Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

New vulnerabilities found in Intel chips. Hasn't been released yet as to give chip makers time to react.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/spectre-ng-vulnerabilities-intel-arm-amd,37002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

New vulnerabilities found in Intel chips. Hasn't been released yet as to give chip makers time to react.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/spectre-ng-vulnerabilities-intel-arm-amd,37002.html

Deja vu?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Deja vu?

One of the points raised by the industry is that once people figured out how to exploit branch prediction, especially the way Intel did it, its going to be near impossible to stop it because the fixes are really specific work arounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Hrrm. I'm turning over doing a system refresh in my head - anyone have some good review sites/recommendations for current PSUs and AM4 Motherboards?

Last time I did a refresh, I ended up spending as much long term on cable extensions and PCI-e cards to add things like USB 3 headers as I did on the original board. I'd like to learn from my mistake and reduce the clutter this time around. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Seriously considering trading in my 7700 and mb and switching to a Ryzen setup.

• Advertisement

Joshua J wrote: »
    Seriously considering trading in my 7700 and mb and switching to a Ryzen setup.

I would also. The second gen Ryzen chips are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gastarbeiter

Go for 1080ti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Back again with sound issues - this time with my own PC! I'm completely stumped. Repasted CPU and GPU, put system back together, and around that time (don't see how the repasting could have affected it - was just coincidence IMO, I'm not using PC every day so I can't pin pint exactly when this broke for me) my sound completely broke.

I've tried every driver under the sun. Universal drivers, the drivers on the realtek website (which I had already), reinstalled drivers, re-enabled Windows audio services. No sound. Windows detects sound coming thought my speakers. And yet I hear nothing. Nothing through the headphone jack on my system either.

I reset my PC (reinstall of Windows), no joy. The Creator update a few days ago didn't help. I had tried to do a system restore to prior Windows updates and revert to a previous build before that, but it was failing for me (despite no apparent corruptions in the ini files which I checked as per advice online).

USB audio thingy works for me for now, but it's pretty sh!tty sound-wise. Please help! I have a Z87x-D3H.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

L wrote: »
    Hrrm. I'm turning over doing a system refresh in my head - anyone have some good review sites/recommendations for current PSUs and AM4 Motherboards?

I'm looking at doing a 2700x build and was looking at this x470 board
    probably overspecced but might as well get it in case I need the extra specs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Gumbi wrote: »
    Back again with sound issues - this time with my own PC! I'm completely stumped. Repasted CPU and GPU, put system back together, and around that time (don't see how the repasting could have affected it - was just coincidence IMO, I'm not using PC every day so I can't pin pint exactly when this broke for me) my sound completely broke.

I've tried every driver under the sun. Universal drivers, the drivers on the realtek website (which I had already), reinstalled drivers, re-enabled Windows audio services. No sound. Windows detects sound coming thought my speakers. And yet I hear nothing. Nothing through the headphone jack on my system either.

I reset my PC (reinstall of Windows), no joy. The Creator update a few days ago didn't help. I had tried to do a system restore to prior Windows updates and revert to a previous build before that, but it was failing for me (despite no apparent corruptions in the ini files which I checked as per advice online).

USB audio thingy works for me for now, but it's pretty sh!tty sound-wise. Please help! I have a Z87x-D3H.

Thanks.

You hardly have it set to output audio digitally in the sound card settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

L wrote: »

Last time I did a refresh, I ended up spending as much long term on cable extensions and PCI-e cards to add things like USB 3 headers as I did on the original board. I'd like to learn from my mistake and reduce the clutter this time around. ;)
    For PSUs:
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/

But tbh 90% of systems will do fine with any decent 550-650W Gold-rated PSU; EVGA, Corsair & Seasonic make great units in that bracket.

I like to use Geizhals to deep-dive into motherboard specs before searching out reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Doge wrote: »
    You hardly have it set to output audio digitally in the sound card settings?

Nope, outputting through the speaker as it always have. I even had a refresher of troubleshooting basic sound issues here recently when asking for help due to my inability to fix a sound issue remotely for someone (turns out I was doing everything right except the damn monitor had no speakers built into it despite me being told it had LOL).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Haha! I'm not sure if it is a joke or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I bet its really cool though.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You guys want a joke? Someone messaged me the other day.

"Do you've something that can play GTA V at ultra settings at 150fps? Budget around 150-200."

I can only hope it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

"Do you've something that can play GTA V at ultra settings at 150fps? Budget around 150-200."

I only hope you gave him an honest response!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So...uh....do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

At 640 X 480 resolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Maybe if he was talking 150-200 bitcoins, he would have a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So...uh....do you?

I get these kind of unrealistic questions all the time and I always try to meet someone halfway if I can....like I tell the person I can give them something like a 4th gen i3 + GTX1050 for 300 that would run stuff like that at high/very high settings reasonably well....then I course I get the "would ya take 200 for it" or "I'm looking for something closer to my budget". OK, good luck with that search!

My all time favorite at Christmas time though I felt really bad

Person: "Looking for something for me son he wants to play the new Call of Duty and Battlefield, would ya take 200 for this" (something like a GTX1050/i5 4590/8GB)
    Me: "Sorry, that's way too low. I'd take 350 but 200 is just far too low"
    (later) Person "never mind I got one somewhere else"

Can't remember exactly but had a look at his comments out of curiousity and he'd agreed to buy something like a Core2Quad with a Radeon 5450 for 200.

Imagine the excitement in that house Christmas morning trying to play Battlefield 1 for the first time.

Amazingly, but unsurprisingly, someone's given it a go on Youtube:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Can I get a little help with monitor set up.

I've a Sapphire 560 pulse 4gb with a Display port, a DVI and a HDMI output.

I have 3 monitors, 2 small Dells and a 26" HP. Not gaming on all 3, its purely for workspace. Gaming will be done on the HP monitor only

2 dells have DVI inputs and the HP only has HDMI.
    Do I just get a DP to DVI adaptor and are these easy to come by ?

Am I likely to encounter any issues connecting a DVI monitor to the DP output on the GPU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

will56 wrote: »
    Can I get a little help with monitor set up.

I've a Sapphire 560 pulse 4gb with a Display port, a DVI and a HDMI output.

I have 3 monitors, 2 small Dells and a 26" HP. Not gaming on all 3, its purely for workspace. Gaming will be done on the HP monitor only

2 dells have DVI inputs and the HP only has HDMI.
    Do I just get a DP to DVI adaptor and are these easy to come by ?

Am I likely to encounter any issues connecting a DVI monitor to the DP output on the GPU ?

DP to DVI converters are reasonable money £6 on amazon, you can also get a DP to DVI cable if you don't have any spare DVI cables about.

Your GPU supports three monitors so you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

glynf wrote: »
    DP to DVI converters are reasonable money £6 on amazon, you can also get a DP to DVI cable if you don't have any spare DVI cables about.

Your GPU supports three monitors so you should be good.

Its one of those things that was wrecking my head till I wrote it out :rolleyes:

I'm going HDMI to HDMI, DVI to DVI and then DP to DVI (Cable ordered)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Skerries wrote: »
    aw85tm91hnw01.jpg

Intel still having problems with 10nm while TSMC are releasing details about the advantages of their future 5nm over 7nm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Intel still having problems with 10nm while TSMC are releasing details about the advantages of their future 5nm over 7nm.

They're not directly comparable between fabs apparently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What's the deal with the asus z270 maximus IX, why is it so expensive? £256.97
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-1151-MAXIMUS-HERO-Motherboard/dp/B01NCON196/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525942718&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+maximus+ix+hero

People seem to be moving onto the z370 anyway with newer cpus, so this will age badly from a reselling point of view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

What's the deal with the asus z270 maximus IX, why is it so expensive? £256.97
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-1151-MAXIMUS-HERO-Motherboard/dp/B01NCON196/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525942718&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+maximus+ix+hero

People seem to be moving onto the z370 anyway with newer cpus, so this will age badly from a reselling point of view?

They aren't moving onto z370 by choice. They have to. The new Coffee Lake CPUs (8th gen intel) are not compatible with any other chipset.

Z270 can only support Sky Lake and Kaby Lake (6th and 7th generation Intel).
    It is an overclocking+SLI (two pci-e 3.0 x16) board which explains the price, but even then, it jumped in price once it went out of stock.

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/ASUS-1151-MAXIMUS-HERO-Motherboard/product/B01NCON196?context=search

Reselling? Difficult to say. AMD forced progression from Intel, so more cores are now being pushed. The limitation of 4c8t max on Z270 might push the price down faster. On the other hand, it is still a damn good board that should hold a decent amount of value since it supports many modern features (usb-c, usb3.1, 2x m.2 sockets), and isn't that old at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement