Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

SickBoy wrote: »
    Recommendations for a stop-gap GPU?
    New or 2nd hand, I'm not pushed but I don't want to spend more than €250
    I want play FarCry 5 @ 60fps 1080p

You should be able to pick up a 1060 3gb at that price for new. The 1050 TI would also do the job, but you'll be dropping the graphics down to medium/high for a solid 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C6ESI0dcuo

Lob around 10% off any of the 1060 6gb results to get the 3gb version result. Gameplay is at ultra settings in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Xenoronin wrote: »
    You should be able to pick up a 1060 3gb at that price for new. The 1050 TI would also do the job, but you'll be dropping the graphics down to medium/high for a solid 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C6ESI0dcuo

Lob around 10% off any of the 1060 6gb results to get the 3gb version result.

Thanks for that, ideally I don't want to have to turn down the graphics too much.
    Would I be able to get 60fps with a 6gb 1060 on high/highest settings at 1080p?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Intel not manufacturing high production 10nm until 2019. They must still be having issues.

I know all manufacturing is different and TSMC have started mass producing 7nm so is Intels 10nm better than 7nm? I know just by looking at the numbers 7 is better than 10 but that is not always the case depending on how they were produced.

Intel's next mass produced chip will be still be on 14nm.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_10nm_will_not_ship_in_high_volumes_until_2019_-_whiskey_lake_is_coming_on_14nm/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

We still have to take into account that the MSRPs are for the typically pricier Founder's Editions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Intel not manufacturing high production 10nm until 2019. They must still be having issues.

I know all manufacturing is different and TSMC have started mass producing 7nm so is Intels 10nm better than 7nm? I know just by looking at the numbers 7 is better than 10 but that is not always the case depending on how they were produced.

Intel's next mass produced chip will be still be on 14nm.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_10nm_will_not_ship_in_high_volumes_until_2019_-_whiskey_lake_is_coming_on_14nm/1

Was'nt there a report about how intel were having issues with, 7 and 10 nm months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

SickBoy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, ideally I don't want to have to turn down the graphics too much.
    Would I be able to get 60fps with a 6gb 1060 on high/highest settings at 1080p?

I'd go with the 6gb. 3 really doesn't cut it for a lot of newer games and it's only going to get worse. Texture detail is the main graphical setting that improves visuals and is completely dependent on graphics memory.

Pubg on medium textures uses over 3.5. Developers are pushing up to 8 now with widespread 8gb cards on the market and 16gb cards on the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Guy on adverts selling an FX-9590 + GTX1070 PC....as if that weren't already a pretty bad combo, he's using a cheap air cooler for the FX-9590, that's gonna lead to a seriously bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Was using in Photoshop and got BSOD stating 'critical process died'

Was that due to out of date graphics driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Guy on adverts selling an FX-9590 + GTX1070 PC....as if that weren't already a pretty bad combo, he's using a cheap air cooler for the FX-9590, that's gonna lead to a seriously bad time.

Makes me sad that I have been running a stock fx6300 and hd7970 since 2013 and never an issue with it. Still runs everything I need it to, including fallout 4 the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Jacovs wrote: »
    Makes me sad that I have been running a stock fx6300 and hd7970 since 2013 and never an issue with it. Still runs everything I need it to, including fallout 4 the last few weeks.

I'm guessing High settings instead of Ultra?

cos this guy has the same setup & only gets low-40s to high-50s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Jacovs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm guessing High settings instead of Ultra?

cos this guy has the same setup & only gets low-40s to high-50s

Must check the settings, but will assume nowhere near ultra. And get dips in framerate sometimes alright. But its fine for me and my purposes.
    It wasnt even mid spec 5 years ago so for it to still be going strong, im happy with that.

It really depends on the game and how it's coded. But the FX does horribly in quite a few CPU heavy games, in fact in Fallout 4 the 8-core FX-8350 is slower than a 4th gen dual core i3. Battlefield 1 online is another area where it does pretty dismally.

The FX-9 line were an actual abomination - monsterous 250w of power consumption, required a special motherboard and liquid cooling on top of the €350 price tag, and still traded blows with €100, 60w 4th gen i3 in games. (in fairness the FX always fared a lot better in producivity)

AMD put their money into cores>IPC in 2012, when core count meant essentially nothing....a risk that did not pay off at all over the years, even as cores started to become mildly important.

The same tech is used in the Xbox One X and PS4 PRO (at radically lower clockspeeds so you can see how they fall flat), and despite both consoles having impressive graphic capability, neither can run Fallout 4 beyond a locked 30fps (and it still dips something fierce regularly).

The funny thing is, a few times on Reddit I've pointed out that the reason some games on either console can't offer a 60fps 1080P option over 4K 30fps isn't because of graphics, it's because the CPU cannot attain 60fps regardless of graphics settings so they've no choice put to lean towards graphics fidelity at lower framerate.

Always seem to get heavily downvoted, for some obscure reason people don't seem to want to accept/know the truth.

I actually have both a PS4 PRo and an Xbox One X so I certainly have nothing against either, but it's a shame to see such brute power (especially in the Xbox One X) crippled by a crappy CPU.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It really depends on the game and how it's coded. But the FX does horribly in quite a few CPU heavy games, in fact in Fallout 4 the 8-core FX-8350 is slower than a 4th gen dual core i3. Battlefield 1 online is another area where it does pretty dismally.

The FX-9 line were an actual abomination - monsterous 250w of power consumption, required a special motherboard and liquid cooling on top of the €350 price tag, and still traded blows with €100, 60w 4th gen i3 in games. (in fairness the FX always fared a lot better in producivity)

AMD put their money into cores>IPC in 2012, when core count meant essentially nothing....a risk that did not pay off at all over the years, even as cores started to become mildly important.

The same tech is used in the Xbox One X and PS4 PRO (at radically lower clockspeeds so you can see how they fall flat), and despite both consoles having impressive graphic capability, neither can run Fallout 4 beyond a locked 30fps (and it still dips something fierce regularly).

The funny thing is, a few times on Reddit I've pointed out that the reason some games on either console can't offer a 60fps 1080P option over 4K 30fps isn't because of graphics, it's because the CPU cannot attain 60fps regardless of graphics settings so they've no choice put to lean towards graphics fidelity at lower framerate.

Always seem to get heavily downvoted, for some obscure reason people don't seem to want to accept/know the truth.

I actually have both a PS4 PRo and an Xbox One X so I certainly have nothing against either, but it's a shame to see such brute power (especially in the Xbox One X) crippled by a crappy CPU.

The respective console subreddits are complete hive minds, objective truth doesn't tend to go down well unless it's the correct objective truth :pac:

Mind you the pc master race subreddit is just as bad. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Managed to some dirt cheap hardware from Maplin closures in UK, meant to post earlier:
    GTX 1060 3GB 80 eur
    i5 6400, asus z170, 4gb ddr4 70 eur

Got a cheapo case, 450w corsair psu and el cheapo SSD on amazon to complete. All in all pretty good performing PC for 240ish euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Managed to some dirt cheap hardware from Maplin closures in UK, meant to post earlier:
    GTX 1060 3GB 80 eur

Got a cheapo case, 450w corsair psu and el cheapo SSD on amazon to complete. All in all pretty good performing PC for 240ish euro!

Well done !
    I've been stalking my local one and not a sniff of a bargain in it :mad:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

GTX 1060 3GB 80 eur

That's really good going for the money. Throw another stick of RAM in there and you got a stew going on.

There were heavy discounts in the one near me as well but all that is left is a load of CPU coolers, PSU's, etc. All radically overpriced to begin with, so even at 50% off I'd still prefer to get them on Amazon and ahve proper support/warranty for a similar price.

Their prices were completely outrageous. Their focus seemed to be on low volume, high price sales rather than the other way around. Stuff like GTX1060 6GB for €600 when you could get it for €350 online. Advertising dual Core AMD A6 bundles with 4GB ram that would struggle with Minecraft as "extreme gaming bundle" for €400.

Always a shame when jobs are lost but no pity for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

There were heavy discounts in the one near me as well but all that is left is a load of CPU coolers, PSU's, etc. All radically overpriced to begin with, so even at 50% off I'd still prefer to get them on Amazon and ahve proper support/warranty for a similar price.

Their prices were completely outrageous. Their focus seemed to be on low volume, high price sales rather than the other way around. Stuff like GTX1060 6GB for €600 when you could get it for €350 online. Advertising dual Core AMD A6 bundles with 4GB ram that would struggle with Minecraft as "extreme gaming bundle" for €400.

Always a shame when jobs are lost but no pity for the company.

Yup, its sad to see people losing their jobs but even with the discounts the stuff is way overpriced.

The only time I got good service in the Dublin branch was the time I bought back a fan because it was a noisy POS.

I've been outright ignored at the till before, to the point I walked out of the shop rather than buy whatever I had in my basket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Checked the one in Parnell street a few weeks ago after hearing about their 60% off sale and any of the stuff that had a price on it was still a good bit cheaper online even after discount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The staff tend to be reasonably knowledgeable in my experience so I'm a bit sad about them closing. That said, their prices on PC parts were ludicrous though not as bad as their selection. You'd be much better off getting your motherboard, CPU & RAM from Amazon and assembling it yourself than buying their outdated offering for more money. It was absurd.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

GTX 1060 3GB 80 eur

That's what I call a steal. Even with just 4GB of RAM, it's hard not to call it a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Toms Hardware puts the 2700X as the best value for gaming CPU

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

Skerries wrote: »
    Toms Hardware puts the 2700X as the best value for gaming CPU

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html
    Jim'll be happy with that! :pac:

They are very decent chips though in all fairness you don't even have to overclock them to get the most out of them completely stock they are beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

on the B350 mobos it says that it only supports 2667mhz and 2993mhz on the x470 but how come people are using 3200mhz memory on them?

Skerries wrote: »
    on the B350 mobos it says that it only supports 2667mhz and 2993mhz on the x470 but how come people are using 3200mhz memory on them?

I could be wrong but they are the speed the chips are certified to run everything above that is overclocking. It's the same on Intel though they have better memory support since they are still using a really old architecture while Ryzen is a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Speaking of Ryzen RAM speeds I finally got my RAM to run at full speed after almost a year since my build!

Motherboard - Asus Prime X370-A
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 1600
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX - 2 x 8GB @ 3000mhz

I decided to update the BIOS firmware today and try using the DOHCP profile - no dice.

After updating the fimrware i got a warning I've never seen before, it said the RAM configuration had changed and was only showing 8GBs despite 2 x 8GBs installed.
    It showed 8GBs in each RAM slot in the BIOS Settings, but the total amount of RAM only amounted to 8GB's instead of 16GB.

When I booted into windows the system properties it said 16GB RAM - 8GB Usable.

This prompted me to download the manual and check which DIMM slots the sticks should be in as I'm using dual channel 2 X 8GB.

And then I realized my mistake, I had the RAM sticks installed in DIMM slots A1 and B1, instead of A2 and B2!

Slotted them into A2 and B2, changed the profile to DOHCP, and 3000mhz instead of 2933mhz and boom the computer posted first time!

What puzzles me is how it only showed 8GBs though, maybe the firmware update no longer accepts dual channel memory in the wrong DIMM slots?

Its strange but I'm delighted to be finally running at full speed.

Now time to try some games for a stability test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    boom the computer posted first time!

Noice, well done. Just in time to upgrade to a 2700X too :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement