Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ED E wrote: »
    Jim is on the warpath again. Don't care enough to watch :pac:

Was quite funny, he was forced to back track the next day. Although he's been baited into having a go at Hardware Unboxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm half considering grabbing an 8700k, so I'm just gonna throw out some feelers to see if there'd be any takers here who might be interested in my current parts

I have a golden sample 4790k which I run at 4.9ghz at 1.33v with a Z87X-D3H and 8GB of Samsung RAM (forget the model, it's really fast stuff) which I have clocked at 2200mhz wtih extremely fast/tight timings.

Send me a PM or reply here, it could be up to 2 months before (if!) it happens though!

Anyone's welcome to ask what the system was used for etc too.

On a side note, what's the second hand system build market looking like? I was considering putting together a Ryzen build, a mix of old and new parts and selling it off. I'd use it as a vehicle to offload some of my older parts too (like my still-top-notch Dark Rock Pro 2 cooler for example).

Worth my time?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gumbi wrote: »
    I'm half considering grabbing an 8700k, so I'm just gonna throw out some feelers to see if there'd be any takers here who might be interested in my current parts

I have a golden sample 4790k which I run at 4.9ghz at 1.33v with a Z87X-D3H and 8GB of Samsung RAM (forget the model, it's really fast stuff) which I have clocked at 2200mhz wtih extremely fast/tight timings.

Send me a PM or reply here, it could be up to 2 months before (if!) it happens though!

Anyone's welcome to ask what the system was used for etc too.

On a side note, what's the second hand system build market looking like? I was considering putting together a Ryzen build, a mix of old and new parts and selling it off. I'd use it as a vehicle to offload some of my older parts too (like my still-top-notch Dark Rock Pro 2 cooler for example).

Worth my time?

Thanks!

How much you looking for it?

How much you looking for it?

What do you think is fair? I haven't given it much thought yet, but I just quoted someone 300-350 (and being open to offers). It may or may not happen and it'd be 1-2 months before the sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Gumbi wrote: »
    What do you think is fair? I haven't given it much thought yet, but I just quoted someone 300-350 (and being open to offers). It may or may not happen and it'd be 1-2 months before the sale too.

300€ for 4790 seems bit steep, doesn't it?
    My 6700k with mobo didnt sell fir 350€.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077NM3CGQ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
    ^ What's the catch with this lads? Can't find anything on this - looks too good to be true.

1440p, Freesync, 27" - all mod cons.

Can someone ruin it for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seems a great deal. Not in 'too good to be true' territory, there's a few decent 1440p freesync 27" monitors in a close price range....but it's a good deal and it's a really nice looking monitor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Shlippery wrote: »
    ^ What's the catch with this lads? Can't find anything on this - looks too good to be true.

Despite saying wqhd, the specs further down say 1080p. Look up the model just to be sure before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Despite saying wqhd, the specs further down say 1080p. Look up the model just to be sure before you buy

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.HX1AA.011

Pretty sure that's the one - there's a 1080p version that's 144hz, but I've an AMD card and I'd be movingfrom this

It looks like maybe a worthy successor (I just want 1440p being honest, with freesync the bonus)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I sold my 1080Ti and 1080 for a good price and am content now to use my 980Ti until something that's actually good value comes along....not just the pre-mining craze 'good value' either, but REAL value.

The new generation of cards was over-priced before all this crap blew up.

I want to upgrade my PC but feel that it is not the best time due to the GPU pricing and also I like to get a GPU at the start of its life so will wait for either Nvidia or AMD to tempt me with something powerful and affordable on their next iteration of cards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im glad i bought a 1080 when i did. Although it was expensive its turned out to be worth it.

I couldnt replace it for similar money now.

Im upgrading CPU this year,cant wait any longer. Most likely be the 8700k.

Is there any info on a 9th gen from intel?

Wonder will its be an octo core/16 thread i7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

EoinHef wrote: »

Is there any info on a 9th gen from intel?

Wonder will its be an octo core/16 thread i7

You can bet your bottom dollar it'll require yet another new motherboard/chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You can bet your bottom dollar it'll require yet another new motherboard/chipset.

And maybe special RAM too.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote:
    Im glad i bought a 1080 when i did. Although it was expensive its turned out to be worth it.

Same, bought my 1080Ti for 700 right before the boom

twinsen wrote: »
    300€ for 4790 seems bit steep, doesn't it?
    My 6700k with mobo didnt sell fir 350€.

Maybe. Did yours sell with RAM though? My particular chip clocks really well and competes favourably with a 6700k, which is the reason I'm asking for a slight premium.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Shlippery wrote: »

There's a 144hz version called KG271U Abmiipx (I have the latter). Any other version (or without Abmiipx) is 60hz. It's very deceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Skerries wrote: »
    I want to upgrade my PC but feel that it is not the best time due to the GPU pricing and also I like to get a GPU at the start of its life so will wait for either Nvidia or AMD to tempt me with something powerful and affordable on their next iteration of cards

Same boat. I want to do a full system refresh at this point but not at current RAM and GPU prices.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Yeah id assume that givin intels history. Doesnt really affect me though.

Uograding from Ivy Bridge so id need a new board anyway and if i do go 8600k its plenty for what i need.

I ask because if we could expect 9th gen this year it might be prudent to wait,if not im gonna just go with the 8600k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Redfox25 wrote: »
    And maybe special RAM too.
    :)

thinks of the initial Pentium 4 chipset that required pricey RDRAM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

thinks of the initial Pentium 4 chipset that required pricey RDRAM

People complain about a memory cartel, yet never mention Rambus! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

L wrote: »
    Same boat. I want to do a full system refresh at this point but not at current RAM and GPU prices.

Pretty much in the same boat as well. I only need a CPU, mobo and ram but with ram prices costing almost a third of the price, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

Ive put it off for over a year and a half now waiting for prices to stabilise/drop which hasnt happened.

After a bit of reading tonight Ryzen 2 2700X looks like its a really good option givin AM4 is here to stay for awhile.

It was £329.99 earlier today on amazon which made it a good bit more than the 8600K which ruled it out,its now down to £289.99 so its back in the running:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Almost there again :pac:
    Solitaire wrote: »
    But not to fear, for here it has been reborn! Dedicated to ED E for claiming the 10,000th post in the previous thread! murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

We're only at about 91% of a thread rebirth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

880 posts to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

We can do it
    (879 to go)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Recommendations for a stop-gap GPU?
    New or 2nd hand, I'm not pushed but I don't want to spend more than €250
    I want play FarCry 5 @ 60fps 1080p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement