Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is pre built still the way to go for the moment?

Have a friend looking for a PC to run an oculus rift.

He priced a machine with a i7 7700,GTX 1070,16gb ddr4,1tb HDD.

€1300

I thought that wasnt a total rip off givin current pricing but would like to check if people have come accross anything better lately

I don't check prices too regularly but a i7 7700 and GTX 1070 don't sound too good considering a 6 core i5 would more than likely be better and a 1070Ti is on sale at the moment on the bargain alerts thread.

edit: Maybe it is since the RAM has not come down in price and more than likely won't. Best thing you can do is make up a build yourself from OCUK or amazon and add shipping etc.. and compare components and see if it works out cheaper. Like if you do up a build yourself you can get a better motherboard or faster RAM and even a decent SSD. All different things to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I see the last link posted in Bargain alerts is a 1070ti

Where's this now?
    I'm in the market for the very item.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

SickBoy wrote:
    Where's this now? I'm in the market for the very item.

It was 450 sterling yesterday only. 500 today. Overclockers.co.uk

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    It was 450 sterling yesterday only. 500 today. Overclockers.co.uk

Thanks, I'll be keeping an eye on the (hopefully) downward trend in GPU prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

He priced a machine with a i7 7700,GTX 1070,16gb ddr4,1tb HDD.

€1300

Any idea where he found this , I have a lad looking to buy something pre built as well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

jonski wrote: »
    Any idea where he found this , I have a lad looking to buy something pre built as well .

No but ill ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Logitech customer care is fantastic. My G903 started to double click every so often when it shouldn't, just received a shiny new G903 and don't have to return the old one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sorry for delay but he spotted it on newegg. Not sure about the import tax situation there so told hime to check the usual uk pre built places. Likes of overclockers are pushing £1600-2k for a similar setup.

They really are gouging people at this stage.

Doesnt seem to be any value to the average conumer in the market compared to a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

My 780Ti just died. :( I'm not sure what to do with it, I mean, do I just throw it in the wheelie bin or do any people have any interest in trying to repair cards like this or take them for parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Dell have an alienware i7 8700, gtx 1070, 16gb ram, 256 gb pci ssd for €1,460. Ends today though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

justjustin wrote: »
    My 780Ti just died. :( I'm not sure what to do with it, I mean, do I just throw it in the wheelie bin or do any people have any interest in trying to repair cards like this or take them for parts?

Someone might have an interest in getting it going, there is often auctions on ebay for Parts or not working.

Is there any life in it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry for delay but he spotted it on newegg. Not sure about the import tax situation there

You'd end up paying more than you would in the UK.

If you shop around, pre-builts are not really priced that badly anymore. They are and always be in some places alright, but there's definitely decent value to be had.

Dell have an alienware i7 8700, gtx 1070, 16gb ram, 256 gb pci ssd for €1,460. Ends today though

Do you have a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

justjustin wrote: »

Probably just a cap. easily repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

14% discount code GAMEON brings it down to €1,461 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

14% discount code GAMEON brings it down to €1,461 ;)

Thanks for that!
    Thats a great price for the specs.

Dell always seem to have good prices.
    Few weeks ago they had a XPS desktop I7 8700, 8GB ram and Gtx 1060 6gb for €970!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dell always seem to have good prices.
    Few weeks ago they had a XPS desktop I7 8700, 8GB ram and Gtx 1060 6gb for €970!

They can buy in bulk. They would be one of the largest if the largest seller of pre-built systems.

Mind you they do not always have the best value though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Hi guys, couple of quick questions, I'm overclocking a Ryzen 1600 on a Tomahawk B350 board and running into some roadblocks. I have the latest BIOS on it btw.

First thing that seems to happen is that the CPU fan curve gets messed up when I set my ram above 2750mhz. So I set my ram at its rated speed of 3200mhz and the fan wants to run at max speed all the time in windows. So I go back into the BIOS and reset the curve and that fixes it. But seemingly, when I messed with any other setting subsequently the max fan setting reverted. I think I've circumvented this temporarily by setting a DC curve instead of running the basic PWM.

Now, as for the overclocking... I want to get a modest 3.7ghz clock done. I just want to confirm a few things about AMD Ryzen power plan. It's normal that my cores are reported as being at max speed always even at idle, correct? It's normal that voltage is being reported as max (~1.3v in my case) even when idling *even when all power saving features in BIOS are left on*, correct? I'm reasonably sure if these assertions, but I just want to verify my suspicions.

Finally, one thing that I can't account for seems to be different in an overclocked state: the VID goes as low as 0.4v on most cores when I'm running stock settings. They bounce around and usually one VID is reported as ~1.3v. When I overclock the VID across all cores is locked at ~1.3v. Is this normal?

TL;DR Can anyone comment on the basics of Ryzen overclocking in the sense of what my data should look like on HWInfo or some other monitoring program?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think I'm getting some dust building up inside my machine. Is it just a simple matter of taking off the side panel and using compressed air to get it out or do I need to dismantle it?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I've used compressed air to clean my PC on one occasion. I'd say you'd be fine taking off the side panel and using compressed air every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I wouldn't fully dismantle it no, maybe every few years.

I normally just whip the GPU and front grill off and go mad with an antistatic brush

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've used compressed air to clean my PC on one occasion. I'd say you'd be fine taking off the side panel and using compressed air every now and then.
    I wouldn't fully dismantle it no, maybe every few years.

I normally just whip the GPU and front grill off and go mad with an antistatic brush

Cheers. The first dust filter has caught a fair bit at this stage. I'd a quick google and the link I read was on about removing the CPU heatsink which I'm not keen on.

I'll grab some compressed air and an anti-static brush.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

By the way, anyone got any advice for cleaning monitors and keyboards?

H. H. Asquith

By the way, anyone got any advice for cleaning monitors and keyboards?

Clean your keyboard with wet wipes. A dust cloth for your monitor as sometimes those wipes can leave streaks.

Just a quick question.

I was installing some ram and seen there was a lot of dust so i used a vacuum cleaner inside the case.

It that the reason I got this message
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057857982/1/#post106604379

Hi guys, I'm trying to fix a problem for someone remotely and it's really difficult over the phone. In going to do it while sharing screen and controlling it today. The issue is, the HDMI cable isn't transmitting sound to the monitor (monitor has speakers). Picture is fine. I installed the motherboard audio driver and for now we have sound through the jack at the back and via the case jack. But nothing to the monitor.

Are there any tricks to getting sound to work over HDMI with an nVidia card (1060)? I have the latest GPU driver, the driver for the monitor is installed. That's it really, correct? As far as software goes? After that it's really just about configuring playback devices in Windows, right?

Apparently windows was reporting audio being played on that device, with nothing coming out, but I can't be sure they were looking at the correct device given it was over the phone.

If it's the case that windows reports audio on that device with no audio coming out, what should I do next? I presume the monitor model/make will appear in playback devices, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Gumbi wrote:
    Are there any tricks to getting sound to work over HDMI with an nVidia card (1060)? I have the latest GPU driver, the driver for the monitor is installed. That's it really, correct? As far as software goes? After that it's really just about configuring playback devices in Windows, right?

Do you have hdmi plugged into motherboard or GPU? Have they tried another hdmi cable in case it's faulty? Was the monitor working on another device?

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Do you have hdmi plugged into motherboard or GPU? Have they tried another hdmi cable in case it's faulty? Was the monitor working on another device?

It's definitely plugged into the GPU. No, they haven't. And no, not as far as I know. Is it reasonable to think the HDMI is faulty? I'll have to confirm visually to be sure for myself that I see windows outputting sound on the correct device, however, before relaying that line of troubleshooting. I'm hoping desperately that they didn't simply make sure it was outputting on the correct device. They did report windows to be outputting sound on something, though, and that's what makes me worried (the green bars in playback devices).

It's a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement