Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I've got a RX580 and all I have to show for it is ~40fps in GTA V.

At what settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

At what settings?

Very high on most stuff, with maximum population/traffic density, resulting in ~2.2GB of video memory usage.

It's not unplayable, and I pretty much have the PC version just to use GTAO-exclusive vehicles without grinding for days or blowing my money on Shark Cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Very high on most stuff, with maximum population/traffic density, resulting in ~2.2GB of video memory usage.

It's not unplayable, and I pretty much have the PC version just to use GTAO-exclusive vehicles without grinding for days or blowing my money on Shark Cards.

At what resolution? With my Fury X(when I had it) I was getting about 70FPS average at 1440p with 4GB of video memory usage and with Very high on nearly everything with maximum population/traffic density.

Eh...768p, because I'm using my 1080i TV as a monitor because I thought, "Oh it says it's HD, that's grand." I remember plugging in my monitor for the first time and being blown away...by how crisp everything looked on my phone when I read it. :o

Eh...768p, because I'm using my 1080i TV as a monitor because I thought, "Oh it says it's HD, that's grand."

Then something's definitely up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, something is definitely wrong there. GTA V will run at 60fps on 1333mhz ram and an old 2nd gen i5. If you're hoovering around 40fps there's something funky going on with your setup.

I'm guessing there's something up with the GPU drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I had two instances where people I know were complaining about low FPS on their gaming rig. Turns out they had their HDMI hooked into the motherboard instead of the GPU. Don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I was just browsing through OCN and was in the Ryzen thread and seen people are getting between 3.8-4.0GHz with lower volts since the latest update and RAM stability has improved also. If they have improved the first gen Ryzen this much, Ryzen+ will be pretty good at launch with most likely 4.5GHz on the best of the best chips and the RAM instability will be gone at launch also.

Are you talking about a bios update? Could you link to a specific thread?
    Since upgrading to a Cryorig H7 on my 1600 my temps have lowered quite a lot. its at 3.8 now, but id like to try push it higher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

farna_boy wrote: »
    Have you tried the 980 again after the 1070 worked?

Have you tried all the ouputs of the 980 e.g. VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP?

Does the motherboard/cpu have on board graphics? If it does, maybe you could try reflashing the BIOS on the 980. A memory initialization problem could be fixed with a reflash.
    I left it in his gaff; will get it back next week.

But for now he's happy gaming on PS4 & letting me borrow this 1070 (hopefully GTX 2000-series comes out soon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Mind factory don't like english speakers do they?

My ram is faulty :/

Yeah, something is definitely wrong there. GTA V will run at 60fps on 1333mhz ram and an old 2nd gen i5. If you're hoovering around 40fps there's something funky going on with your setup.

Well, sh*t. A few days ago I entered my system's specs into a "bottleneck calculator" to see what parts were letting me down and it said it was my Ryzen 5 1600, but I take it that's not the case if a 2nd gen i5 can run it. :/ I'll try updating my drivers and seeing if that can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Have you updated the BIOS on the board? What speed is the ram at? What's the cpu clock? What resolution.

Even in a worst case scenario, no overclock on the cpu/gpu and 2400Mhz ram you should still be getting around 60-80fps.

Also test cpu and gpu temps to see if you are overheating anywhere.

You didn't go crazy with AA settings by any chance? As mentioned as well disable V-sync.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Have you updated the BIOS on the board? What speed is the ram at? What's the cpu clock? What resolution. Even in a worst case scenario, no overclock on the cpu and 2400Mhz ram you should still be getting above 60-80fps.

I've updated the BIOS to P3.50, I'll probably update to P4.50 later, I haven't tried overclocking either the CPU (3.2GHz) or the RAM (2133MHz).

BloodBath wrote: »
    Have you updated the BIOS on the board? What speed is the ram at? What's the cpu clock? What resolution.

Even in a worst case scenario, no overclock on the cpu/gpu and 2400Mhz ram you should still be getting around 60-80fps.

Also test cpu and gpu temps to see if you are overheating anywhere.

You didn't go crazy with AA settings by any chance? As mentioned as well disable V-sync.

Thanks for the tip, I've done just that and I'm getting over 100fps! Granted, it's while flying a jet south of Vespucci Beach, but it's something. :o

Nice to see the performance bump up to its proper level.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

PC hard shutting off during game this past week, just happens randomly during gaming. Could be immediately or halfway through game etc. :(

Blitz17 wrote: »
    PC hard shutting off during game this past week, just happens randomly during gaming. Could be immediately or halfway through game etc. :(
    Monitor the CPU temps (is the cooler working?) ; otherwise run hard drive / SSD diagnostics.
    If it's neither an overheating CPU or borked drive, it's likely a dying PSU.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Monitor the CPU temps (is the cooler working?) ; otherwise run hard drive / SSD diagnostics.
    If it's neither an overheating CPU or borked drive, it's likely a dying PSU.

Running full custom loop, temps are high 30 lows 40s on both CPU and GPU so it's not that.

I'll try drive diagnostics. I've gaming for past 30 mins and no probs , weird one.

just discovered the reason why my computer has been so unstable.

it running in single channel memory I now have the pleasant task of dealing with mind factory :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

just discovered the reason why my computer has been so unstable.

it running in single channel memory I now have the pleasant task of dealing with mind factory :(

Are the sticks in the correct slots?

They're laid out as 1-3-2-4, so if you've two sticks beside each other then just move one over

Are the sticks in the correct slots?

They're laid out as 1-3-2-4, so if you've two sticks beside each other then just move one over

so Asus crosshair hero A2 b2

the dimm are in the recommended slots I've a bit of problem-solving to do I'm way out, my league :(

so Asus crosshair hero A2 b2

the dimm are in the recommended slots I've a bit of problem-solving to do I'm way out, my league :(
    Run both of these first:

Windows built-in memory tester (Windows+R keys -> Mdsched )

Memtest86 https://www.memtest86.com/index.html

I believe it's my PSU causing the issue, somebody said its a cheap capicitor PSU and I've had it 5 years.

It's still under warranty so might go down that route.

Or else I'll upgrade to 850w Seasonic Focus Plus as that seems to be well recommended these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Shoutout to whoever recommended that £20 VonHaus Monitor arm recently...ordered one after reading the thread on a whim and it's a super bit of kit for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gy0e_f-maxage-0.gif

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Run both of these first:

Windows built-in memory tester (Windows+R keys -> Mdsched )

Memtest86 https://www.memtest86.com/index.html

I spent 6 hours running that and here are the results.

I don't fully understand how duel channel and single channel ram work

but here are some pictures.

442385.jpg

excuse the light bleed on my monitor :o its getting old

442386.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How much RAM have you as it looks to me like 16GB's is being recognized.

How much RAM have you as it looks to me like 16GB's is being recognized.

I don't understand ram, I'm learning at the moment, My Qcode is saying 24 which apparently is a memory issue.

Having said that I updated the bios and the computer seems to be booting and performing a lot better then it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Recommend me a good PSU? I currently have a 600w cheap yolk that has served me strong for 5 years but like the poster above I think it's causing me issues now. Either way, I'd like to buy a new better one anyway. I'd like something to power a 3570k, 1080Ti, 2 ssds and 2 HDDs, semi modular at least. I'm thinking 700w should be fine. From Amazon UK as I have gift cards for there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement