Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

z0oT wrote: »
    Not suprising given the reason, Trump's tarrifs were always going to hurt US companies.

I wonder are others like Corsair or Cooler Master suffering as a result.

A lot of companies are going to move their remaining manufacturing out of the US as a result or close down. No other options, you can't run a business when there is a chance a moron can increase supply chain costs by 50%+ cause "trades deals are bad".

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

A lot of companies are going to move their remaining manufacturing out of the US as a result or close down. No other options, you can't run a business when there is a chance a moron can increase supply chain costs by 50%+ cause "trades deals are bad".

The killer is that even if you personally can, you're at increased risk of one of your suppliers not being able to. That means you're going to have to hold more inventory to manage the risk, and deal with more variation when you replace them.

So not only do you get higher consumer costs, but less efficient businesses and a less reliable/lower quality end product. It's almost 101 of what not to do to help manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I9-9900k to hit 4.7GHz on all cores
    Anyone want to buy a good,barely used lung? Need $$$ for upgrade to I9 and gtx 20xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So the 2990WX(32 Core Threadripper) reviews are out and the end result is that its a CPU monster but really handicapped in memory intensive workloads due to two of the dies having no direct memory access. Which means it comes with a serious caveat and that is not a good business move. A lot of people are going to purchase this chip for 1600 quid and get pissed off when a 1950x or 2950x would outperform for their workloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bought my Gateway a year after that and the specs were massively improved

P3 500Mhz
    128mb Ram
    13Gb HDD
    16mb Voodoo 3 3000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Inviere wrote: »
    Whats the predicted price range for that thing?

WCCFTech are saying US$450 for the i9, but they're not a reliable source.

Edit: D'oh, that's the same link you quoted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Redfox25

when is the intel 9 series due out?

Redfox25 wrote: »
    when is the intel 9 series due out?

October? Wccftech wrote 1st October, as far I can see all other sites write the same date.
    I hope that with launch the price of 8700k will go down, whats funny I think it went up like 20£ in last couple of days. Was certain that I saw it for 290ish £.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Before I sell it elsewhere, does anyone have any interest in Far Cry 5 for a decent price? Looking at Kinguin it's still around €40, and I'd take €15. You'll probably need my purchase details to redeem it as it was a promo, so probably prefer someone here rather than some random person on adverts.

Also have a pack promo code for the upcoming Assassins Creed, Strange Brigade and Star Control (came with Vega 64) - would do the triple for 30 for anyone here? I think they're about €120 new.

• Advertisement

Also have a pack promo code for the upcoming Assassins Creed, Strange Brigade and Star Control (came with Vega 64) - would do the triple for 30 for anyone here? I think they're about €120 new.

I'd be interested in those @30 Terror. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if that is the Aorus code for FC5 it may be tied to your account as I had to confirm my email address when redeeming as you do it through a web link as opposed to UPlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

L wrote: »
    I'd be interested in those @30 Terror. Cheers.

Cool, shoot me a PM.
    if that is the Aorus code for FC5 it may be tied to your account as I had to confirm my email address when redeeming as you do it through a web link as opposed to UPlay

Ah, fair enough. It's hit and miss with promos....some require basic info, some make you jump through the seven circles of hell because god forbid you'd want to give them to someone else! Though again through this forum I don't mind sharing details like that with regulars, when I know they're not going to pull a stunt.

Always found Far Cry really boring personally, first and second game were good but I just can't get onboard with 3, 4 and 5....find them really samey and repetitive compared to something like Fallout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If i was looking to sell the below on adverts what sort of ball park should i be looking at:

Hyper 212 Evo
    8gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengence LPX Ram
    AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
    Corsair HX 750W Gold PSU
    Coolermaster HAF 912

All in good nick and will be givin a good clean.

Bonus in work has been delayed,and thats what im using to buy the new PC parts so gonna wait till October for the launch of the 9th gen Intel stuff to pull the trigger so im thinking might get this stuff all sold between now and then.
    It will leave me with no PC but for the sake of not having overlap i think it will work better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote:
    3570K Hyper 212 Evo 8gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengence LPX Ram AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
    PC Twins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    PC Twins :)

January 2013 i built mine,im guessing a similar time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like Nvidia will be announcing the GTX/RTX 2080 next week.

Looks like Nvidia will be announcing the GTX/RTX 2080 next week.

Seems they've already announced the Quadro RTX at a tradeshow today. So I'd say it's a fair cop that we'll see the 2080 announcement on the 20th.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-unveils-turing-architecture-providing-a-glimpse-inside-the-next-geforce-cards/

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

So the 2990WX(32 Core Threadripper) reviews are out and the end result is that its a CPU monster but really handicapped in memory intensive workloads due to two of the dies having no direct memory access. Which means it comes with a serious caveat and that is not a good business move. A lot of people are going to purchase this chip for 1600 quid and get pissed off when a 1950x or 2950x would outperform for their workloads.
    It really needs a heavily threaded workload that isn't sensitive to memory or PCIe access because of that issue, when that's not an issue the numbers are extremely impressive, rendering being an example. I gather the Epyc Server stuff doesn't suffer from that issue.

I wonder what'll Intel answer it with? The biggest Xeon they have currently is the 28C/56T 8180M Platimum.They likely have higher core Xeons planned, but whether they'll bring them to the desktop is another issue.

https://ark.intel.com/products/120498/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180M-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_50-GHz

Regardless it's nice to see the envelope getting pushed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

z0oT wrote: »
    It really needs a heavily threaded workload that isn't sensitive to memory or PCIe access because of that issue, when that's not an issue the numbers are extremely impressive, rendering being an example. I gather the Epyc Server stuff doesn't suffer from that issue.

I wonder what'll Intel answer it with? The biggest Xeon they have currently is the 28C/56T 8180M Platimum.They likely have higher core Xeons planned, but whether they'll bring them to the desktop is another issue.

https://ark.intel.com/products/120498/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180M-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_50-GHz

Regardless it's nice to see the envelope getting pushed again.

Think Linus said it well at the end of his review. 32c/64t is a very small market but the fact that AMD went and built it means that someone will eventually have a use case for it and it puts pressure on Intel to try and come up with something to match it/better it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote: »
    January 2013 i built mine,im guessing a similar time?

March 2013 :)

will56 wrote: »
    Think Linus said it well at the end of his review. 32c/64t is a very small market but the fact that AMD went and built it means that someone will eventually have a use case for it and it puts pressure on Intel to try and come up with something to match it/better it

The same situation is with server processors, Intel again delayed 10mm to 2019. Its a good chance for AMD to gain a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone know a good alternative to Skype for making calls to phones?

Since moving to Discord, it's the only thing I use Skype for, so if there was a lightweight, stand-alone application that allowed me to load credit, and make calls from my computer using my headset, that would be ideal.

Serephucus wrote: »

Since moving to Discord, it's the only thing I use Skype for, so if there was a lightweight, stand-alone application that allowed me to load credit, and make calls from my computer using my headset, that would be ideal.

I kept using Skype myself for calls and VOIP (the infrastructure behind it makes it a bit more reliable) but apparently there's decent functionality for it in google hangouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Line maybe

Hangouts worked like a charm!

When you first try call someone you'll get a message about credit, with a link to top up, which bring you to Google Voice (which AFAIK, doesn't work here). You add money to that, and hey presto.

The only thing is that the rates are nowhere near as good as Skype. Landline is about 2.5c/m, mobile about 10c/m.
    Not sure what Skype's rates are exactly, but last time I looked they were fractions of a cent.

The only thing is that the rates are nowhere near as good as Skype. Landline is about 2.5c/m, mobile about 10c/m.
    Not sure what Skype's rates are exactly, but last time I looked they were fractions of a cent.

That's not that far off Skype's - 2.4c and 10.6c. (Link is down the bottom of this page - can't link directly)

Damn. If no idea Skype had gotten that expensive. Hangouts it is so!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Might be worth seeing if you can top up hangouts through the play store using unused phone credit if you happen to have a pay as you go phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Some help please lads.

My sons pc is acting up and I'm ready to boot it out the window. It's an msi z97s board, sometimes when it's starting it double beeps and hangs with the error code A2 which apparently means hardrive issues. Disconnect the hdd and leave the ssd in and it starts up. Reconnect the hdd and it goes back to sometimes starting and sometimes not. Ran a test with crystal disk and it says they're both fine but we added a new one just in case and the problem persists even with the old one disconnected.

I've also tried different sata cables and different sata ports. Anything else I can do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement