Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Discord refuses to fully load on my newfangled Yoga 920. I tried restarting, changing the name of "Update.exe" to "Update1.exe", and reinstalling, all of which resulted in no success. My brother fixed the internet connection on my laptop yesterday, which had something to do with the proxy server.

Along with that, OneNote claims that I've no internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Bazzo wrote: »
    So laptop blue screened out of nowhere yesterday. After reboot and logging in it quickly blue screened again, didn't manage to take a pic of the QR code it gave me. It seems to be booting up now but screen is staying black and if I plug in a monitor it just says there's no signal going to it. Anyone got any ideas what the cause could be?
    did you try safe mode,accessing event viewer and pulling error code ?

also any recent software installed, win updates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

scamalert wrote: »
    did you try safe mode,accessing event viewer and pulling error code ?

also any recent software installed, win updates ?

No new installs or updates, very out of the blue!

Can't boot in any sort of mode to pull anything as I'm not getting any sort of display, even a splash screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Any attacker gaining unauthorized administrative access would have a wide range of attacks at their disposal well beyond the exploits identified in this research.

Good response from AMD on that hit-job

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

1080Ti Finally arrived... only 8 weeks after ordering. Mother of god it's massive. I figured it'd be big... I didn't expect this (not my picture)

msi-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-trio-size-comparison-vertical.jpg

Now I just need some time to tear apart the PC, stick in the sleeved cables and the new GPU.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Used GPU benchmarks

Them prices though

GeForce.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Pc world has Hyper X pro alpha headsets for sale listed at €79.00 Shame they are not currently stocking hyperX

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent headset I use an Astro mix-amp, i was thinking of getting a pair of A40Tr's anyone got an opinion on them.

Pc world has Hyper X pro alpha headsets for sale listed at €79.00 Shame they are not currently stocking hyperX

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent headset I use an Astro mix-amp, i was thinking of getting a pair of A40Tr's anyone got an opinion on them.

MadLustEnvy's Guide
    Since people will undoubtedly pair the A40 with the Mixamp 2013 edition, the Mixamp has two presets (Media and Pro) that enhance clarity of details, greatly aiding clarity for competitive gaming. The positional cues/soundstage aren't the best, but they will perform quite well.

He scores it barely higher than the Skullcandy SLYR, which were discontinued & are available for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I've no idea of your budget but I've been using the earlier versions of these and the same microphone for years and honestly they are just perfect. Bare in mine the headphones themselves are open back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2-Headphones-Over-Ear-Cushions-Black/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521803314&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521803319&sr=8-1&keywords=vmoda+boompro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    MadLustEnvy's Guide

He scores it barely higher than the Skullcandy SLYR, which were discontinued & are available for €50.

I have a mix amp buy Astro as I like to be able to split my audio and voice meter annoys the crap out of me so i was thinking what may suit.

but Im open to suggestions
    marko93 wrote: »
    I've no idea of your budget but I've been using the earlier versions of these and the same microphone for years and honestly they are just perfect. Bare in mine the headphones themselves are open back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2-Headphones-Over-Ear-Cushions-Black/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521803314&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521803319&sr=8-1&keywords=vmoda+boompro

My Budget at a stretch would be about £120

Im not to fussed on 7.1 just as long as there good and last I might just go with a pair of hyper X :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Im well overdue an upgrade to my rig, I built it in 2013 (with help from here) and the only thing ive changed since is the GPU.

I was going to go with a new build, but from lurking the last couple of weeks the prices for GPU/RAM seem insane, is it even worth buying nowadays or should I wait a while for it to settle down? I get by with what I have now, so im in no mad rush to buy!

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I was going to go with a new build, but from lurking the last couple of weeks the prices for GPU/RAM seem insane, is it even worth buying nowadays or should I wait a while for it to settle down? I get by with what I have now, so im in no mad rush to buy!

I'm in the same boat and waiting myself. GPU and RAM prices are too high to make even a piecemeal partial upgrade tempting.

I have a mix amp buy Astro as I like to be able to split my audio and voice meter annoys the crap out of me so i was thinking what may suit.

but Im open to suggestions

My Budget at a stretch would be about £120

Im not to fussed on 7.1 just as long as there good and last I might just go with a pair of hyper X :confused:
    Ignore 7.1; it's a good way to tell that the cans are actual crap.
    A good pair of stereo cans will beat bad "7.1" any day.

Massdrop have the Sennheiser PC37x for $120 (review here)

AKG K612 Pro (€109) is another great choice, but would require a dedicated mic.

HyperX Cloud are probably the best you'll get for closed-cup, with Skullcandy SLYR as a budget option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

L wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat and waiting myself. GPU and RAM prices are too high to make even a piecemeal partial upgrade tempting.

GPU prices are "starting" to come back down. Stores have stock, still at inflated prices but prices are dropping as a result. And bitcoin, which all other coins have been linked to so far, is still dropping slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Is the ryzen 5 1400 a good processor?
    I been looking at benchmarks and it seems an i3 8100 is better even though ryzen has 8 threads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is the ryzen 5 1400 a good processor?
    I been looking at benchmarks and it seems an i3 8100 is better even though ryzen has 8 threads

Until the cheaper coffee lake motherboards are released it is not really worth it as you are spending a premium on a overclocking motherboard that will not be utilized by the i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Until the cheaper coffee lake motherboards are released it is not really worth it as you are spending a premium on a overclocking motherboard that will not be utilized by the i3.

I am actually looking at a pre built system. Both are around the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 54,191 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys can anyone recommend a small form pc/mini pc?

I want to use it as a LXC based machine with mostly Linux containers running off it

Something like a NUC etc would be cool Budget around 300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

I'd recommend Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's, Solid headphones

[HTML]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86[/HTML]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

So, clean install day today. Decided to redo the thermal paste while I was at it. Anyway, ran the W10 media creation tool, & it went like this:

Custom install
    4 hdd's present, 1 ssd for OS, 3 drives for storage...all left connected
    Delete all Drive 0 (ssd) partitions leaving Drive 0 as fresh as its going to get
    Select Drive 0 as the installation location, automated partitions are created
    Format the unallocated space on Drive 0, & proceed with installation to that location

All goes perfectly fine, & upon first boot...my old (non stock) wallpaper is still set! :confused: I had the wallpaper image file on one of the storage drives, but have completely zapped everything on the SSD. Any ideas? It's been a clean install in every other way though!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Microsoft account! These things sync now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

ED E wrote: »
    Microsoft account! These things sync now.

Aahhhhhh! :) Much thankings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Cat5e == 1Gb/s each way right? upload/download

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Yes.
    If you're having speed issues check what the ports are on your switch/router.
    A lot of ISP routers have 10/100 ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Long time no see lads.

Quick question, anyone have an opinion on PCI wifi cards? Just looking for a basic one that'll do the job, finalising a custom build for someone. I was just gonna go with the first result on Amazon, an Asus model which I've used before, but just cross checking here to see if I should spend my money on something else.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless-Express-Antennas/dp/B006BSPTAQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522177164&sr=8-3&keywords=wifi+card

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I really like the look of that thing. Love that it's that thin, and they put the big ports on the back so it actually has connectivity.

Just wish there was a UK keyboard option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Gumbi wrote: »
    Long time no see lads.

Quick question, anyone have an opinion on PCI wifi cards? Just looking for a basic one that'll do the job, finalising a custom build for someone. I was just gonna go with the first result on Amazon, an Asus model which I've used before, but just cross checking here to see if I should spend my money on something else.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless-Express-Antennas/dp/B006BSPTAQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522177164&sr=8-3&keywords=wifi+card

Thanks

I have the slightly more expensive dual channel N900. Speedtest results are higher on the 5Ghz channel and in general I find it better to use that over 2.5Ghz for stationary things like PC's.

Find out if the customer has 5Ghz wifi first of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement