Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

glynf wrote: »
    Does anyone here have a Corsair K70 wrist rest they don't use that is willing to sell? The little plastic tabs are gone on mine and
    the wrist rest moves forward after using for a bit and then snags the space bar and bottom row of keys-very annoying.

Corsair store don't ship to Ireland, no reply to support ticket; none available on amazon or flea bay either.

Found some on ebay, pricey but.
    18$ + 9$ shipping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Squaredude wrote: »
    If you're installing windows on the ssd make sure you have your other drives disconnected while doing the install

Why is that? I'd both my SSD and HD connected and have no issues that I am aware of.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Why is that? I'd both my SSD and HD connected and have no issues that I am aware of.

Probably incase Windows gets installed on the wrong drive/overwrites data? Not sure, I always leave all drives connected myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Inviere wrote: »
    Probably incase Windows gets installed on the wrong drive/overwrites data? Not sure, I always leave all drives connected myself.

Same here. Well, the one time. I just picked the SSD (after some drama where I'd put it in the wrong M.2 slot!) and ploughed on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Same here. Well, the one time. I just picked the SSD (after some drama where I'd put it in the wrong M.2 slot!) and ploughed on.

I remember in the past (in an HTPC), I'd have about six hdd's all connected. They'd all be the same brand & size...& five of them would be for media, and one for an OS. When it came time for a fresh install, I'd always disconnect the five media drives just in case...as it was hard to distinguish which was which in Windows setup when they were all the same brand/size.

• Advertisement

I remember in the past (in an HTPC), I'd have about six hdd's all connected. They'd all be the same brand & size...& five of them would be for media, and one for an OS. When it came time for a fresh install, I'd always disconnect the five media drives just in case...as it was hard to distinguish which was which in Windows setup when they were all the same brand/size.

Ahh... I'd just the M.2 SSD and a HDD. Simple enough choice. I suppose the price of the SSD would limit the capacity you'd get but choosing between 5 isn't ideal.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thinking of deliding my 4790K anyone here done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mPGM7vY.png

Initial OC results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Your not pushing it very hard. I'm pretty sure they hit 4.2GHz very easily and even higher if you add a bit more volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Lads anyone know anything about Bluetooth earphones? I picked up a pair of Crivit wireless earphones for 25 quid as they're on sale in Lidl this week. Paired up no problem but any time I transmit audio there is an audible type of static sound that starts about half a second before the audio plays, and stops about half a second after the audio stops. It actually continues throughout the audio but is hard to hear then as the actual audio is playing too. The audio itself is pretty clear but I have to say the static(y) sound is not nice to listen to.

Keep in mind this is a brand new phone and it doesn't have this issue with normal earphones. Should I test this on another phone? Is this normal with Bluetooth earphones? Is it normal on cheapo ones? What say ye?

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    Lads anyone know anything about Bluetooth earphones? I picked up a pair of Crivit wireless earphones for 25 quid as they're on sale in Lidl this week. Paired up no problem but any time I transmit audio there is an audible type of static sound that starts about half a second before the audio plays, and stops about half a second after the audio stops. It actually continues throughout the audio but is hard to hear then as the actual audio is playing too. The audio itself is pretty clear but I have to say the static(y) sound is not nice to listen to.

Keep in mind this is a brand new phone and it doesn't have this issue with normal earphones. Should I test this on another phone? Is this normal with Bluetooth earphones? Is it normal on cheapo ones? What say ye?

I'd say that's just normal behaviour for cheap BT headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd say that's just normal behaviour for cheap BT headphones.

That's a pity, I usually rate Lidl gear as decent. The way these are currently makes them annoying to use, and earphones are pretty black and white for me - they work or they don't.

Your not pushing it very hard. I'm pretty sure they hit 4.2GHz very easily and even higher if you add a bit more volts.

Yup, I'll try for higher later in the week.

For now though - had to get a GTX 970 as that was the only reasonably priced card I could find.
    €255 delivered :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

If installing windows 10 with more than one drive connected,a system reserved partition will be installed on the second disc. If you disconnect that drive, say a 1GB storage HDD, from your machine and leave only your SSD, the PC wont boot.

See here : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3489331/windows-boot-removing-hard-drive-windows.html

Pain in the f-ing hole.

I never saw anything about that when I was doing research. I just chose my SSD and ploughed on. Is it hard to rectify? I'll read the link when I've a bit more time.

H. H. Asquith

jebidiah wrote: »
    If installing windows 10 with more than one drive connected,a system reserved partition will be installed on the second disc. If you disconnect that drive, say a 1GB storage HDD, from your machine and leave only your SSD, the PC wont boot.

See here : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3489331/windows-boot-removing-hard-drive-windows.html

Pain in the f-ing hole.

Never knew that either! Bit of a pain. When it comes time to reinstall, is there a way to remove the system partition from a 2nd drive without losing the contents of that drive?

Never knew that either! Bit of a pain. When it comes time to reinstall, is there a way to remove the system partition from a 2nd drive without losing the contents of that drive?

I'm hoping to avoid a reinstall. I'll have a look at the link later as I am in a bit of a rush.

H. H. Asquith

I'm hoping to avoid a reinstall. I'll have a look at the link later as I am in a bit of a rush.

Ah yeah, I'll be waiting until such time as I'd be doing it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Has any one installed the most recent Nvidia drivers? 391.01?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Weird. I installed windows 10 on my ssd with all other drives connected. No other drive was touched by it. You can see in disk management what partitions are set up, only the ssd has a system reserved partition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Has any one installed the most recent Nvidia drivers? 391.01?

Yeah I have them installed. Noticed an increase in FPS in PUBG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

superg wrote: »
    Weird. I installed windows 10 on my ssd with all other drives connected. No other drive was touched by it. You can see in disk management what partitions are set up, only the ssd has a system reserved partition.

I think what happens is Windows likes to make a reserved partition on drive 0
    If you connect your SSD to the port matching drive 0 on your motherboard then it's not an issue but if you have a storage drive on this port and the SSD on port 1 then window installer will attempt to make a reserved partition on the storage drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SickBoy wrote: »
    I think what happens is Windows likes to make a reserved partition on drive 0
    If you connect your SSD to the port matching drive 0 on your motherboard then it's not an issue but if you have a storage drive on this port and the SSD on port 1 then window installer will attempt to make a reserved partition on the storage drive.

Windows doesnt care about SATA enumeration like that.

Ah yeah, I'll be waiting until such time as I'd be doing it anyway

This is what I have. Think I am ok as there doesn't seem to be anything reserved on my HDD:

443656.JPG

H. H. Asquith

Windows wouldn't install for me with the HDDs connected. Dunno why - just wouldn't install on the SSD. Pulled the HDD connections and Bimbo, worked like a charm.

I would have thought that one of the PC build guides would have mentioned this.

H. H. Asquith

Can the windows image be put on an external HDD for install? I've got an issue with a machine I've sold and I'm being told they've downloaded the surface recovery image and installed it off a HDD (back on to the surface).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I think my PC and RAM are in dire need of an upgrade. Nearing 90% RAM usage + 70% CPU when browsing and 90%+ on both when playing games. i5 3470 and 8Gb DDR3, you’ve served me well.

Thinking of going for the i5 7500, 16Gb DDR4 and the B250m motherboard. Reckon it’ll do me for the next few years? Playing games such as R6 siege, overwatch, AC: Origins etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Get a Ryzen but if you are set on Intel get a coffee lake 8000 series.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement