Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, you might just have to set the HDMI audio as default device in the sound panel. Massive pain trying to actually diagnose these things over the phone with people that are not very tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Yeah, you might just have to set the HDMI audio as default device in the sound panel. Massive pain trying to actually diagnose these things over the phone with people that are not very tech savvy.

That's in the playback devices screen? I'll do the show disabled/disconnected devices too.

What makes it worse is it's not one of those things I'm intimately familiar with, but I have no problem doing it on the fly myself... So doing it over the phone makes it turn into a massive issue.

Thanks for your help, it means a lot at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yeah in audio settings in control panel set the default playback device to be the HDMI out of the GPU.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Yeah in audio settings in control panel set the default playback device to be the HDMI out of the GPU.

I guess I'll just show disabled and disconnected devices, and test audio through each of them. It should really be as simple as that. But I'm trying to prepare contingencies too. I'll reinstall the GPU driver as well, maybe even install the next oldest driver. The monitor driver is installed too, though I suspect this is the least of my issues.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-65227/sound-samsung-monitor-speakers.html

Any chance of something like this being the issue?

I presume the comment is referring to navigating the menu of the monitor itself.

• Advertisement

http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/samsung-c24fg73-full-hd-24-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-black/344784/401.3.2#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Here is the monitor in question. I may have stumbled onto the answer... Does this even have onboard speakers???

Because when I was on the phone to them they said they were toggling speaker controls on the monitor. Is it possible that those controls were referring to sound output from somewhere other than the monitor? Like, maybe through the headphone jack on the monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

will56 wrote: »
    Someone might have an interest in getting it going, there is often auctions on ebay for Parts or not working.

Is there any life in it ?

There is some life in it, yes. Initially it was working fine for desktop usage (coding, Office, watching videos, etc) but the system would hang when I tried any games, even Factorio. Now there is artifacting on the windows boot screen and it still boots to desktop, albeit not at all usable. Fans are all still spinning fine.

Once it started artifacting, I just stopped using the PC altogether. Do you think a dodgy PSU could also cause this behaviour? I have no other parts to test at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Probably just a cap. easily repaired.

Any interest in trying? ;)

Quite the water cooling setup I've just seen over on adverts.

448251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Well, in fairness they didn't spare the tie-wraps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gumbi wrote: »
    http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/samsung-c24fg73-full-hd-24-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-black/344784/401.3.2#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Here is the monitor in question. I may have stumbled onto the answer... Does this even have onboard speakers???

Because when I was on the phone to them they said they were toggling speaker controls on the monitor. Is it possible that those controls were referring to sound output from somewhere other than the monitor? Like, maybe through the headphone jack on the monitor?

It doesn't have speakers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It may actually have speakers but they don't work as one of my monitors is like that. I should have really returned it one I bought it all those years ago but it didn't bother me at the time.

edit: That doesn't even have speakers. Also why are they using a HDMI cable and not a Display port cable as the is one in the box?

It may actually have speakers but they don't work as one of my monitors is like that. I should have really returned it one I bought it all those years ago but it didn't bother me at the time.

edit: That doesn't even have speakers. Also why are they using a HDMI cable and not a Display port cable as the is one in the box?

They're not tech savvy :P And honestly all I'm looking for is for them to feel like they got their money's worth, it doesn't have to be tuned perfectly.

They just tested the headphones in the monitor jack, and no joy. I expected it to be plug and play. But I'm going to explain on the phone that the hdmi device probably has to be manually selected as opposed to plug and play. Would this be accurate?

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated :)

Reporting back in, all sound issues fixed, it was indeed the case that the monitor doesn't have speakers, and I got audio through the headphones via the monitor too. The joys of fixing problems remotely :P

Another issue has presented itself, which an hour on the phone couldn't fix. Mic isn't working. Windows detects it, and has the green bars. Setting that as default device has no effect, doesn't work in Skype or games. Skype actually said "mic isn't working, try another one" or something like that.

That's as far as we got. It's possible the mic is broken, but I doubt it, because windows is detecting the input. My next steps would be to test an recording in the windows recording app. If that works, the issue is simply a configuration one (all drivers installed btw, MSI realtek thingy pops up and detects mic when it's input.

I wonder if this is the issue?

https://www.reddit.com/r/skype/comments/6ix72c/your_mic_isnt_working_try_a_different_one_on/

There's no reason why that would be disabled by default but you never know.

Got any other tips on what to do next?

This video just proves why I have not bothered to upgrade in about 10 years. Still rocking a X58 system with a Xeon X5660.

I am interested in a Ryzen system though but as I always said it may not be a Ryzen+ but a Ryzen 2 when they are released in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Might be best placed here.

Could anyone take a look at the below and let me know a fair price? I'm selling my HTPC as I've moved entirely to an Amazon Fire Stick and streaming, and it's so bloody good my HTPC of a number of years is now a paperweight in my house
    • Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
    • AMD A4 5300 CPU (3.4GHZ, 1MB Cache, 2 Core, HD7480D, Socket FM2, 65W, Retail Boxed)
    • LiteOn IHAS124-04 24x SATA Half Height Internal DVDRW Drive - Black
    • Cooler Master Elite 120 Advance - Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case, supports standard ATX PSU - White, USB 3.0
    • Corsair CMX4GX3M2B1600C9 XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Kit
    • WD 500GB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Green
    • ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Motherboard (Socket FM2+, AMD A88X, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Mini ITX, 1x PCI Express 3.0 x16, A-Style)

I know how much it cost me, and I know what the minimum I'd take is, just interested to see the ballpark figures.

That was the original build and only thing I've added is an SSD and another HDD.

Only does 720p, but for about 4 years was perfect. Primarily ran kodi along with addons and downloading and what not.

Crazy how this change over to the FireTV has made my entire downloading setup perfected over 8 years, immediately redundant :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    Might be best placed here.

Could anyone take a look at the below and let me know a fair price? I'm selling my HTPC as I've moved entirely to an Amazon Fire Stick and streaming, and it's so bloody good my HTPC of a number of years is now a paperweight in my house
    • Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
    • AMD A4 5300 CPU (3.4GHZ, 1MB Cache, 2 Core, HD7480D, Socket FM2, 65W, Retail Boxed)
    • LiteOn IHAS124-04 24x SATA Half Height Internal DVDRW Drive - Black
    • Cooler Master Elite 120 Advance - Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case, supports standard ATX PSU - White, USB 3.0
    • Corsair CMX4GX3M2B1600C9 XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Kit
    • WD 500GB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Green
    • ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Motherboard (Socket FM2+, AMD A88X, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Mini ITX, 1x PCI Express 3.0 x16, A-Style)

I know how much it cost me, and I know what the minimum I'd take is, just interested to see the ballpark figures.

That was the original build and only thing I've added is an SSD and another HDD.

Only does 720p, but for about 4 years was perfect. Primarily ran kodi along with addons and downloading and what not.

Crazy how this change over to the FireTV has made my entire downloading setup perfected over 8 years, immediately redundant :D

With all due respect, that's junk in 2018

Ask for 200 and be prepared to accept ~ 150

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

With all due respect, that's junk in 2018

Ask for 200 and be prepared to accept ~ 150

Your probably being extreme labelling that junk.

But yeah the price point is probably where I was at.

Junk might be a strong word but really it's not far off in the context of the price mentioned. It would genuinely be worth more as parts than a full machine probably. I would say about €150 is realistic/correct.

This video just proves why I have not bothered to upgrade in about 10 years. Still rocking a X58 system with a Xeon X5660.

I am interested in a Ryzen system though but as I always said it may not be a Ryzen+ but a Ryzen 2 when they are released in 2019.

Great video but most of those games are not really CPU heavy at all, Far Cry Primal more so but even that isn't known for being a major CPU hog.

Big difference if you tried Battlefield 1 64p online or Warhammer Total War 2, for example.

Still amazing considering it's age and for 60fps gameplay still totally viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Amd saying they will have their mid range 7nm line of RX600 cards out next year which will have GTX 1080 performance for $250. I'll believe it when I see it AMD but if true I'll be all over it. This is the last of the GCN architecture before they move onto the multi gpu one that will be like Ryzen for gpu's.

https://wccftech.com/rumor-amd-navi-mainstream-gpu-to-have-gtx-1080-class-performance/

Great video but most of those games are not really CPU heavy at all, Far Cry Primal more so but even that isn't known for being a major CPU hog.

Big difference if you tried Battlefield 1 64p online or Warhammer Total War 2, for example.

Still amazing considering it's age and for 60fps gameplay still totally viable.

I understand what you are saying but they are still great performers. The x58 overclocked hexa core Xeon's have more CPU grunt than overclocked 4 core i5's. His results are a bit fishy considering he was comparing against the top of the range latest mainstream processor. Maybe if he compared against 2nd or 3rd or even 4th gen i7's with their 4 core 8 threads but honestly they would be a couple frames ahead of a x58 hexa core CPU.

Personally I am still happy with my computers performance so I will hold onto it for now.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Amd saying they will have their mid range 7nm line of RX600 cards out next year which will have GTX 1080 performance for $250. I'll believe it when I see it AMD but if true I'll be all over it. This is the last of the GCN architecture before they move onto the multi gpu one that will be like Ryzen for gpu's.

https://wccftech.com/rumor-amd-navi-mainstream-gpu-to-have-gtx-1080-class-performance/

I wish they were released this year as I would get one as Vega is still extremely expensive. It's crazy the money they are going for.

I wish they were released this year as I would get one as Vega is still extremely expensive. It's crazy the money they are going for.

That's AMD's problem when it comes to GPUs though.
    They get to the party late with sub optimal performance.
    If Nvidia release their next consumer product by that time then you will see current products like the 1080/1070ti available for that type of price in the 2nd hand market.
    Chances are the performance per watt and cooling will still be in Nvidia's favour so if given the choice this time next year to buy a 1080/1070ti for 250 or AMD's offering, which would you choose?
    I think I would be going with the green team even though I long for a strong product from AMD :(

That's AMD's problem when it comes to GPUs though.
    They get to the party late with sub optimal performance.
    If Nvidia release their next consumer product by that time then you will see current products like the 1080/1070ti available for that type of price in the 2nd hand market.
    Chances are the performance per watt and cooling will still be in Nvidia's favour so if given the choice this time next year to buy a 1080/1070ti for 250 or AMD's offering, which would you choose?
    I think I would be going with the green team even though I long for a strong product from AMD :(

As was said in that article AMD will only compete with Nvidia when they release a multi die GPU like the Ryzen CPU's if it can be done effectively, that is low latency etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jim is on the warpath again. Don't care enough to watch :pac:

ED E wrote: »
    Jim is on the warpath again. Don't care enough to watch :pac:

I watched both videos. He also called out AMD fanboys at the end of the second video and how he is not one even though it comes across as he is and how his own followers turned on him when he slated Vega in two or three videos he made prior to it's release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

I5 4560 with 16gb ddr3 1600mhz or I5 6600 with 8gb ddr4 2133 MHz ??
    Using PC for rendering, animation, photoshop

will56 wrote: »
    I5 4560 with 16gb ddr3 1600mhz or I5 6600 with 8gb ddr4 2133 MHz ??
    Using PC for rendering, animation, photoshop

More RAM better than faster RAM for the tasks you listed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

More RAM better than faster RAM for the tasks you listed

Thought as much, thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement