Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Get a Ryzen but if you are set on Intel get a coffee lake 8000 series.

i5 8400 or the Ryzen 5 1600(x)? Both similarly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

i5 8400 or the Ryzen 5 1600(x)? Both similarly priced.

I'd go with the Ryzen due to the fact there are no cheap motherboards available for the coffee lake 8400 yet only high end boards that enable overclocking but the 8400 is not an overclockable chip so waste of money. They will be available some time this year but high end, mid range and low end boards are all available for the Ryzen chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I'd go with the Ryzen due to the fact there are no cheap motherboards available for the coffee lake 8400 yet only high end boards that enable overclocking but the 8400 is not an overclockable chip so waste of money. They will be available some time this year but high end, mid range and low end boards are all available for the Ryzen chips.

Thanks for that. Will pick up the Ryzen! The B350 line of motherboards a decent bet?

Thanks for that. Will pick up the Ryzen! The B350 line of motherboards a decent bet?

They are good. They are the mid range boards but you can still overclock with them if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The other option is get an i7-3770 for €120 2nd hand. Still a very good CPU and saves you a ton of hassle and you can stick with your current ram for now, upgrade to 16GB when you want to, or find a good deal on a 2nd hand set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

My rig is almost a year old im thinking of giving it a spring clean out when I say clean and reinstalling everything. L

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

With the price of GPUs at the sec, I'm debating adding a second GTX 970 for SLI as a cheap upgrade until GPU prices come back down. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

L wrote: »
    With the price of GPUs at the sec, I'm debating adding a second GTX 970 for SLI as a cheap upgrade until GPU prices come back down. Thoughts?

Depends on the scaling in the games you're playing. The 980ti can be got for quite a reasonable sum and the 970 sold for what I think is silly money.

Bad idea. They still go for around €200 and in a huge number of games Sli is broken/scales badly.

Unless you picked one up for half nothing (and you won't) it's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What mode should the CPU Voltage be in once I have a stable overclock? Fixed, offset or adaptive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Not that I am a regular around these parts, but thought I'd share my sense of joy with those who might understand it best.

Backstory is I got my PC part recommendations in this forum towards the end of 2011 and the PC that I built has been going strong ever since. With the trusty i5 2500k, I can still play many games at not too crazy a res, with Fortnite having pulled me back into night-time gaming sessions as of late.

Disaster struck the other day, with not an ounce of power when I pressed the on button. I tried the usual, swap ram, clear CMOS etc., but nothing worked. I then stripped the PC down and the darn thing powered up when out of the case. Long story short, the issue was my own doing from building it back in 2011, when I didn't fit the motherboard risers. Rookie mistake, but I still had the originals and then fitted them which stopped it shorting. Further disaster struck after this however, as while it was powering on, I had no display. I checked the on-board debug indicator, which pointed towards ram, which in turn pointed towards the CPU. It turns out at some point when fixing the first issue, I damaged 3 or 4 of the CPU springs. I have fixed old school CPU pins back in the day, but the CPU springs are on a another level. After looking at YouTube, I decided to give it a go with my phone as a microscope and a needle nose tweezers. Don't ask me how, but it bloody worked and after fitting the CPU back in, it booted without issue. I have put a few screengrabs below of how it looks on the phone, but no way did I think I'd get it back up and running, so I am pretty chuffed.

444953.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Since I built my rig last year I've always found that the mouse and keyboard (and other USB devices) don't register until maybe 30 seconds after booting to my desktop. Is there a reason for this?

I've tried all the ports on my rear I/O and its the same regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

jebidiah wrote: »
    Since I built my rig last year I've always found that the mouse and keyboard (and other USB devices) don't register until maybe 30 seconds after booting to my desktop. Is there a reason for this?

I've tried all the ports on my rear I/O and its the same regardless.

Check if it happens when you boot in safe mode - I've seen similar lag problems related to a software conflict (often caused by the apps your mouse/keyboard maker asks you to install). Get rid of the software causing the conflict and it'll go away.

Check if it happens when you boot in safe mode - I've seen similar lag problems related to a software conflict (often caused by the apps your mouse/keyboard maker asks you to install). Get rid of the software causing the conflict and it'll go away.

Will try when I get home, but I don't have specific software for my KB/mouse

jebidiah wrote: »
    Will try when I get home, but I don't have specific software for my KB/mouse

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

Ryzen 5 1600 and a gigabyte AB350M (gaming 3). It's been a persistant thing through 3 BIOS versions too.

I see my keyboard light up on power up and can hear a sound from my headphones. Then then they go dead and about 20-30 seconds after getting to Windows I hear the sound again and the keyboard and mouse start working

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I didn't get a Friday date so instead I ran benchmarks :pac:

https://valid.x86.fr/556b18

Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4376.17 MHz (1.228Vcore)

EVGA GTX 970 SC @ 1496MHz core

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I didn't get a Friday date so instead I ran benchmarks :pac:

https://valid.x86.fr/556b18

Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4376.17 MHz (1.228Vcore)

EVGA GTX 970 SC @ 1496MHz core

Not bad. Only running dual channel though.

Not bad. Only running dual channel though.

DDR4

No way can I afford quad-channel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm kinda surprised, but then again, quad-channel RAM doesn't offer much real-world benefits over dual-channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

hope this can be posted here, so basically have z97 msi gaming 7 mobo, and its cpu socket is 1150, ive gotten it about 2yrs ago now, but i wonder was that crucial mistake ive made since it cost fair bit of cash, but when i look at cpu options many that support that socket are already surpassed by couple generations to say the least.

Now mobo has loads of OC options which i currently optimized for few years on dual core to run it at 4ghz cpu that costs 50e, and its still pulling enough for work needed to be done.but im way overdue for upgrade and looking at 1150 socket CPUs top end ones cost 300+ either xeon or i7-k, so really a bit lost since seing ryzen and x99 or whatever is there now feel a bit like a sucker.

thou main question if upgrading to one of those mentioned would i be able to pull it off for another say 5 years, since i play light games RC,CS but id imagine it will be year or so when it wont push even them games, rest of parts are ssd drives 8gb mem and outdated gpu which is another hit on the pocket to get back into place where pc could pull current games ? just general question for others who would have same socket.
    since usually spend couple hundred each year to upgrade one part or another or get periperhals needed, but cpu+mobo seems hard hit to justify when seeing used options selling complete pc's for same price on adverts and the like.

scamalert wrote: »
    hope this can be posted here, so basically have z97 msi gaming 7 mobo, and its cpu socket is 1150, ive gotten it about 2yrs ago now, but i wonder was that crucial mistake ive made since it cost fair bit of cash, but when i look at cpu options many that support that socket are already surpassed by couple generations to say the least.

Now mobo has loads of OC options which i currently optimized for few years on dual core to run it at 4ghz cpu that costs 50e, and its still pulling enough for work needed to be done.but im way overdue for upgrade and looking at 1150 socket CPUs top end ones cost 300+ either xeon or i7-k, so really a bit lost since seing ryzen and x99 or whatever is there now feel a bit like a sucker.

thou main question if upgrading to one of those mentioned would i be able to pull it off for another say 5 years, since i play light games RC,CS but id imagine it will be year or so when it wont push even them games, rest of parts are ssd drives 8gb mem and outdated gpu which is another hit on the pocket to get back into place where pc could pull current games ? just general question for others who would have same socket.
    since usually spend couple hundred each year to upgrade one part or another or get periperhals needed, but cpu+mobo seems hard hit to justify when seeing used options selling complete pc's for same price on adverts and the like.

You can find used Xeons for less:
    1231v3 - €186
    1230v3 - €163
    But yeah - you got hit by the Intel socket tax :pac:

No need to feel like a sucker. An i7-4770 or 4790 or equivalent Xeon is still very powerful by 2018 standards and will be for years. It's easy to pick the i7-4770 or 4790 for about €160-180 on Adverts or elsewhere if you wait for a decent deal.

There is no need to upgrade the motherboard whatsoever.

thx guys for the opinion. Not really mad into gaming titles but theres still always an itch to have system that's up to date.and good to know to look at second hand options for cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Hoping we've seen peak gpu prices now and think a lot of miners are gonna be out a few quid. Per bargain alert £299 for an RX580 8GB with folk on adverts looking €460 for the 4GB version. Mad money.

GTX 980 Ti downgrade to GTX 970, can't even get 120fps on Overwatch Medium settings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

GTX 980 Ti downgrade to GTX 970, can't even get 120fps on Overwatch Medium settings :(

Put as many post processing effects off as possible. No AA for example. Lowering shadows tends to be a huge thing, too.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Hoping we've seen peak gpu prices now and think a lot of miners are gonna be out a few quid. Per bargain alert £299 for an RX580 8GB with folk on adverts looking €460 for the 4GB version. Mad money.
    wonder is there any studies done how much wear mining would done damage on gpus ? since max loads temps for 6-9 months 24/7 doesn't seem like easy wear.

Put as many post processing effects off as possible. No AA for example. Lowering shadows tends to be a huge thing, too.

I suspect it was a software thing; uninstalled some programs that might have been interfering & getting a good 140-180fps now.

But my PC woes aren't over yet ; for some reason I'm only seeing 8Gb RAM instead of 16.
    The weird thing is, CPU-Z shows both sticks as being 8Gb & it's running in dual-channel.
    When I go into BIOS, it also sees both sticks - but for some reason only 8Gb is seen! :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I suspect it was a software thing; uninstalled some programs that might have been interfering & getting a good 140-180fps now.

Ah yeah, always a good idea to keep your system as empty as possible. CCleaner and disabling the crazy amount of startup services is mandatory tbh. You wouldn't beleive how many update and monitoring 'services' load up, sit around and do absolutely nothing but bloat your machine.
    and spy on you
    hen I go into BIOS, it also sees both sticks - but for some reason only 8Gb is seen!
    So what isn't seeing the RAM?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement