Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So after installing a 1080Ti, finally able to play PUBG with everything on Ultra and have >100fps and no stuttering. So there you go kids. The sad thing is the game still looks worse than most titles from the last 10 years. Even Crysis (original) looks better...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

jebidiah wrote: »
    I have the slightly more expensive dual channel N900. Speedtest results are higher on the 5Ghz channel and in general I find it better to use that over 2.5Ghz for stationary things like PC's.

Find out if the customer has 5Ghz wifi first of course.

I might grab the dual band in that case, just for safety. 2.4ghz will still probably be preferable to use because the house is fairly big; as far as I know WiFi will be supplied by a signal from a home plug, so stability takes precedence over speed in this case.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Gumbi wrote: »
    I might grab the dual band in that case, just for safety. 2.4ghz will still probably be preferable to use because the house is fairly big; as far as I know WiFi will be supplied by a signal from a home plug, so stability takes precedence over speed in this case.

Thanks.

2.5Ghz is definitely better if the router is not in the same room as the pc.
    If you're using home plug (powerline by eir?) you can just connect with an ethernet cable? No need to worry about reliability then.

If all else fails, three antennae are surely better than two! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I see Intel are pushing to make games make use of more cores. Jim from Adored TV does a good overview of it in his latest YouTube video. Finally they are doing it as it is them who will get the changes done.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I see Intel are pushing to make games make use of more cores. Jim from Adored TV does a good overview of it in his latest YouTube video. Finally they are doing it as it is them who will get the changes done.

*looks at 16 cores*

*rubs hands*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ED E wrote: »
    *looks at 16 cores*

*rubs hands*

as the warmth of running prime95 heats your house

Sure windows update does that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Skerries wrote: »
    as the warmth of running prime95 heats your house

Followed by a fireball down the hallway.

All Eyes On Rafah

New Intel vulnerability found called BranchScope. They are coming in thick and fast for both AMD and Intel these days.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/researchers_uncover_spectre-like_intel_cpu_vulnerability_called_branchscope/1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New Intel vulnerability found called BranchScope. They are coming in thick and fast for both AMD and Intel these days.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/researchers_uncover_spectre-like_intel_cpu_vulnerability_called_branchscope/1

But there haven't been any true AMD vulnerabilities.

Modding a BIOS to introduce them doesn't count. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is a really nice case with integrated AIO liquid cooler.

batman-slap-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It's a bit misleading, because obviously there are a bunch of variables that can't be accounted for:

Did the site try to dial in voltages at all, or just get something stable for benchmarks
    Is the voltage/frequency curve linear, or at lest predictable (it usually isn't)

That said, he's done the best he can with it, so hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Has anyone got any experience with Ryzen chips and memory overclocking? I've heard there have been some issues running at XMP speeds with some memory chips/motherboards.

I picked up this kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013GZ5RMQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&th=1

And this motherboard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WVFFXXL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with a Ryzen 1600.

The idea was to maximise the performance of the 1600, which I intend to overclock somewhat conservatively, shooting for about 3.6 - 3.8ghz (reason I'd prefer to do so conservatively is because it's not going to be for me and I need it to be rock rock solid).

Is it reasonable to expect 2800mhz plus from this kit with this motherboard or is it a crapshoot? Is overclocking to that extent going to be OK with that motherboard?

Sound for the input, I'm not as familiar with hardware as I used to be :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It is reasonable, in my opinion. You likely need to check the bios version. AMD + vendors made a lot of changes after launch to increase memory stability and compatibility. You should be able to get 3200 with this kit, or at worst, 3000. If you cannot after a bios flash, I would recommend contacting MSI. This specific kit is not on their compatibility list.
    Your kit: CMK8GX4M2B3200C16
    Supported kit: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK.html#support-mem-12

Edit: Also, there are guides out there for making tweaks to increase your chance of getting the memory speed up. The performance uplift is quite significant, so it is worth investing a little time into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,192 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is it possible to get a Chromium based browser like Vivaldi for example that you can sign into your google account on and therefor sync your bookmarks etc across?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Headshot wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a Chromium based browser like Vivaldi for example that you can sign into your google account on and therefor sync your bookmarks etc across?

Ill say it: Chrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,192 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ill say it: Chrome?

Nope has to be something else

Headshot wrote: »
    Nope has to be something else

Google provide those services in return for the data they mine out of Chrome. If you don't wanna give then they won't let you take I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

is upgrading Dell optiplex's the way to go now for gaming PCs ?
    Doing a browse on Ebay for parts at the moment and I can't get over the amount of them up for sale as gaming PCs.

Is it straight forward to just add a GPU or would there be issues with PSU's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

will56 wrote: »
    is upgrading Dell optiplex's the way to go now for gaming PCs ?
    Doing a browse on Ebay for parts at the moment and I can't get over the amount of them up for sale as gaming PCs.

Is it straight forward to just add a GPU or would there be issues with PSU's

It is now as you have pretty decent cards that are available in low profile and work on low wattage stock PSUs eg GTX1050 and 1050Ti.

It means you can get decent Gaming PC for small money, a 3rd gen i5 with 8GB ram and a GTX1050Ti 4GB would set you back about €350 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

watch out for the form factor as you will need the tower version in order to fit a decent GPU

Skerries wrote: »
    watch out for the form factor as you will need the tower version in order to fit a decent GPU

You can fit a GTX1050Ti in the SFF ones, which is pretty good.

Old Optiplex towers (2nd/3rd gen i5) use standard PSU's also which are easy to replace to put in better cards.

Newer ones use non-standard which makes it impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/nvidia_gt_1030_gpus_are_now_available_with_ddr4_memory/1

GT1030 now comes in DDR4 versions; a 67% drop in memory bandwidth.
    So beware if buying one for cheapo gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I see the last link posted in Bargain alerts is a 1070ti, but I also see a lot of 10+ in stock 1070ti's and pretty much for everything else(including Vega). Can't be much longer till card prices start to tank with the miners gone cause the majority of gamer's are not paying those prices.

I see the last link posted in Bargain alerts is a 1070ti, but I also see a lot of 10+ in stock 1070ti's and pretty much for everything else(including Vega). Can't be much longer till card prices start to tank with the miners gone cause the majority of gamer's are not paying those prices.

Prices are slowly creeping back towards normal which is great. Saw some 1080Ti's in stock earlier for £649 that were £849-899 a few weeks ago.

I have been keeping an eye on Vega 64's for a while and as Cuddlesworth says they have either an serious amount of stock as the have not changed from 10+ in quite some time or they are not selling them. Any gamer who payed near 1,000 sterling for a Vega 64 needs their head examined as I like Vega 64's but they are in no way worth that price. I still wouldn't pay the price they are selling for at the minute but once they drop to a reasonable level I will bite the bullet and get one. I would pay €600- 650 for one but no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I've got a ultrawide 1440p freesync monitor, but I'm not paying more then 500 Euros for a Vega at the worst. Its really a mid range gpu at the moment.

I've got a ultrawide 1440p freesync monitor, but I'm not paying more then 500 Euros for a Vega at the worst. Its really a mid range gpu at the moment.

I cannot see a 56 going that low for quite some time(months even) Maybe when the refresh happens supposedly at the 3rd or 4th quarter but I think they will be the frontier editions so not really for gamers but I could be wrong on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is pre built still the way to go for the moment?

Have a friend looking for a PC to run an oculus rift.

He priced a machine with a i7 7700,GTX 1070,16gb ddr4,1tb HDD.

€1300

I thought that wasnt a total rip off givin current pricing but would like to check if people have come accross anything better lately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement