Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ok, went all-in.

New case, new CPU cooler, new GPU cooler.

The upgrades never end :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tadcan wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this i7 5th gen for $50 from Alibaba. It kind of makes sense since they were quickly superseded a few months later by the 6th gen chips. But this seems very cheap.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Intel-Core-i7-5775C-Processor-6M_60665524980.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.11.2f1fbac0onNsPJ
    For $50, I'm almost tempted, but I wouldn't get that much of a gain.

=-=

Nearly 10 years ago;

I think this place eventually got a broadband connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

the_syco wrote: »
    Snip

EPIC fail indeed, I actually came second in 2012, the PSU Hammer throw was also great.
    441076.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Good times. Still have my UT2004 trophy from 2007 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Anyone got a recommendation for a no frills quiet cpu cooler. Got an i7 7700 and the stock cooler is a lil noisy.

• Advertisement

Joshua J wrote: »
    Anyone got a recommendation for a no frills quiet cpu cooler. Got an i7 7700 and the stock cooler is a lil noisy.

£25: Arctic Freezer i32, Raijintek Themis.
    £30: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE if you want colour.
    £30-35: Cooler Master Hyper 412S, Scythe Mugen 4 for silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Looking to get a laptop for my sister, either new or second hand and upgraded with an SSD.

My own laptop has an i5-5200u (2 core/4 thread 2.7GHz) and a 940m, I upgraded it to 16gb RAM with a Samsung SSD and it absolutely gobbles up day to day and productivity stuff. Sister will likely not be a power user but I want to get something at least as snappy as mine.

Any recommendations on something new under €500, or a good second hand laptop that I could upgrade?
    I know people will link thinkpads, but something a bit more streamlined and nice looking would probably be more her thing. I've seen a few nice looking HP laptops on adverts that might do the trick, but not sure about the processors.

>not considering ThinkPads

Why even bother? :pac:

Just avoid anything with Intel Pentium/Celeron/Atom/Core m.
    Or AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    >not considering ThinkPads

Why even bother? :pac:

Just avoid anything with Intel Pentium/Celeron/Atom/Core m.
    Or AMD.

Processor wise I'm thinking an i5, 2c/4t similar to mine. With a base clock closer to 2GHz than 1. But would she even need that much power for spreadsheets and Chrome? Id like the power for multitasking so she doesn't have to worry about too much being open.

If it was for me, Id get a think pad. IDK, maybe should wouldn't care as she's not a 20 something. But I can imagine her disappointment that it doesn't fit in her handbag....

jebidiah wrote: »
    Processor wise I'm thinking an i5, 2c/4t similar to mine. With a base clock closer to 2GHz than 1. But would she even need that much power for spreadsheets and Chrome? Id like the power for multitasking so she doesn't have to worry about too much being open.

If it was for me, Id get a think pad. IDK, maybe should wouldn't care as she's not a 20 something. But I can imagine her disappointment that it doesn't fit in her handbag....

How about the Thinkpad X1 Carbon?
    https://www.adverts.ie/laptops/x1-carbon-thinkpad-core-i7-8gb-ram-intel-ssd250gb-backlit-touch-screen-windows-10-great-condition/14508181

There's a few i5 models on Adverts/eBay as well but I think this is the best value.

If handbag-sized is needed, maybe she'd be better off with a large-size phone?
    e.g. Xiaomi Mi Max 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like this is perfect. Portable and very fast with a full HD screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was just browsing through OCN and was in the Ryzen thread and seen people are getting between 3.8-4.0GHz with lower volts since the latest update and RAM stability has improved also. If they have improved the first gen Ryzen this much, Ryzen+ will be pretty good at launch with most likely 4.5GHz on the best of the best chips and the RAM instability will be gone at launch also.

All parts have arrived.

The rebuild starts soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Man I feel like going office space on my Ryzen build after what happened today.
    Never had anything but problems trying to get my Asus Prime x370-a to run my Corsair LPX 3000mhz RAM to clock at anything over 2133mhz.

tenor.gif

All parts have arrived.

The rebuild starts soon :D
    I can't get a video signal.

I hate everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

I can't get a video signal.

I hate everything.

Want to join me in smashing the sh1te out of our rigs? :P

Doge wrote: »
    Want to join me in smashing the sh1te out of our rigs? :P

Only if it turns out I've killed my 980 Ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Only if it turns out I've killed my 980 Ti.

Ouch , hope not

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Ouch , hope not

I replaced the cooler with NZXT Kraken G12 + a Thermaltake AIO

I'm worried I might've cracked it.
    Won't know until later when I take it apart.

Welp.

Put the GPU back together again but now I'm stuck with Error 53 - Memory initialization error
    and still no video output.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Didn't you say that was a 2nd hand board and CPU? Be pretty sickening if the board turned out to have a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I have to get my phantex evolv atx tg addition modded the temps are insane at the moment.

So Ive contracted some metal work places has anyone ever gotten there pc cnc/milled/routed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Welp.

Put the GPU back together again but now I'm stuck with Error 53 - Memory initialization error

I could be way off , but i am fairly sure I saw that error a week or 2 back on a system and it was bent cpu pins , annoying fix but not terrible ( i have shaky hands )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Welp.

Take it all apart and build it on the table as it's a lot easier to trouble shoot that way. Also as above take a look at all the CPU pins when it's on the table.

I've a week off so will do that instead of going on holiday...

Alright, so I borrowed my friend's GTX 1070 and I've got a signal, and Windows install is still there!

...which means I killed my 980 Ti.
    Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Alright, so I borrowed my friend's GTX 1070 and I've got a signal, and Windows install is still there!

...which means I killed my 980 Ti.
    Bugger.

Have you tried the 980 again after the 1070 worked?

Have you tried all the ouputs of the 980 e.g. VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP?

Does the motherboard/cpu have on board graphics? If it does, maybe you could try reflashing the BIOS on the 980. A memory initialization problem could be fixed with a reflash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Never had anything but problems trying to get my Asus Prime x370-a to run my Corsair LPX 3000mhz RAM to clock at anything over 2133mhz.

tenor.gif

yep I've gskill b die 3200 and nope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Looks like I should upgrade my GPU (with a 1080p60 target), and possibly my CPU, probably after I get my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

tenor.gif

I feel your pain, my RAM kit (G.Skill Ripjaws i-Hammerhead Eagle Thrust Elite V or something along those lines) isn't even supported by my ASRock X370 motherboard, and the BIOS menu is a nightmare to get through. I've got a RX580 and all I have to show for it is ~40fps in GTA V.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement