Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ah yeah, always a good idea to keep your system as empty as possible. CCleaner and disabling the crazy amount of startup services is mandatory tbh. You wouldn't beleive how many update and monitoring 'services' load up, sit around and do absolutely nothing but bloat your machine.
    and spy on you

Any other Hyperbole from a decade ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Any other Hyperbole from a decade ago?

Nope sorry to dissapoint. Have a Thomas The Tank Engine sock inside out instead.

wmwTWVM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So what isn't seeing the RAM?

It's weird, BIOS is reporting that there's only 8Gb available - but also that it can see both sticks.

It might be the XMP profile ; G.Skill suggest I try to clear CMOS first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

have u checked ur manual that ram are sitting in right slots for dual setup, know its newbie question but some people miss it.since some Mb have it left to right or wise wersa when skipping slots.

not familiar with xmp but have read that it causes many issues, first to rule out ram would test each stick separately, disable xmp, lookup for latest bios updates, read up forums who have similar setup and if they had similar issues.

or if want to skip that burn linux image onto usb mint or whatever see what shows up there, just to rule out some issue with windows.
    clearing cmos is no harm either as its fast and simple process,as doing above.

just googled term xmp ram shows up online half memory got like dozen pages- issues from faulty stick, misplaced stick since xmp needs at least 1600mhz,1333 wont cut it, checking voltages, decreasing speeds, some went as far as to resit cpu multiple times before it showed up, smth to do with memory controller,some Mbs dont support certain memory as g.skill even thou they claim they do. anyway just in case above doesnt help, as pc enthusiast hate such issues but its nice to know when you work out such issues ;)

Well then!

I seem to have fixed it by switching the RAM modules into slots A+C (despite the manual saying to use B+D).

Will run Memtest86 overnight.

• Advertisement

MemTest86 reports 0 errors.

Time to stop worrying about this machine & await GTX 2070

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    MemTest86 reports 0 errors.

Time to stop worrying about this machine & await GTX 2070

Enjoy your 970! I'm loving mine and I am really glad I opted for it rather than overpaying at the time (though under paying by today's prices) for a 1060 or 580. Obviously I'd prefer to have a newer gpu but for 1080p it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's ThinkPads that are the recommended general use laptops round here aren't they? Have a budget of round €800

jebidiah wrote: »
    Enjoy your 970! I'm loving mine and I am really glad I opted for it rather than overpaying at the time (though under paying by today's prices) for a 1060 or 580. Obviously I'd prefer to have a newer gpu but for 1080p it's great
    I had a 980 Ti until I killed it :(
    It's ThinkPads that are the recommended general use laptops round here aren't they? Have a budget of round €800
    https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/wiki/index#wiki_laptop_recommendation_guide
    https://sites.google.com/view/trueflametech/free-stuff/used-thinkpad-buyers-guide

Yes.
    Models up to the (x)20 series have the old, god-tier keyboards.
    Models in the (x)30 have the new-style keyboards but (usually) still sport full-wattage CPUs.
    Avoid the (x)40 series as they had a horrible trackpad (no dedicated buttons)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Well then!

I seem to have fixed it by switching the RAM modules into slots A+C (despite the manual saying to use B+D).

Will run Memtest86 overnight.
    looked at mine and its B+D but its only 4gbx2 sticks and no xmp.

thou you got me confused there with 2070 gtx thought loosing track of the cards now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Got a new 8600K OEM....arrived in a box with foam on top and bottom....but with nothing on the sides.

Result - got bashed in transit and arrived this morning with a bent corner. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

So this isn't great news. AMD chip vulnerabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

L wrote: »
    So this isn't great news. AMD chip vulnerabilities.

That is pure bullshít. The way the attacks supposedly work mean Intel are vulnerable as well. They also only gave AMD 24 hours noticed which is very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That is pure bullsh The way the attacks supposedly work mean Intel are vulnerable as well. They also only gave AMD 24 hours noticed which is very unusual.

I can't wait for their next scathing piece on home security company's.

We found serious vulnerabilities with the "House Watch" company.

One such vulnerability we have named "BrokenWatch", we found that when supplied with keys and the security codes, users could enter freely without detection.

We firmly recommend that any shares in HouseWatch be sold** and that users should seek alternative products where possible.

**We may have a financial or vested interest in the sale of shares of Housewatch or its direct competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

It's being called a hit piece by news outlets:

Huh, good to know. I was visualizing my ryzen build plans going up in smoke :D

I had a 980 Ti until I killed it :(

How did you kill it?

I OC'd my 970 last week just to see. Dialed in a modest overclock based on multiple threads and videos on the subject. I also pushed a little further in increments to see how far it would go.

It didn't crash, but I began to notice artifacts playing pubg, so I dialed it back and all was good. Now however, I can kind of notice brief flashes of black triangles from time to time when playing pubg, but with the OC disable.

Is it just my imagination? Could I have damaged the card by OCing even though it never crashed the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Got a new 8600K OEM....arrived in a box with foam on top and bottom....but with nothing on the sides.

Result - got bashed in transit and arrived this morning with a bent corner. :mad:

I shed a tear reading this .

A few years back I was cleaning a chip after changing the cooling fan and I dropped it , bent two pins . Shed a few tears back then as well . Anyways I got a tweezers and tried to straighten them , first one went back ok but just as I got the second one straight up ....it snapped off . I came on here looking for sympathy and someone suggested throwing it on to the board and see what happens . Threw it in , booted up the pc ...... and it ran, seemingly without issue, for about another year .

I didn't drop it but the cooler on an FX-9370 came loose in a PC in transit once, and pulled out the CPU and obviously kept banging it around the socket.

Result, I lost about a stone in sweat as I painstakingly had to straighten out about two dozen bent pins using a needle, credit card, tweezers, etc.

Amazingly it went well and every pin was accounted for but it was torture.

The 8600K was brand new so I didn't even bother testing it, sent it back for a replacement. Bit surprised a company would send a naked CPU without a clamshell holder if they're not going to bother using molded foam. I doubt it was their first return.

Part of the reason I prefer Intel CPU's is the fact that they're bulletproof compared to AMD CPU's!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah jaysus, you're triggering memories of my ordeal trying to fit my CPU cooler. It was almost enough to make me pay through the nose at a PC repair place to get it fitted. :o

• Advertisement

How did you kill it?

I OC'd my 970 last week just to see. Dialed in a modest overclock based on multiple threads and videos on the subject. I also pushed a little further in increments to see how far it would go.

It didn't crash, but I began to notice artifacts playing pubg, so I dialed it back and all was good. Now however, I can kind of notice brief flashes of black triangles from time to time when playing pubg, but with the OC disable.

Is it just my imagination? Could I have damaged the card by OCing even though it never crashed the system?

Took the cooler off & fitted a 120mm AIO ; I'm not sure what went wrong but i couldn't get a signal when I plugged it in.

Hmmmm.....this seems like pretty good news. Mining power of over almost 150 Vega 64's in one unit!

https://overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/bitmain_has_created_a_cryptonight_mining_asic_-_the_antminer_x3/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Hmmmm.....this seems like pretty good news. Mining power of over almost 150 Vega 64's in one unit!

https://overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/bitmain_has_created_a_cryptonight_mining_asic_-_the_antminer_x3/1

It would be astounding news if Monero wasn't already planning an algorithm-changing update at the end of March. If it works well then every other CryptoNight-based crypto will eventually integrate the new algo to remain decentralised.

Monero will be updating their algorithms twice a year from now on to avoid the threat of ASICs.

In true Bitmain style it's also likely they've been using these machines for the past few months themselves and have only started to sell them now as news of the algo-change surfaced. They tend to do the same with their Bitcoin ASICs until difficulty spikes.

Friend is looking to build a video editing computer for 4K footage. Any key components for that kind of machine?

Do I need a new processor?
    GPU?
    16gb plus of ram?

Id imagine a used business computer with an i7 and ddr3 ram would probably be cheaper than an new Ryzen based rig, especially if a GPU is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

What would be better for photoshop, i3 8100 or ryzen 3 1200?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

The i3-8100 would probably get the upper hand in IPC, which works in Ps' favour, given its mainly single/lightly-threaded nature.

If you don't plan on upgrading to an unlocked CPU in the future, an i3-8100 and a H/B-series board will do you fine. It isn't much pricier than the Ryzen either.

The i3-8100 is better but the problem is there are no cheap motherboards for Coffee Lake, only Z370, the cheapest of which is about €110.

Whereas you can get an A320M board for the 1200 for just €50.

So for the cost of i3-8100 (4c/4t) + Z370, you could get a Ryzen 1600 (6c/12t) + A320M. Having said that the i3-8100 would likely still be better purely for that use due to the better performance per core.

Friend is looking to build a video editing computer for 4K footage. Any key components for that kind of machine?

Do I need a new processor?
    GPU?
    16gb plus of ram?

Id imagine a used business computer with an i7 and ddr3 ram would probably be cheaper than an new Ryzen based rig, especially if a GPU is required?
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting

Intel seems to be preferred for its higher clockspeeds/IPC but Ryzen 7 offers more cores for the same money.

GPU doesn't need to be powerful UNLESS the software is very dependant on hardware acceleration.

RAM: the more, the better.

===
    BUDGET, USED OPTION:
    Look into getting an old 6-core (or more) Xeon - ECC DDR3 RAM is at amazingly low prices (e.g. 32Gb for €120!) so can offset the price of the motherboard/CPU. Youtuber TechYesCity is your go-to for this kind of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

The i3-8100 is better but the problem is there are no cheap motherboards for Coffee Lake, only Z370, the cheapest of which is about €110.

Didn't realise that only Z370 boards are available for CFL as of now :P!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

So laptop blue screened out of nowhere yesterday. After reboot and logging in it quickly blue screened again, didn't manage to take a pic of the QR code it gave me. It seems to be booting up now but screen is staying black and if I plug in a monitor it just says there's no signal going to it. Anyone got any ideas what the cause could be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement