Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Where are people buying parts these days? Need some coolant, a thumbscrew, couple of braided cables, couple of led strips etc

Scan aren't too bad if you're getting a few bits at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

yoshiktk wrote: »

That loop looks like it has never been cleaned, you can see the build up in the very secure looking tube coming from the cpu. How has this thing not leaked?!
    Edit: I just noticed that the radiator is cable tied to the psu

Squaredude wrote: »
    That loop looks like it has never been cleaned, you can see the build up in the very secure looking tube coming from the cpu. How has this thing not leaked?!
    Edit: I just noticed that the radiator is cable tied to the psu

Who needs fan on radiator when You can use one on psu...
    I find it when looking for price of I5 2500k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Absolute state of that. I'd say it'd nearly overheat browsing the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so that's where ORAC from Blake's 7 went

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

parts will very expensive shortly with the US and China trade war. New tax of 25% on a lot of PC parts coming on Aug 23.
    Lets hope a lot of companies bypass the US and ship from Taiwan etc direct to EU.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/pc-hardware-to-get-extra-25-tax-due-to-us-china-trade-war.html

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Blazer wrote: »
    parts will very expensive shortly with the US and China trade war. New tax of 25% on a lot of PC parts coming on Aug 23.
    Lets hope a lot of companies bypass the US and ship from Taiwan etc direct to EU.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/pc-hardware-to-get-extra-25-tax-due-to-us-china-trade-war.html

That’s US, not here

• Advertisement

Vega 64 has finally dropped below price of GTX1080 on OCUK. And now comes with 3 free new games - Strange Brigade, Star control Origins and Assassins Creed Odyssey. I picked one up last night, came to around €520 delivered, considering the free games that's pretty great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

twinsen wrote: »
    That’s US, not here

It's not that simple.

Most electronics are manufactured/assembled in multiple stages and are the result of worldwide supply chains. Anywhere the supply chain involves a step going from China to the US, the end product will go up in cost a bit worldwide.

That said, I'm not convinced PC parts will be hit hard by this. AMD doesn't own fabs these days so should be able to change its supply chain handily enough, Intel only has one fab in China, and both ram and Nvidia's GPUs are mostly made in Taiwan not China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

That's very tempting! I was going to wait till the new cards were released but I may think about getting the Vega64 now.

kevovek wrote: »
    That's very tempting! I was going to wait till the new cards were released but I may think about getting the Vega64 now.

The promotion for the three games runs until the start of November and none of the games are out yet so I'd hold fire myself until we see what Nvidia's new card line up looks like. You could see the launch/maybe even reviews and still get a Vega 64 before the first of these games hits release.

It's not a bad deal, but it does seem a lot like AMD trying to clear some flagship stock ahead of it falling a generation behind.

It's also worth considering how much three preorders are worth to you, assuming you wouldn't normally preorder those games. It's probably not their face value (€140).

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey: €60
    Star Control: Origins: €35
    Strange Brigade: €45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Ive had the vega 64 for months now and am very happy with it. Just change the fan profile a bit and your sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

L wrote: »
    It's not a bad deal, but it does seem a lot like AMD trying to clear some flagship stock ahead of it falling a generation behind

In terms of "clearing stock", I doubt it. The card is a mining powerhouse with stupid low production and as a result of that, it was the last to meet demand.

I think it sitting between the 1070 and 1080 price wise is exactly where it should be in the gaming market.

If you have freesync and a older card, its a pretty good buy now.

Vega 56 with a bios update is a way better buy.

In terms of "clearing stock", I doubt it. The card is a mining powerhouse with stupid low production and as a result of that, it was the last to meet demand.

Mining demand slumped hard around April. Best estimates (based on AMD partners reporting earnings) are Q2 Vega 64 demand being down about 60% on Q1. That, €140 of free game preorders thrown in, and the timing of the offer with respect to Nvidia, does make it look like they've more stock held than they ideally want to have.

Vega 56 with a bios update is a way better buy.

Vega 64 is generally better than GTX1080, but Vega 56 is actually more expensive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

A blast from the distant past, what a bit over 1k (punt) would get you in 1998
    457906.jpeg

My first proper PC was a Gateway, a Pentium I. Fond memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mine was a Compaq Presario something something. Fairly sure it had an Athlon processor of some description, 450 Mhz or so. I remember sticking in a Voodoo 3 2000 and my jaw hitting the floor looking at Half Life going from software rendering to hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

My first PC was an Intel 486 DX2 66 from 1992 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

First was a 2nd hand 386 that I bought with monitor for 200 quid from some guy advertised at Uni in '97. Was so fleeced on that looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

2nd hand 286 bought from a company my sister worked for when they went bust .I had a mate working in a PC company and I think I remember him upgrading it to a 386 or 486 ( my memory is more than a bit fuzzy on this but I think that was possible back then ). Also I remember afterwards a few of us in my friends kitchen laughing at him when he spent a fortune on a 1TB hard drive asking him why he would buy something that he could never hope to fill .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That games bundle is a bargain with a 570. You can pick 1 up for around €200.

Are mindfactory doing free deliveries now or is that only to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will never forget the days when pairs of large cowprint boxes arrived at the house. Was always a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see boutique case manufacturers CaseLabs have gone under;
    We are very sad to announce that CaseLabs and its parent company will be closing permanently. We have been forced into bankruptcy and liquidation. The tariffs have played a major role raising prices by almost 80% (partly due to associated shortages), which cut deeply into our margins. The default of a large account added greatly to the problem. It hit us at the worst possible time. We reached out for a possible deal that would allow us to continue on and persevere through these difficult times, but in the end, it didn’t happen.

We are doing our best to ship as many orders as we can, but we won’t be able to ship them all. Parts orders should all ship, but we won’t be able to fulfill the full backlog of case orders. We are so incredibly sorry this is happening. Our user community has been very devoted to us and it’s awful to think that we have let any of you down. There are over 20,000 of you out there and we are very grateful for all the support we have received over the years. It was a great journey that we took together and we’re thankful that we got that chance.

We understand that there will likely be a great deal of understandable anger over this and we sincerely apologize. We looked at every option we had. This is certainly not what we envisioned. Some things were just out of our control. We thought we had a way to move forward, but it failed and we disabled the website from taking any more orders.

It was a privilege to serve you and we are so very sorry things turned out this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

The 32core/64thread Threadripper reviews are to be out on Monday, will make for interesting reading then.
    https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_2nd_gen_ryzen_threadripper_2990wx_and_2950x_preview/1
    ED E wrote: »
    Will never forget the days when pairs of large cowprint boxes arrived at the house. Was always a good day.
    My first was a Gateway 2000, it had a 100MHz Pentium if I remember correctly. I remember playing Populous: The Beginning on it lots, and the requirement being a 133MHz Pentium.
    I see boutique case manufacturers CaseLabs have gone under;
    Not suprising given the reason, Trump's tarrifs were always going to hurt US companies.

I wonder are others like Corsair or Cooler Master suffering as a result.

Gateway 2000 with a Pentium 166Mhz was my first.

I remember FF VII being my first experience with upgrades being needed to run a game. It had this crazy unreasonable requirement for a video card. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

A blast from the distant past, what a bit over 1k (punt) would get you in 1998
    457906.jpeg

First real computer for me ( after the C64 ) was a Dell ~Dimension V 400 (400Mhz) with Win 98 .

Cost me about £1400 with monitor , printer and Harmon Kardon speakers :eek: around 1998/99

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement