give exact details of where the settings are as I sold my Fury X a while ago and was all set to get a RX Vega but the prices have shot up and no way I am paying over the odds for one.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11664/amd-radeon-software-crimson-relive-edition-1772/6

I never thought it'd be that and I figured that Far Cry 3 was old enough for my machine to smash it on Ultra. Anyway, tearing seems minimal. I checked my monitor and it says that it supports it but the driver says that it does not. It used to but I think this changed when I went from HDMI to Displayport.

I really appreciate the help all!

Edit: Turns out I had to change my monitor settings. Thanks again. I really do appreciate this.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Hey folls I need to be able to split audio, game / ts3-discord/ mic ive looked at the astro mix amp but their exspensive has any one got a suggestion for alternatives?

Take a look at voicemeeter banana, it's basically a software version of a mix amp, there's plenty of setup guides on youtube. I've used it in the past and it works quite well

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sigh. Nobody ever listens.

Forum Announcement: Up for weeks, 17 views, turds already floating to the surface in BA. Next turd will net the user a Darwin Awards ban, and as soon as they receive it they will be screaming because nobody ever told them about BA being a no-chat thread, or that said is referenced in the forum charter, or that there was a Forum Announcement about it, or that there was a Size=7 text post just posted in there warning everybody.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You mean that's not the chat thread?! **** sake Sol, why didn't you tell anyone?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Interesting theory video by the hardware unboxed guys on why there have been and will be feck all Vega partner cards

Haha! I will include an affiliate link below to buy a 8,000 dollar plus Mac, I'm always looking out.

I found that joke really funny in that above YouTube link.

My homeplugs arrived. It says that I'm connected to an unidentified network at 100 MBps but no internet. I've spent the last few days trawling for solutions. If anyone's dealt with this before, I would be very grateful!

H. H. Asquith

My homeplugs arrived. It says that I'm connected to an unidentified network at 100 MBps but no internet. I've spent the last few days trawling for solutions. If anyone's dealt with this before, I would be very grateful!

I'm really sorry about all this. I just updated my driver. I really had no idea that would work. I've been at this for several hours now. That said, the homeplugs are a serious improvement over the wifi. I really appreciate anyone who tried to help me here. I don't even know why I tried updating that driver. I had to run a wizard to enable DHCP or something. The port has an orange light.

Sorry again.

H. H. Asquith

Glad you got it sorted anyway. I have no experience with home plugs so couldn't offer any advice.

Glad you got it sorted anyway. I have no experience with home plugs so couldn't offer any advice.

I just clicked on updating that driver in between hamfisted attempts at manually getting my PC on the network. Updating the wifi driver made it no faster so I was quite shocked when it updated the driver!

Ta.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

After hemming & hawing over Skinflint for weeks, I have concluded that there are no beautiful cases in the PC market.

... in my price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm personally sick of the tempered glass/RGB fads.

I'm personally sick of the tempered glass/RGB fads.

One of my housemates thought I installed strobe lighting in my room...

H. H. Asquith

Threadripper CPU's can be used to mine some cryptocurrency's.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/can_you_make_money_using_threadripper_for_mining/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pc building to get even pricier as wafer makers to increase prices by 20%

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/silicon-wafer-makers-plan-20-price-increase-for-2018-cpus-gpus-ram-and-nand-to-be-affected/

As far as I understand it, the wafer is one of the cheapest parts to manufacture, and is only a tiny fraction of even a CPU die, let alone a full system.

Serephucus wrote: »
    As far as I understand it, the wafer is one of the cheapest parts to manufacture, and is only a tiny fraction of even a CPU die, let alone a full system.

Yea but if that price goes up for the wafer the rest of the chain goes up as well including to us the end buyers.

Yes, but my point is I think it's small enough that we probably won't notice.

Bitcoin gonna drop below $6'000 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Any thoughts on this i7 5th gen for $50 from Alibaba. It kind of makes sense since they were quickly superseded a few months later by the 6th gen chips. But this seems very cheap.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Intel-Core-i7-5775C-Processor-6M_60665524980.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.11.2f1fbac0onNsPJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say that is 100% a scam.

tadcan wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this i7 5th gen for $50 from Alibaba. It kind of makes sense since they were quickly superseded a few months later by the 6th gen chips. But this seems very cheap.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Intel-Core-i7-5775C-Processor-6M_60665524980.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.11.2f1fbac0onNsPJ

It's too cheap; this chip retailed for $377 in July 2015.
    I'd love to be wrong though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

The nearest competitor price is $150 for 50 minium order. Still very tempted to take a chance. This really is overriding the sensible part of my brain!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The website is literally named after a thief :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement