Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2, I have the 1kW version for the last 2 years, 90% efficency, not an issue with it-and it runs nice and quiet. Not the cheapest, but excellent warranty & RMA process if you do have issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0100QRVP0/ref=twister_B073ZMBQNS?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold

I paid £70 for this, but I've seen it much cheaper since. If you can pick it up cheap I would recommend it. 7 year warranty, quite and rock solid so far. I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Recommend me a good PSU? I currently have a 600w cheap yolk that has served me strong for 5 years but like the poster above I think it's causing me issues now. Either way, I'd like to buy a new better one anyway. I'd like something to power a 3570k, 1080Ti, 2 ssds and 2 HDDs, semi modular at least. I'm thinking 700w should be fine. From Amazon UK as I have gift cards for there.
    Corsair CSM or RMx series.
    Former is cheap but very good.
    Latter is amazing and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Finally gone all solid state for storage and it weird. I'm getting like a phantom HDD sound - I know it's not there really but when I'm doing intensive SSD stuff I can almost hear the old click click click.

Accidentally bought a PM961 256GB rather than the SM, still it's being used on PCIe 2.0 so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

All SSD is the business.

Never really appreciated it either. At the time it was mostly from a silence point of view, but then recently getting some multiplayer games setup I'd be surprised how long games are taking for others to load. We play a lot of early access games, so "Did it crash again or something?" "No? It's still loading" type scenarios are common.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just twigged that my RAM is only running at 2,133MHZ. Upped it to just under 3,000MHZ in the BIOS. I would have thought the system would have chosen the higher speed by default.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Would I notice much difference going from a 4790K (stock) to a 6600K or do I need to wait a while and look for a second hand 7700 or 8700?

Decided I'm not buying new anymore - see how long that lasts.

Main issue is low frame rates in Warhammer II. GPU is a watercooled 1080@2Ghz 3440x1440

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just twigged that my RAM is only running at 2,133MHZ. Upped it to just under 3,000MHZ in the BIOS. I would have thought the system would have chosen the higher speed by default.

No that's what the XMP profile is for. Afair your on a Ryzen system it's the same on Intel also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No that's what the XMP profile is for. Afair your on a Ryzen system it's the same on Intel also.

Oh? What did I change on my BIOS if the speed hasn't increased?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Oh? What did I change on my BIOS if the speed hasn't increased?

I have no idea how to change the speeds on your system. I'm sure there are guides online. I could tell you how to do it on my system. But I have no experience with a modern bios. I'm still rocking a X58 system. My next system will be a Ryzen. It was going to be Ryzen+ but I will most likely wait it out for Ryzen 2.

• Advertisement

I have no idea how to change the speeds on your system. I'm sure there are guides online. I could tell you how to do it on my system. But I have no experience with a modern bios. I'm still rocking a X58 system. My next system will be a Ryzen. It was going to be Ryzen+ but I will most likely wait it out for Ryzen 2.

Ah right. I've a Ryzen and an ASRock Pro4.

I changed the RAM Speed from Auto to XMP 2.0 Profile 1. There was a list of speeds but given that my RAM says 3,000 MHZ on the box I picked the nearest equivalent which was just under 3,000.

I would have thought that at Auto, it'd have picked the best speed.

H. H. Asquith

Another question if I may. 10Ghz vs 11Ghz memory on a 1080 - any difference?

Edit: Apart from 1Ghz :pac:

Ah right. I've a Ryzen and an ASRock Pro4.

I changed the RAM Speed from Auto to XMP 2.0 Profile 1. There was a list of speeds but given that my RAM says 3,000 MHZ on the box I picked the nearest equivalent which was just under 3,000.

I would have thought that at Auto, it'd have picked the best speed.

No auto will default to the auto speed. I'm not up to date will all speed CPU's and DDR4 are rated for but for my system the RAM is rated for 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 but if you plug it into the system it will run at 1333MHz and far looser timings. You have to go into the bios and change it. Since I am running a Xeon X5660 the XMP profile does not work so I manually set the speed and timings myself which is probably the best way even on your system to fine tune it yourself to eek out the max performance as all silicon is different.

No auto will default to the auto speed. I'm not up to date will all speed CPU's and DDR4 are rated for but for my system the RAM is rated for 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 but if you plug it into the system it will run at 1333MHz and far looser timings. You have to go into the bios and change it. Since I am running a Xeon X5660 the XMP profile does not work so I manually set the speed and timings myself which is probably the best way even on your system to fine tune it yourself to eek out the max performance as all silicon is different.

Thanks. The BIOS is where I changed it. I didn't touch voltages or 7-7-7-20, whatever that is. Just the speed.

H. H. Asquith

Thanks. The BIOS is where I changed it. I didn't touch voltages or 7-7-7-20, whatever that is. Just the speed.

Timings.

Timings.

I see. The learning never seems to stop with this.

H. H. Asquith

I see. The learning never seems to stop with this.

There's another set of timings after that lot too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Just a quick question,

Thinking of installing an SSD on my Compaq CQ5305UK. What is the best procedure?

Should i reinstall windows or clone my old drive?

Thanks

Never heard of cloning drives. Maybe a fresh install with any essential files backed up before hand.

H. H. Asquith

Just a quick question,

Thinking of installing an SSD on my Compaq CQ5305UK. What is the best procedure?

Should i reinstall windows or clone my old drive?

Thanks

You can just clone it with macrium reflect but if it's been more than 6 months since a fresh install you'll get a nice boost from the SSD plus a boost from a fresh install.

Not sure that machine will benefit hugely from an SSD but hey you always have it for a new machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

You can just clone it with macrium reflect but if it's been more than 6 months since a fresh install you'll get a nice boost from the SSD plus a boost from a fresh install.

Not sure that machine will benefit hugely from an SSD but hey you always have it for a new machine.

I have had this PC for 8 years and havent reinstalled windows once.

Is it difficult to reinstall windows and how should i do it to an ssd?

Thanks

Thanks

Use a memory stick:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

No, reinstalling is simple via the usb method.

Just make sure to backup all your files etc first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Thanks
    If you're installing windows on the ssd make sure you have your other drives disconnected while doing the install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    £25: Arctic Freezer i32, Raijintek Themis.
    £30: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE if you want colour.
    £30-35: Cooler Master Hyper 412S, Scythe Mugen 4 for silence.
    Went ahead and ordered the 412S on Amazon. Two days later I was just checking it again and realised I'd made a horrible noob error. My Carbide 88r only has room for a 150mm cooler and the 412S is 160mm. Me being the utter skinflint that I am chose free delivery so it hadn't shipped and managed to cancel it in time. Ordered a Noctua NH-L9x65 instead has good reviews hope does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Joshua J wrote: »
    Went ahead and ordered the 412S on Amazon. Two days later I was just checking it again and realised I'd made a horrible noob error. My Carbide 88r only has room for a 150mm cooler and the 412S is 160mm. Me being the utter skinflint that I am chose free delivery so it hadn't shipped and managed to cancel it in time. Ordered a Noctua NH-L9x65 instead has good reviews hope does the job.
    It happens.

I made a similar mistake; had to sell my trusty SilentiumPC Fortis 3 as its heatpipe shape interfered with LGA-2011-3 RAM slots on mATX boards.
    Replaced it with a Noctua NH-U14S -- which interferes with the top PCI-e slot in horizontal position... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Thinking about making a cheap build with the new Ryzen 3 2200g. It looks like a steal price/performance wise. I was reading online that most compatible motherboards will require a BIOS update to work with it. I don't have another Ryzen CPU to use to update the mobo, does anyone know anywhere I could buy a motherboard where it would definitely have the BIOS updated and work with the 2200g out of the box? I saw some kits on Amazon where they are selling the 2200g along with a mobo, but they seem to be charging above the cost of the two items separately, and there's no mention of whether the BIOS is updated or not.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Thinking about making a cheap build with the new Ryzen 3 2200g. It looks like a steal price/performance wise. I was reading online that most compatible motherboards will require a BIOS update to work with it. I don't have another Ryzen CPU to use to update the mobo, does anyone know anywhere I could buy a motherboard where it would definitely have the BIOS updated and work with the 2200g out of the box? I saw some kits on Amazon where they are selling the 2200g along with a mobo, but they seem to be charging above the cost of the two items separately, and there's no mention of whether the BIOS is updated or not.

https://www.techpowerup.com/241356/asrock-outs-am4-motherboard-raven-ridge-bios-updates-amd-standardizes-new-label

But I suppose it's hard to know if the board is the updated one when you buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It happens.

I made a similar mistake; had to sell my trusty SilentiumPC Fortis 3 as its heatpipe shape interfered with LGA-2011-3 RAM slots on mATX boards.
    Replaced it with a Noctua NH-U14S -- which interferes with the top PCI-e slot in horizontal position... :pac:
    It's a fooking minefield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Does anyone here have a Corsair K70 wrist rest they don't use that is willing to sell? The little plastic tabs are gone on mine and
    the wrist rest moves forward after using for a bit and then snags the space bar and bottom row of keys-very annoying.

Corsair store don't ship to Ireland, no reply to support ticket; none available on amazon or flea bay either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement