Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

superg wrote: »
    Some help please lads.

My sons pc is acting up and I'm ready to boot it out the window. It's an msi z97s board, sometimes when it's starting it double beeps and hangs with the error code A2 which apparently means hardrive issues. Disconnect the hdd and leave the ssd in and it starts up. Reconnect the hdd and it goes back to sometimes starting and sometimes not. Ran a test with crystal disk and it says they're both fine but we added a new one just in case and the problem persists even with the old one disconnected.

I've also tried different sata cables and different sata ports. Anything else I can do?

Different sata ports off the same block?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Try a PCIe sata adapter as it sounds like there is a problem with your sata ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Different sata ports off the same block?

There's two blocks. Port 1 and 2 are on one and the other 4 are on a different one. Both SSD and the original HDD are in Port 1 and 2 but I moved the HDD to port 3 on the other block while testing and it was still happening. Also tried the new one in port 3 with the original not connected.

I had both HDDs connected when the new one came so one in port 2 and one in port 3, had to remove both to get it to boot to windows from the SSD in port 1 but as I say, sometimes it will boot with them all connected, it still gives the double beep but it doesn't hang on the error code.
    Try a PCIe sata adapter as it sounds like there is a problem with your sata ports.

Don't think I have one.

superg wrote: »

Don't think I have one.

They are only cheap worth investing just to see if issue resolves itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Maybe the hardrive has an old boot partition in it somewhere causing issues?/switch the boot load order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They are only cheap worth investing just to see if issue resolves itself.

Yeah I'll have to.
    RossieMan wrote:
    Maybe the hardrive has an old boot partition in it somewhere causing issues?/switch the boot load order.

Shouldn't be, the SSD was always the boot drive since I built it and the HDD just storage but I'll check.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Minor smell of smoke about an hour ago followed by my PC turning off. Turns out the CPU fan on the Cooler Master 212 has had its last spin so temporarily replaced an Arctic F12 and up and running again. Only concern is that it is a slightly lower spec (74cfm vs 93cfm) 3 pin fan, really just meant as a case fan. What would people here recommend as a decent 120mm 4 pin fan for attaching to a CPU heatsink, and once you've got a 4 pin PWM fan is there any difference between a case fan and heatsink mounded CPU fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

smacl wrote: »
    Minor smell of smoke about an hour ago followed by my PC turning off. Turns out the CPU fan on the Cooler Master 212 has had its last spin so temporarily replaced an Arctic F12 and up and running again. Only concern is that it is a slightly lower spec (74cfm vs 93cfm) 3 pin fan, really just meant as a case fan. What would people here recommend as a decent 120mm 4 pin fan for attaching to a CPU heatsink, and once you've got a 4 pin PWM fan is there any difference between a case fan and heatsink mounded CPU fan?
    I always recommend Noctua.

You can pick up NF-P12 Redux 1700 for 13-14 euro.

If it breaks within its 6-year warranty, Noctua will replace it for free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I always recommend Noctua.

You can pick up NF-P12 Redux 1700 for 13-14 euro.

If it breaks within its 6-year warranty, Noctua will replace it for free.

Cheers, ordered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

4 X 1080ti appeared on adverts the last two days, I guess with the new cards pending release. Cheapest asking price €659 so far for anybody looking to pick one up secondhand. Not sure how good a deal they are at this stage, guess it will depend on price/performance of the new cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Looking to upgrade my desk from a standard 1m Linmmon table top from IKEA.

I'm space limited so I'm looking at either a 1200mm or 1400mm wide x 600mm deep table top. With one or two IKEA Alex units at the ends for storage.

I've invested in a monitor arm wirh desk clamp and I am a bit worried about the hollow IKEA table tops breaking. Does anyone have any experience with building a desk and where to find an alternative top?

Are the IKEA hollow IKEA desks strong enough for a clamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

jebidiah wrote: »

I'm space limited so I'm looking at either a 1200mm or 1400mm wide x 600mm deep table top. With one or two IKEA Alex units at the ends for storage.

I've invested in a monitor arm wirh desk clamp and I am a bit worried about the hollow IKEA table tops breaking. Does anyone have any experience with building a desk and where to find an alternative top?

You could try on of their counter tops, a little over 600mm deep, by I would imagine they are quite a bit stronger than the desks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

They're not really. After a while they cave in. However, a solution is to get a couple of small cheap shelves in woodies or wherever (or even a couple of flat pieces of waste wood) and put them under and on top of the desk and put the clamp on them to distribute the weight better.

I have a Linmmon desk and it's 750mm deep and 1500mm wide. You must have the small version?

Edit : Just noticed that you stated that. I have monitor, monitor stand and hi fi separates with turntable on mine and it's steady as a rock. I have an Alex beside the desk for the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

They're not really. After a while they cave in. However, a solution is to get a couple of small cheap shelves in woodies or wherever (or even a couple of flat pieces of waste wood) and put them under and on top of the desk and put the clamp on them to distribute the weight better.

Good plan - to add to this, pine deal plank is pretty cheap as well at most hardware stores and they'll even cut it to measure for you.

I have a Linmmon desk and it's 750mm deep and 1500mm wide. You must have the small version?

Edit : Just noticed that you stated that. I have monitor, monitor stand and hi fi separates with turntable on mine and it's steady as a rock. I have an Alex beside the desk for the PC.

I saw you recent post in the pictures thread. I'm not worried about loading the desk as such. More about the load of the monitor being mounted on this desk clamp mount.

I get the feeling sustained weight on one small area of a hollow desk might lead to it buckling. Like this

I'd say you wouldn't get any buckling for quite a long time. If you're worried about that then just get an extra set of legs and mount to the middle. Those single monitor arms are usually quite light so it would only be the weight of the monitor that would really matter.

Would you not just get a monitor arm that mounts to the wall. Problem solved?

Would you not just get a monitor arm that mounts to the wall. Problem solved?

I don't think the LL would appreciate that!

it only took three weeks for my Linmmon to buckle with a single U2711 mounted on a clamp.

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You could try on of their counter tops, a little over 600mm deep, by I would imagine they are quite a bit stronger than the desks

Sounds like a safe bet!

it only took three weeks for my Linmmon to buckle with a single U2711 mounted on a clamp.

Hmmm. You must have gotten a dud. I've had this well over a year and it's as level as a level thing.

Hmmm. You must have gotten a dud. I've had this well over a year and it's as level as a level thing.

Using a clamp?

Not with a clamp but there's a fair bit of weight on top of this thing.

it's the clamp that concentrates all the weight and does the damage. Prior to getting the clamp I had a 24", 27", mac mini, external hdds and PS3 on the desk no bother. I'm not knocking the desks, just saying that they're not the best for clamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have a Ikea MALM, and using arms with that. There an indent where they are/were but no movement nor any permanent damage, this might depend on where you put anything on it.

If worried place a piece of wood top and bottom of the clamp to spread the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just setup an IKEA Tarendo & highly recommend it!
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/tables/dining-tables/t%C3%A4rend%C3%B6-table-black-spr-99000483/
    110x67cm, FULL METAL FRAME, 29euro

Pics tomorrow, am shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

whats happening there SSD market? the price crash is amazing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Less of those pesky crypto miners hogging parts, that's what. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement